Steven Erikson

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Just a heads up about some more Erikson, Malazan limited editon novels coming out this year from Nightshade publishing I just posted at my site Here, just scroll down towards the bottom. Sounds very interesting, I'm probably going to scoop these up myself, they were recently available novellas in the UK.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Good to know these novellas are getting more printings. I've managed to get myself a 2nd edition of Blood Follows and am waiting for a 1st edition Healthy Dead to arrive from the original publisher, PS Publishing. These editions were 500 copies - looks like the new ones are even more limited, but they're leatherbound and signed....
I hate when this happens. I only just got these books. I could've waited.

I'm really looking forward to finally reading The Healthy Dead - I've heard it has some of the best humour out of all of Erikson's Malazan work.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

How are the PS Publishing editons? Nice format/presentation?
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Warmark Jay
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Warmark Jay »

Just finished "Gardens of the Moon" and am 50 pages into "Deadhouse Gates". A couple of people have mentioned Erikson's humor; really like his stuff so far, but it's tad bit grim - the last thing I'd expect from the Malazan books are laughs!
"That must be the King."
"How do you know?"
"He hasn't got sh*t all over him."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well, you haven't met Iskaral Pust yet. :)
And what about Kruppe - didn't you find him amusing?

Ainulindale - I'm not really sure how to evaluate it, but I don't have any complaints. Although the cover is in black and white...
Warmark Jay
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Warmark Jay »

I liked Kruppe a lot, even more so after
Spoiler
the Big Reveal that was the Eel
I thought GoTM was great; meandered a bit in the middle sections but the last third of the book was riveting. Looking forward to more Erikson!
"That must be the King."
"How do you know?"
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

I'm at the Malazan Empire forum as well and I have just rediscovered this author. I had started reading his series last year, finished the first book Gardens of the Moon and then got half way through Deadhouse Gates but university started to kick my ass so I had to set it down but when I came back about 4 months later, I had forgotten most of the story line and things were fuzzy so now that I have the next few months off, going to re-read the entier series, about half way througuh GOTM.

Erikson is quality, he puts out books on a regular basis and the world is fantastic, cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Warmark Jay
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Warmark Jay »

Moving this over from another post...

Just finished "Deadhouse Gates" by Steven Erikson. Frankly, I'm torn.

There's a lot to like about it (and the preceding "Gardens of the Moon", which I actually thought was a better book). The characters were interesting, Erikson's "Warrens" as the source of magic was a cool concept, and the gritty portrayal of fantasy warfare was striking.

That being said, IMHO the book suffers from a few things. First, it's poorly edited - it's WAY too long, and rather than "end", it simply "stops". (Granted, it's the second book in a series). Second, Erikson's conflicts and antagonists are not very compelling. The "Chain of Dogs" plotline aside, the Whirlwind and the Shapeshifters are nebulous, abstract antagonists; there's no sense of danger or doom in the book - I never felt that the main characters (or the Malazan Empire) were under any sort of threat. Finally - the book is relentlessly bleak, and depressing to read. I was particularly put off by the numerous scenes/descriptions of violence directed towards children. (In a way, the book reminded me of the Gap Cycle, but unlike SRD's stories, there wasn't much point to the violence - it seemed to be be there for shock value alone).
"That must be the King."
"How do you know?"
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

*spoilers*

Warmark Jay,
there's no sense of danger or doom in the book - I never felt that the main characters (or the Malazan Empire)
Hmm why not? The entire subcontinent is in danger of being taken by the rebels, and the Goddess of the Whirlwind has come. There's actually a lot for the Empire to be afraid of.

Regarding the violence: I guess it's a matter of what one can take. I wasn't too put off by it myself.

And yes, the length is daunting and unnecessary.
Warmark Jay
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Warmark Jay »

Hmm why not? The entire subcontinent is in danger of being taken by the rebels, and the Goddess of the Whirlwind has come. There's actually a lot for the Empire to be afraid of.

Regarding the violence: I guess it's a matter of what one can take. I wasn't too put off by it myself.
I think for me this is ultimately an issue of caring about the characters. I'll put this in the context of The Gap Cycle; reading that, I felt a personal connection to Morn, Davies, Angus, and even a bit of sympathy for Nick. Part of the problem for me with "Deadhouse Gates" was that I really felt that Duiker was the only character who had some sort of moral depth to him; while I understand and to an extent applaud Erikson's decidedly "gray" take on the genre, I felt that his players came across as being very apathetic towards the carnage around them, and even as they strive to topple the Empress, one wonders what difference we'd see if they were to assume power. There's no sense, IMHO, of "heft" to the story (as there is in Donaldson's work). I'll read the next installment in whatever form it takes (The Bonehunters?) when it hits the States; like I said, I enjoyed "Gardens" and am curious to see where the story goes.
"That must be the King."
"How do you know?"
Cail84
Stonedownor

Malazan

Post by Cail84 »

These books are simpley the best books i have ever read. I put them above George R.R. Martin's ASOIAF and our very own SRD. The world is just so massive and well built. The history is intriging along with the cast of hundreds if not thousands as someone else said. Its not just that which makes these books spectacular. Its Erikson's ability to write heart felt emotion and amazing dialouge with his characters. I remember reading the ending to DeadHouse Gates and Memories of Ice and i was just stunned so much that i had a hard time functioning the next few days after each of them.
Cail
Zenos is my homeland, i weep when i am away from her.
Cail84
Stonedownor

Post by Cail84 »

FizbansTalking_Hat wrote:I'm at the Malazan Empire forum as well and I have just rediscovered this author. I had started reading his series last year, finished the first book Gardens of the Moon and then got half way through Deadhouse Gates but university started to kick my ass so I had to set it down but when I came back about 4 months later, I had forgotten most of the story line and things were fuzzy so now that I have the next few months off, going to re-read the entier series, about half way througuh GOTM.

Erikson is quality, he puts out books on a regular basis and the world is fantastic, cheers.
Well met my friend its been awhile since ive been to these boards. I've been rather busy with life and the other two boards i frequent. To me Erikson is more then quaility he is the best. Thats just me however and im glad your back into reading the series bro:)
Cail
Zenos is my homeland, i weep when i am away from her.

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”