NFL '06 Moves and Draft

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i think Bush is too small. does anyone expect the Texans to use him on returns? if he gets hurt they will be torn apart.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Broncos traded the #22 pick for San Francisco's 2nd and third round pick.

think McGinest and Washington are near the end. Chronicle reports that Bush asked the Texans for way too much money and they are talking with mario Williams to force the asking price down on Bush.
While Mcginest may be on the decline he still represents a solid commodity who knows the system triyng to be employed by the coaching staff (Crennell), and brings a winners attitude to a team that has none of that. I don'ts see players like Washington, or a Sam Adams declining. They are space eaters, whose purpose is not to be moved. Haven't seen Washington being pushed backwards his entire career :D These are good additions for this year - the other years/contratc numbers mean nothing in the NFL (not guranteed). i liek what Crennell is doing here, and with him essentialy etting his last 2 years #1 picks backs ((at WR and TE - both potentially big playmakers) they are going to be a tough team (even if not a winning one yet)

Regarding Bush - while the value of any runningback at the #1 overal pick is questionable simply regarding average career length /risk to injury, if any running back ever looks to fit the mold it's Reggie Bush. Has anyone made it look more easy in recent years? Is he not absolutely uncoverable by LineBackers in the passing game? I think some prospects get to a point where people try to find reasons to knock them, when there is noting on any film to suggest they should, and then backs it up at the combines/personal workouts. At 5'11 205 pounds (and players don't get smaller in the NFL) he is not a beast, but he is hardly abnormally small. It's very comparable to Marshal Faulk when he entered the league, an Faulk was the games' best player for a 3-4 year run.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Great post Ain--totally agree with you re: Browns. Maybe it's the thought of Bush going to the Texans that scares me--I think Carr's a better QB than he's made out to be, but Houston's O line looks like Beetlejuice's teeth-if they don't improve Bush and Carr could have very short seasons. The Texans need a whole heck of a lot of work and Reg is not a one man saviour. I, sorta, think he'd be better off on the Colts or even St. Louis (since you mentioned Faulk) where passing and blocking schemes can make him that much better...
fall far and well Pilots!
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Maybe it's the thought of Bush going to the Texans that scares me--I think Carr's a better QB than he's made out to be, but Houston's O line looks like Beetlejuice's teeth-if they don't improve Bush and Carr could have very short seasons.
Don't get me wrong. The Texans are hamstrung by the media blitz that comes along with the first pick in a draft taht features potenyial special RB (Bush) and a Hometown God (Young). If I were the Texans (easier said then done) I'd trade down, and pick Brick (a great tackle prospect, a position that generally gives best value as a high pick) who fills a dire need and pck up some extra picks. .You know there are teams who would covet having their choice at the top (the Jets, and Raiders come to mind). I love Bush's ability but Domanick Davis has had some solid years with a terrible O-line there already. I think if you protect Carr, this guy will deliver, as I have heard he has been working his butt of this off-season.

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

But Davis knows how to keep his head down and shoulders squared, one flashy move by Bush and it could be all over. I agree with you about them needing Brick, and if they were really smart they should pick up Pennington (UNM) as a sleeper to help him--he's huge and can really move people (that's why Moore ran up his back all the time) granted it was against Mountian West teams, but in two years I bet he could even move someone of Washington's caliber and size. OC Ryan Cook (UNM) is almost as big as Pennington and faster...

In ESPN's mock draft poll today most people feel (including Moi) that the Chargers should use their #19 pick to snag CB Antonio Cromartie of Florida State.

Denver is making some very interesting moves--they're even trying to swing Javon Walker---I doubt it will happen, but interesting efforts none the less.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

But Davis knows how to keep his head down and shoulders squared, one flashy move by Bush and it could be all over.
The same could be said of any player. I think that anytime there is a dynamic player, there is a tendency to forget he has played football all his life. :D Bush is a game breaker, but I have never seen him waste motion, he gets up fields, and actually shows strength everytime someone puts hand on him. While the NFL is much is obviously much dfferentn I seem to remember it taking like 3-4 Notre Dame players to wrap up Bush everytime he touched the ball (on the occasions they caught him). I have never seen Bush shy away from contact, he has simply had the luxury of not having to deal with it often. I'm not a USC fan, but there is absolutely nothing about Bush's game that I see lacking - albeit he is not a great blocker - but really there are very few feature backs who are ideal in this regard like a Edgerrin James. All I know is if you split Bush out wide, there is no Linebacker or Saftey in the NFL (depending if Sean Taylor is in prison) that can cover him one-on-one, it's an incredibile match up problem. It's like he gets knocked for not getting touched :D!
In ESPN's mock draft poll today most people feel (including Moi) that the Chargers should use their #19 pick to snag CB Antonio Cromartie of Florida State.
They recently traded Sammy Davis to 49er for Rashaun Woods so that may be a possiblity. I'm a FSU fan (that's my team), and if didn't have injury issues he would be a top 10 player. That kid has crazy size and atheltic ability (And ublike V-tech's Jimmy Williams, it translates on the field) for his position. He was one of the most heraled recruits at FSU (which always gets recruits), but injuries really hurt him. If Detroit traded down, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at him myself. FSU has a couple of nice players in this draft on the defensive side of the ball. (Bunkley, Simms, Wimbley etc)
Denver is making some very interesting moves--they're even trying to swing Javon Walker---I doubt it will happen, but interesting efforts none the less.
Walker is a baller, I hope he ges out of Green Bay who doesn't seem to want to do anything but take turns blowing Brett Farve (can I say that here - if not sorry). It's pathetic.

My Detroit Wish List (that we have a chance to get with our first pick)

Michael Huff
Haloi Nagota
Broderick Bunkley
Kamerion Wimbley (or Winston Justice)
Manny Lawson

The only problem is that exlcuding Huff and Nagota, the others probably are slight reaches in a draft that really has 7 Blue chip players and a slight drop off, andwith us stiing at #9 we get caught in that middle area. So if Huff isn't there I want to trade down and look for value later. I have to hope for someone taking Cutler above us, and another team to make a suprise pick to get a shot at something interesting occuring for us!

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I agree with Ain, the Texans o-line is horrible. trading down and picking Ferguson and another draft pick would be the best move. Carr just doesn't seem to be a great qb. i think he can be very good, with the right system around him. but i don't see him in the class of Brady or even Rothesberger.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:-x Hey I said it first!!! 8) But seriously Ain gets into this stuff much more than I do--(I have two foster kids and a job for Pete's sake--I can't just sun on beaches and read 5 books a day like he can :wink: ). Brady's a great QB!? :P :D :D At this point it's like saying Montana isn't...(just joking...watch stinkin' NE pick up DonTrell than suddenly I'll cross over to the darkside 8O ) No Carr's not world class, but if I were Dolphin fan (oh God I'm starting to talk like Jim Rome) I'd rather have him backing up Dante (the dangerous knee) than Harrington.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

You know, I used to be one of theose people that really questioned Brady's actual impact, and while he was no doubt a quality player, I wasn't inclined to agree with him being an elite player, and figured he was a product of a system, and being surrounded by a great defense, and a team concept. Unfortuantely it's like Danlo says however (except with opposite implications), Brady has done his deal with less than what Montana, has and while I'm not going to sit here and say he is better than Montana (for my money QB-perfection), I have little doubts that Brady is the best QB in the game bar none right now. Manning is infinitely more talented, but he is a pansy who always blames anybody else (Kicker, O-line - whoever), and he's been a pansy since college.

No Carr's not world class, but if I were Dolphin fan I'd rater have him backing up Dante (the dangerous knee) than Harrington.
I think it has been proven that you don't need an elite Qb to win Superbowls (last year), and while Carr doesn't represent perhaps the ideal package, I think he is certainly good enough to get the job done. - or at the very least we don't know if he isn't. One thing I do know is this - Andre Johnson is a god damn beast. As a Detroit fan, I would tell you how awful he is, but I have taken a vow not to acknowledge his existence

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

danlo: my bad, sorry.

ain: can't agree more about Peyton. bitching about his o-line on the field? unfortunate but Carr has done the same thing. Brady has to be in the top 3 of qbs in the sb era. along with Montana and Bradshaw.

so you think detroit will draft another wide out in the first? :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

ain: can't agree more about Peyton. bitching about his o-line on the field? unfortunate but Carr has done the same thing. Brady has to be in the top 3 of qbs in the sb era. along with Montana and Bradshaw.
The difference is Carr was sacked record amount of times 1 season, and without looking, I'm willing to bet nobody has been sacked more times at this point in his career then David Carr. He has spent a lot of time on the ground, where Manning has had pro-bowlers, who consistently keep him one of the least sacked Qb's in the league, especially considering how many times they pass.

Carr's complaints are valid as it has been a problem his entire career with the Texans, where Manning only brings it up when he doesn't get it done (i.e. in big games)
so you think detroit will draft another wide out in the first?
Luckily no WR has a grade to be drafted that hight this year. Maybbe next year for USC's Jarret or G-Tech's Johnson!

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Carr holds the ball too long, and still locks on his primary receiver. and when he checks off to audible, it seems it is always to a run.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Carr holds the ball too long, and still locks on his primary receiver. and when he checks off to audible, it seems it is always to a run.
If he always audibes to run, the percentages say he shouldn't get sacked nearly as much :D, even if he is holding the ball too long. He also only has one receiverworththrowignthe ball too, even when he is doublecovered.

While a Qb who holds the ball too long is certainly a problem, it could also be indicatvie of being behind a lot and simply trying ot make things happen in a helpless situation. When you get sacked as many timea as Carr has, whether or not even half of them are his own faut - he has a right to gripe - at management if not his O-line. I'm not a Carr backer by any means, but I do believe is failures or not the same as I see in Harrington (drafted same year), the Texans have done nothing to help Carr to even see if he has a feasble future, where Harrington simply blows.
I would suggest Carr's holding the ball too long, is still much shorter than the time he should be given. This O-line is possibly the worst I have seen on a team over a 3-4 year period, which is funny as this was a position they stressed in their first year/expansion draft. Being sacked 60+ times is simply absurd under any circumstance (76 one year is almost unbeliwvable). A least he doesn't hop around like a some ballet performance, as Harrington did as soon as he drops back :D

Damn it, I hate Harrington!

I think if Kubiak didn't feel at least semi-confident in Carr, the extension would not have been signed, and they would be looking QB for sure.
Simply hasn't learned that if he gets all the credit when they succeed, he has to take the blame when they lose. He threw his O-line under a a bus - it was ridiculous. He's been lame like this since college when there was talk he as griping about the Heisman Trophy decision. I'm glad Tee Martin won a national title at UT after he left.

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

WR Eric Moulds (nee: Bills) will be a big help to both Johnson and Carr. They need a LT much more than they need Bush. Texans have 3 other picks in the top 66 who it will be very interesting to see what they do.

btw, for those who are trying to follow this thread: "Brick" is Tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Eric Moulds as a number 2 is a definite upgrade.

Another reason why I say go Bush is this. Kubick is from the Dever school of offense. They run a rather unique (and absolutely dirty - and should be banned) run blocking system that utilizes a certain type of lineman, which generally can be gained later in the draft and coached up (ie teh ydon't have to look at prototypes). I just think Bush creates instant match-up problems, thus making it easier all the way around for other players. If bush falls to two, expect a trade to go down.

Lavar Arrington to the Giants (especca;ly at the real price of the contract is a steal). The kid is out of control, but physically he is as as good as anyone. That's a quality sign.

I'm starting to really what Detroit to make sure they get Huff, and in round two see if someone like D'Qwell Jackson (ILB) Ernie Sims (ILB) Johnathan Joseph (CB), Marcus McNeill (G/T)

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

most of the problems in Houston were the gm and the coach. Casserly let the coaches have too much say in drafting. and Capers had the worst offensive game plan in the nfl. first they never used the full back, and Baxter was decent. but they never threw to him or had him run the ball. then after a couple of years of Billy Miller being near the top in receptions for the ball, the coaching staff took the tight end out of the game plan. so you knew that they had to throw to Johnson or dump off to Davis as Bradford and Gaffney never developed. (I also blame the staff for Gaffney not doing anything, Bradford I never liked) Moulds is a two year option at most, they need to develop another young wide out. I like Walter as the 3rd receiver. I still believe that trading down, getting Ferguson and an extra pick would be best for the team. and if Bush doesn't come down on his salary demands, that could happen.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Wow didn't know Giants had actually signed him! Yes quality sign--getting Brandon Short back form Carolina should help too...didn't have that good a year last year, but he thrives in NY...and was one of the few bright spots in the conference final v. Seattle.
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

The best thing the Texans can do is take Mario Williams and start addressing that ruin they call a defense. Kubiak will install a Denveresque scheme that will use Morency and Davis (no need for Bush). Carr will have a good #1 and #2 WR and a better running game. Take the DE and work on that side of the ball. They may have 8 or 9 wins this year if their D can stop anyone. Gaffney did very well for them last year with 55 catches as a #3.

Detroit can get Jackson or McNeil but Sims, who is a WLB and Joseph will most likely be off the board.

I'm a long suffering Eagles fan...The offseason has been ok not bad nor particularly good as of yet. We got pretty good depth at most positions except LB and S but I hope our 1st rounder (14) will be Bunkley or Ngata. We may need to trade up to get either of them however. If they're gone I'd like to trade down to the bottom of the 1st and pick up Mangold or Carpenter and get another 2nd rounder. They need to pull out all the stops and trade some picks to GB for Javon Walker. Don't know what will happen but I'd like to see him in a different shade of green.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Should the Texans somehow pass on Reggie Bush, there is no way that they keep that pick.

We can only imagine the trade offers that they are fielding right now from teams trying to move up & get Bush. But how far down will they be willing to trade?

But...if they keep the pick, and do not take Bush, then my Saints are in the driver's seat with their pick. And if Bush is there, we gotta take him...and try to work out some kind of trade with Deuce involved somehow.

If Deuce is not a tradable commodity, though, then we shouldn't take Bush. Too much salary cap $$$ tied up into one position.

If we come out of the draft with AJ Hawk, and a couple of extra picks via trades, then I'll be happy.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Look at this guy! Ranked #7 from Maryland: Vernon Davis could be the first of a new, better hybrid of tight end. The guy is a freak, a 6-foot-4, 254-pound athlete with a basketball body and sprinter's speed. At the scouting combine in Indianapolis, Davis ran a 4.38 40.

Return to “Sports”