67%
Something else, maybe?
No votes

Total votes: 6

[Syl]
Unfettered One

The Matachin Tower

Post by [Syl] »

It still needs a lot of work, but you guys are welcome to come over and check things out. Post whatever you want. Tell me what you think.

thematachintower.theland.ws/phpbb/
Last edited by [Syl] on Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Check the poll
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I picked: keep Severian--I was worried when I saw ur place that Servants would remember the nasty flamer who upset a bunch of folks here not long ago. But we're more mature than that, we've got 2 let it go! As u kno I haven't read the books but Wolfe was one of Zindell's (Neverness) 1st major supporters. So some1 using Severian's name in vain would be akin 2 badmouthing Danlo! Despite my vow of ahimsa them's fightin' words! :x :D
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Thanks, Danlo. Still, I want people to be as comfortable as possible at the site. Besides, the poll also answers an aesthetic/vanity question. So, whatever you guys think (about the site, too), let me know.
-George Steiner
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Your new site looks AWESOME Syl.
I like the choice of Severian.....very cool.

I'm not familiar with Gene Wolfe's work but thanks to you I now have a new author in investigate. Please tell me his books are readily accessible.....Zelazny and Zindell are hard to come by over here. :roll:
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Your sight is the bestestest. And I love it mostester. :lol:

:Hail: :hnk:

I haven't read the books either but I will try my best to moderate all the forums that DO NOT have to do with Gene Wolfe until I do. It would spoil alot, I think, if I even peaked in the forums that do. You guys are the best for suporting Sylvanus in making this happen. |G
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Thanks, Infelice and Hellfire (hug). I think it's shaping up nicely so far. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Vain for not only making it happen but helping it look so cool. Of course, you all know Vain is da man.

Wolfe's books are easy to find (easier to find than read, at least. like Martin, he doesn't pull any punches ), though sometimes it's hard to find the one you're looking for. I believe all or most of the books are still in print.
-George Steiner
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

No, I'm da God ;)...or was that...da Devil? :twisted:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Eh, I couldn't really get into being a Severian. Went back to Sylvanus.
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I'll have to pop in and check it out when I get home from work...I read a couple of his books many years ago, so probably can't contribute much, but will try to post on occasion. ;)
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Ok, you have yourself another member... ;)
Love as thou wilt.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I will register and post as soon as I finish the Latro novels I have! :) ...Which may take a while. :(
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Cool. Thanks guys. I'm sure you'll notice the site has a rather New Sun slant to it. That's pretty much because other than about 3/4 of The Long Sun and a lot of short stories, that's all I've read of Wolfe so far (the rest of his books being on my wish list). I just started the site because 1) I love what I've read so far and 2) I couldn't find a single other Wolfe forum out there. What I'm getting at is that you don't have to have read Wolfe (though it wouldn't hurt, of course) to come join up. There's fun for the whole family... well, maybe not, but there's fun, at least. I could also use some mods.
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I'll sign up over there when I get a little more free time. :)

What's in a name? You can call yourself whatever you like. It's a new board.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Syl, I started my Endless Shadows for the same reasons as you, just I've read at least 2 other Zelazny novels besides the Amber ones...but with the scope of his works, I've read very little. I'm sure your Wolfe board will be successful, since there are bound to be fans waiting for a board like yours! :)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Right on. We're growing, slowly but surely. As soon as the search engines catch up, I'm pretty sure it will increase. Now I just gotta find some stuff to fill up the forums until then. :mrgreen:

You guys know I'm completely open to input. I really want this to have a community feel (maybe even some emphasis on the commune root of the word). Let me know what you want, and I'll try to make it so.
-George Steiner
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

I decided to change my name and sorry if that confuses anyone. I never tried this name before on any other boards but I played this rpg videogame called Arc the Lad and there was this neat little charactor named Bebedora. I tried to find what it meant but no luck so far. I will probably change it to one of the names in the series when I finally get around to reading them. I just like the sound of it. BEBEDORABEBEDORABEBEDORABEBEDORA

What's in a name? A caer by any other is still a caer to me :P
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

i too have just registered .. and the board looks great!!

i really like the black!!

I dont know the works of Wolfe .. but if not for Endless shadows I would be aware of the amber series either .. and they are on my most definately to do list now ..

so it may be a good introduction to the works of Gene Wolfe .. and i am looking forward to posting there ..

I am not a regular .. I just dont have the time to post broadly .. but I am interested to visit as often as I can ;)

if for no other reason right now .. than it looks cool!!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Looking good, Syl! (The site, that is ;) ). I'm registered :D
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I signed on, Danlo. My name is Ur-Vile on the website.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “Haven Farm”