John Byrne - In the 70s and 80s my absolute favorite

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

aTOMiC
Lord

John Byrne - In the 70s and 80s my absolute favorite

Post by aTOMiC »

When I first began collecting comics illustrated by Byrne (Rog 2000, Doomsday +1 etc.) I was immediately drawn to his fluid, dramatic and somehow slightly off beat style. Rog 2000 remains one of my all time favorite strips even though there is very little of it to enjoy.
Doomsday +1 showcased what Byrne could do with darker material but it seemed to me he was able to capture exactly what I wanted to see in a comic at that time.

Once Byrne moved on to Marvel and began his run with Fantastic Four, Avengers and X-men I was totally hooked. Every character he drew seemed more fully realized than before, more real.
I've followed Byrne from one book to another and have enjoyed nearly all of what I've seen. Most of my favorite comics feature his work. Then in the 90s Byrne decided to move in another direction with his style. Something about his new approach rubbed me the wrong way. Proportions changed, shading changed, the fluidity and smooth styling gave way to a rough, dark edge that altered my appreciation somewhat however I remain an ardent fan to this day.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I don't think I really appreciated comicbook art that much until Byrne's Fantastic Four run.
Then I was totally blown away and wondered why all comics didn't look so good.
If I remember correctly he did most everything on those early FF books including the inking and coloring, unless I'm mistaken.
He was the best at making nighttime look, well, like it was nighttime!!

He just JAMMED so much into a small frame that I loved it!
Then he started to "clean up" his work I think and it did get a little boring and by the time he moved to Superman I was bored with him.

Even so, I don't think I've ever been disappointed by his artwork.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

The X-men run is my favorite Byrne, and the Marvel Team-ups. He did 2 stints on FF; the second (and longest) had him writing and pencilling it. That run went about 62 issues, and you can see him starting to fall off a bit over the last 8 or so.....
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I thought Byrne really brought a new, exciting style to the Superman remake. Prior to that, it was mostly Swan and Schaffenberger (sp?) that drew Superman, and although I'm nostalgic about those years, Byrne was a vast improvement.

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”