new reader of gap series

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

bloodguard
Servant of the Land

new reader of gap series

Post by bloodguard »

ok so im about 2/3 of the way through book 2 and as expected i am really enjoying the series so far the only problem so far is that i find myself liking angus no matter how hard i try not to and i amnt proud of the fact due to the guy being an utter rapist and murderer but i also like nick as he doesnt "yet" seem nearly as bad as angus although is still mean enough to be "cool". just thought i would post this to keep you updated of what i have read and will let you know when book 2 is done.

and also would anyone like to explain the pre-empt act thanks
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:lol: well, I was having the 'liking Nick' problem (or at least somewhat sympathizing with him... see my post on second read of 'Forbidden Kowledge'); but I am in no way sympathizing with Angus. Liking the character as an element of the story is one thing, but I cannot come anywhere near the notion of 'liking' HIM...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

Yeah - I've had trouble 'liking' any of the characters. I'm in book 3 now, so Dios is having potential.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
bloodguard
Servant of the Land

Post by bloodguard »

ok finally finished book 2 now i dont know how cause my girlfriend never gives me peace she thinks 30mins is plenty reading time. anyway i agree warden dios does have potential to be a likeable character but with nearly another 3 books to go that possibly could change. i also think angus/joshua will become more likable as you sympathise with him because of his multiple zone implants but even that is unlikely so i will come back again when the 3rd book is done
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Without giving anything away, by the time I finished The Gap I liked Warden Dios a lot, and had something approaching respect for Angus. Morn also improves as she gradually stops being a victim and starts taking charge of her life.

Bloodguard, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well your guesses turn out. You'd better hold on to that, because this is an SRD book, after all, and it's chock-full of unpleasant surprises as well!
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

bloodguard wrote:ok finally finished book 2 now i dont know how cause my girlfriend never gives me peace she thinks 30mins is plenty reading time.
Oh god do I sympathize. My wife mostly reads magazines, so she doesn't understand that I need to immerse myself in the world I'm reading about, and that I can't chat about bills or anything else while I'm reading! I also have a 3-year-old, so reading time is mostly confined to lunch hour at work and bedtime.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
bloodguard
Servant of the Land

Post by bloodguard »

yeah tell me about it i have a nagging bird and a 9month old son, although he doesnt moan all the time.
so im finished the 3rd book at long last and thought the ending was quite good and i have to say pity is seeping into my head regarding angus ,to be honest the little we have heard about how he was treated by his mother so far would make anyone slightly sympathetic towards him. and my like for nick has also lessened because of his desperate bargaining and sneakiness. so i am hoping to get fired into the next book and get through that mind u i still havent got the 5th book yet so i will have to really take my time wi this one
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: new reader of gap series

Post by Dawngreeter »

bloodguard wrote:.... the only problem so far is that i find myself liking angus no matter how hard i try not to and i amnt proud of the fact due to the guy being an utter rapist and murderer but i also like nick as he doesnt "yet" seem nearly as bad as angus although is still mean enough to be "cool".

and also would anyone like to explain the pre-empt act thanks
Man the books only get better & better with each addition. It's alright how you feel about Angus; I felt the same way especially as I read more.

Don't worry about the Preempt Act as it will be adequately explained later along with a bunch of other stuff. Just keep plugging along and hold on to your hat!
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

The Pre-empt Act basically gives the UMCP the authority to take over a case from a local security agency. Angus' apparent collaboration with a Com-Mine security officer was used to shock the GCES into rushing the act through, without considering that it effectively was giving Holt Fasner carte blanche to use the UMCP for whatever purpose he wished.

By the end of the Gap I liked Angus, hated Nick and had a grudging respect for Dios. In Angus' case, we were made fully aware of everything that had happened to him growing up and it was easy to see how he'd become such a sick and depraved human being. This makes any humanity that Angus' displays seem that much more remarkable.

Initially I liked Nick's cool, swashbuckling exterior, but as the series progressed we see more and more how his appearance and reputation matter more to him than anything else. What's more, his drive in this respect stems from a bad experience that, IMO, he brought upon himself to a large extent. As SRD said at the end of the third book with regard to his villain/victim/rescuer trinity: "Now it's Nick's turn to be the victim, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy."

As for Dios, it's hard to sum him up without giving away quite a bit from the later books, but
Spoiler
I felt that, although he ultimately saves mankind from Holt's tyranny, he was a big part of the mechanism that created Holt's power in the first place. On balance, I think he does a little bit better than breaking even.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Well put, Nav. I agree with the Warden assessment, but give him much more credit and like his character much more than you, I think. He was one of my favourites. And I gain a grudging respect for Angus by the end.
greyy
Servant of the Land

Post by greyy »

They will talk about the pre-empt act so much in the rest of the book, it will all be clear to you later. At the point in the book you are in, the act is puposefully vague.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Agreed. SRD's timing of information is important.
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Re: new reader of gap series

Post by Elfgirl »

bloodguard wrote: ...but i also like nick as he doesnt "yet" seem nearly as bad as angus although is still mean enough to be "cool".
You're looking at someone who FELL IN LUST with Nick!! I'd have swapped places with Morn in a heartbeat! (and not need to fake it, either :twisted: )
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

You like the bad boys, don't you Elfy?

I am about halfway through book 1 (my second reading, but it has been 7 years). You gotta feel for the gap-sick Morn.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
exnihilo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by exnihilo »

I'm having a hard time getting going with book 4 right now. Seems like we've lost some of the momentum of the nonstop action of books 2 & 3. I guess SRD is regrouping somewhat to set up the next phase of the action.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

push ahead! Despite some slowdown in teh middle books (as I see it) Book 5 is well worth it! and you need to read all books before. It's ot just about a dynamic ending, but about how Morn comes to heal everyone! Yet net herself ... there it lies with others ...

and the last cople of chapters are tear-jerking poetic for me....
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I am done with one and starting 2. To new readers you must stay with it. MUST.

Peaceful hegemony indeed!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
neuroticboy
Servant of the Land

the "real" story

Post by neuroticboy »

ahhhh all you who are just getting through the gap for the first time. i read them all as they came out many years ago and am surely over 35 or 40 times through for the series. it's my opinion-2 things- that this is by far srd's best work, and also deserving of some of the best scifi of all times, and this is coming from a diehard asimov/clarke/niven fan. the charecter and pov writing are definitely up there with asimov, and the story runs with the best. any of you all like orson scott card's ender books? read them if you haven't

comments and mail welcome :)

j gadsby
Loredoctor
Lord

Re: the "real" story

Post by Loredoctor »

neuroticboy wrote:ahhhh all you who are just getting through the gap for the first time. i read them all as they came out many years ago and am surely over 35 or 40 times through for the series. it's my opinion-2 things- that this is by far srd's best work, and also deserving of some of the best scifi of all times, and this is coming from a diehard asimov/clarke/niven fan. the charecter and pov writing are definitely up there with asimov, and the story runs with the best. any of you all like orson scott card's ender books? read them if you haven't

comments and mail welcome :)

j gadsby
Welcome to the Gap forum and welcome to Kevinswatch, neuroticboy. Great post, too.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Re: the "real" story

Post by CovenantJr »

neuroticboy wrote:some of the best scifi of all times, and this is coming from a diehard asimov/clarke/niven fan
My girlfriend's a big fan of Asimov etc too, but she just will not believe me about the Gap. :-x

Return to “The Gap Series”