Covenant Humor

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Covenant Humor

Post by Romeo »

Was toolin' around the entire site today (not just the discussion board). Nice redesign of the main page!! Sorry I didn't notice it sooner - it's usually all I can do to drop by the board, read a few threads, and make the occassional library-sized post. :-)

Saw this humor item, though, and thought I'd add some thoughts:

Remember that Joan's maiden name is Macht. So would she be considered a Macht 1, and Roger a Macht 2? :-)

On a more serious note, I wonder if there was any symbolism intended in her name. "Machen," if I remember any of the German I took over twenty years ago (yikes!!), means "to make." "Macht" would be a conjugation of that verb (er/sie/es macht ... he/she/it makes).

He usually chooses names because of their sound and/or inherent meaning. Can anyone think of what "Macht" may have been meant to convey? It might not make any differene in the Last Chronicles, since the name was chosen when there was only three books in his plans. But ... any ideas? Is there a less common connotation of the German use of the word that wouldn't be obvious to low-level students in the US?
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

RE: Joan's name.
If you say say her name outloud, it would sound like:
Joan Mocked Covenant.

That's what I figured anyways.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

How many more months until Gillette comes out with a 7 blade razor and then sues Jay?

:lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I seem to remember Macht means roughly covenant in German. So Joan would be Joan Covenant Covenant.
ur-monkey
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by ur-monkey »

I seem to remember Macht means roughly covenant in German. So Joan would be Joan Covenant Covenant.
'Macht' can also mean 'power'...

Perhaps he was getting at Joan's power over TC? The plot thickens... :wink:
Quin, suffering from total amnesia, slowly discovers himself possessed of inexplicable abilities as his world expands...

https://www.quinsabduction.org/
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Haha, oh yeah. I remember making that years ago.

Oh no! People are using my humor in order to analyse deeper into the methaphorical meaning of the Covenant series! It's just a joke, people!!! :P ;)
How many more months until Gillette comes out with a 7 blade razor and then sues Jay?
Haha. Probably not too long. I'm doomed.-jay
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

kevinswatch wrote:Haha, oh yeah. I remember making that years ago.

Oh no! People are using my humor in order to analyse deeper into the methaphorical meaning of the Covenant series! It's just a joke, people!!! :P ;)
Haha. Probably not too long. I'm doomed.-jay
:LOLS:

On the other hand, you can let them bring it out- and then sue them... I mean you made it first :lol:
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

It's a little late now, but Romeo and ur-monkey were both right about the meaning of "Macht" (power/makes).

On the other hand it doesn't have anything to do with the meaning of the word "covenant". "Covenant" would be translated as "Bund", I think.

For example: Der heilige Bund der Ehe (the holy covenant of marriage). It sounds more old-fashioned and at the same time more 'important' (from a moral/spiritual standpoint) than a mere contract (=Vertrag).

I didn't know Joan's maiden name was "Macht". Strange. I guess the ring could be interpreted as a fusion of power/Macht and covenant/Bund then. It's a symbol for the covenant between Thomas and Joan in our reality, and a symbol for power in the Land. Or something along those lines. :?
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

So Joan's ring would be the Ring of Power!
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

:lol:

One for the Lords at Revelstone.
One for the Giants in their ships of stone.
One for the Ramen in whateveritistheycalltheirhome.
Cmdr_Floyd
Stonedownor

Post by Cmdr_Floyd »

Macht = makes as in the classic German line 'Arbeit Macht Frei' (Work makes one free) as seen at all good concentration camps and Foul's Creche....
"I see a bad moon arisin' " - John Fogarty

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”