Which Tolkien book is your Favourite?

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Which Tolkien book is your Favourite?

Post by Revan »

Remember that The Hobbit, the LOTR and the silmirllion weren't the only books he wrote. Which ones did you like best?
Last edited by Revan on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well, I've only read the Hobbit, LotR and the Silmarillion. I have to say I prefer the Silmarillion as a whole, but if you count LotR as seperate books probably books five and six (aka Return of the King)
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

For me it's ROTK. I just love the end where Sam has to carry poor Frodo on his back. Sam's the real hero of the book, if you ask me, and that one last selfless act summed it up for me--best part of the book. Can't wait to see it in theaters.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Lord Foul wrote:For me it's ROTK. I just love the end where Sam has to carry poor Frodo on his back. Sam's the real hero of the book, if you ask me, and that one last selfless act summed it up for me--best part of the book. Can't wait to see it in theaters.
I love the part where aragorn shows up in those ships... I actually cheered
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

....and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years beyond count.

Me too! That's my favorite passage in the whole thing. :D :D :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Lord Foul wrote:For Sam's the real hero of the book, if you ask me, and that one last selfless act summed it up for me
He is for me, too, Foul. Tolkein seemed to like him more and more, too. Look at the way he had Sam slip quietly welcomed into family life, at the very end. Rewards earned and received.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
TRC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TRC »

The Hobbit has always carried the entire works for me. I would have liked to had more to read of Bilbo and his adventures. Sort of Like donaldson did,three books for bilbo, three for frodo.
Yes I guess we can all just get along !

Smurfy, simply Smurfy !!!

WWW.CALDERWOODBOOKS.COM
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Even though his son Christopher wrote it, I love Unfinished Tales, but you need to have read The Silmarillion to understand it, and you need to have read The Lord of the Rings to understand that.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

birdandbear wrote:
....and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years beyond count.

Me too! That's my favorite passage in the whole thing. :D :D :D
It's my favourite passage out of all his books... I love it!
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

My favourite passage is one that JRRT himself thought one of his best:
The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.

'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.

And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
For me, the worst disappointment in all of Peter Jackson's films was that he left out the confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch-king.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

That's probably going to be in the extended version, I saw a confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch-King in a trailer. As for which book I liked the most, I have to say that it's both RotK and the Silmarillion, in two different ways: the first one is more "human-centered", meaning it's easier to lose yourself into the story and Middle-Earth itself, since there are human beings you can relate to; the Silmarillion is to me the quintessence of epic sagas as far as fantasy books go.
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

variol son wrote:Even though his son Christopher wrote it, I love Unfinished Tales, but you need to have read The Silmarillion to understand it, and you need to have read The Lord of the Rings to understand that.

Sum sui generis
Vs
True, a great book that was. Chuck full of good sh!t.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'm going to say that over all I like the Fellowship the best of the main 3 from the trilogy.
It was innocent, rich in history and there was a real sense of fear of Frodo being caught by a Black Rider.
And as Sam would say, it had the most Elves!

I can reread most of the Fellowship anyday and enjoy it all but I only focus on a few parts of TT and mainly the Appendix of the RotK if I do a reread on them.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Landroval
Stonedownor

Post by Landroval »

Fellowship of the Ring. I first read it back in 1978. Fantasy was not the norm then, and this book completely swept me away. The chapter "shadow of the past" is the greatest chapter in fantasy i've ever read. I still remember the impact it had; there was so much at stake, the power of Sauron seemed so terrifying! The Black Riders, when they turned up, were enthralling, I was so curious to know what they were - I never twigged that they were the Nine. And the the Council of Elrond brought the pan to boiling point. It answered so many questions, but also the treachery of Saruman felt like a mortal blow. At Moria, I just knew something dreadful was going to happen. And then Gandalf fell. I couldn't believe it. Just couldn't believe it. I actually couldn't read on at that point, my sense of sorrow was so acute. How could thy hope to succeed without Gandalf?

TTT and ROTK were also great, but Fellowship was the zenith.
Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”