Beyond The Land

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Gareth Yaztromo
Servant of the Land

Beyond The Land

Post by Gareth Yaztromo »

I was wondering if there is any reference in the books as to what is beyond the boundaries of the Northern Climbs, the Southeron Wastes or the Westron Mountain range (we know a bit about the eastern sea from whence the Giants came, and where the Bhrathair and Elohim dwell)?

And what does "Outer Earth" mean? It kind of reminds me of the "flat earth" theory that the early Europeans believed in. Like that movie "Eric The Viking". *LOL*

Here's a nice pic of The Land:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I've asked many guestions like that in my thread: "What of the entire world in the Chrons was connected" Like "does a huge icemass seperate Home from NW Outer Earth?" and "could huge deserts and wastelands lie inbtween Braithiarealm and the south-central Westrons all the way 2 Doriender Corishev?". Very cool map! I've seen that one b4 but not colored that way! Thanks! And welcome again Gareth, if I haven't done so b4... :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Good question, what is "Outer Earth". Could it be like another Land altogether like whats beyond the Sunbirth Sea, or is it just another wastes....place...thingy?
danlo
Lord

What if the Entire World was connected, revived...

Post by danlo »

What if the Entire World in TCTC was connected?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For some wild reason--each time I have finished reading TCTC I get this weird, squirelly little thought in my head--tho I usually dismiss it and it goes away. However, after rereading Gildenfire last night it bugged me all day. I want to kno how the Haruchai, both clans (b4 the Bond) originally came to the Westron Mts. Was it from the west? Did they live somewhere near the desert and were chased northeast in2 the Mts 2 avoid being slaughtered by some off-shoot branch of Sandgorgons? Maybe there are some huge mountians then some glacial barrier that seperates Home from the general area that leads to the Westrons. Where, exactually is Gyre? I know it's crazy but dont some people suspect the our world was once one huge continent? What was it called: Pangora (corrected later by Juntel as: Pangea)? That seperated in2 Lemuria and Mu? Well that's the general seed to start the debate of the overall geography of the Earth in TCTC. It may have been all one continent: the way the oceans and seas worked seemed strange and kinda convoluted especially the way the Soulbiter kinda wormed around and kinda attacked where it wanted to. Could this be due to bouncing off an endless array of gulfstream? If all this is true, with the Isle of the One Tree being so hard to find--maybe it was cause it was so far out there not really located anywhere near the huge single continent itself? Crazy yes but I bet these type of questions could stir up an interesting geographical debate...(see KW old discussion forums/TC more additional comments...)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Re: What if the Entire World was connected, revived...

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Wasnt Pangea the theory that all 7 continents were connected at one time? I think it is.
Dont laugh, but Ive never been able to read Gilden Fire, I cant seem to find it in stores..... :(
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yes High Lord, but b4 all 7 totally seperated there was proposed a split in2 2 ancient "super-continents": Lemuria and Mu--Mu being the more "mythical" of the 2. This also from Juntel:
As for Lemuria and Mu, i can say that the last one is more 'legendary' (or 'mythic', like 'Antlantis'); not sure of Lemuria, but probably also of same mythic source as Mu.

Check here for names of the separated continents:

www.geo.utep.edu/class_notes/3102_Mille ... re_17.html

/edited: ok, for Mu and Lemuria, go here:
www.spiritweb.org/Spirit/atlantis-mu-lemuria.html
(caveat: the people on that site do believe in these things, atlantis and all... i prefer to read these as fantasy tales, much like SRD's and Tolkien's works... more fun that way!)
You can find Gilden-fire in Daughter of Regals, but only in the post '85 editions!
Last edited by danlo on Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Ive heard of Pangea, in my old science classes, but not this Lumuria and Mu. As for Gilden Fire, Ive seen Daughter of Regals, Ill check at the used book shop thats downtown. Thanks, Danlo!Oh, speaking of Juntel, Ive seen how youve been trying to find him , he seems like an interesting person, any luck?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Hell and blood :!: if I know, HLM! Hearthcoal is the only 1 I know who has independant contact w/him, and I haven't seen her here 4 awhile...Daughters of Regals is a great short story collection! Ser Visal's Tale and The Lady in White r superb stories! Check the Reed Stephens and other works of SRD 4rum 4 more on that.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Yes, after reading of your attempts to locate Juntel, I was on EZBoard one day and looked him up in their directory. Hes still registered. Didnt mean to but in when I did that!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

thats an interesting theory .. the Land being one giant land mass? I never really thought of it that way .. afterall isn't Elmesdene an island? .. and the Brathairealm .. isnt that an island also... mmm I guess it doesnt specifically identify them as islands .. does it? I cant recall .. I just always thought of them as islands .. and not connected to the 'Land' we have come to know. The Brathairealm may be connected to the rest of the Land from some point though .. as we have not really circumnavigated the lands of these people .. but the Isle of the One Tree .. is definitely an island! :P :wink: ..

I would love to see the entire globe or cube or 'whatever' of the 'earth' .. and it is a very interesting point you have raised as to the formation of the 'earth'/Land.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It's not clear by the maps if Eldemense is an island or not--part's of it may b a state of mind! I always got the impression that Bhrathiarealm was part of a larger continent because they traverse a heck of a lot of the coastline from parts north and then way south. They talk about the other ports and strange lands 2 the south. The desert goes on 4 a much longer way than just Sandgorgon's Doom. I always get the impression that Home is located far north of Bhrathiarealm. If that's true then Eldemense can either "cloak" itself, or really is an island...Bare Island and the Isle of the One Tree r the only totally confirmed islands.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I think Danlo is right that Bhrathairealm(did I spell that right?) is not a island. Could it be....a peninsula? Its definitely on a sea/ocean, but it cant be an island...because the Sandgorgon place thingy is behind it, not on water. Lets think about it, front side, ocean, in bakl, Sandgorgon Doom I think it is, so that means that the Realm itself is part of something bigger, which raises another question, whats beyond the Sandgorgon Doom?
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

ok I concede that Brathairealm may not be an island .. but we still have islands on the 'earth' thus not connected with one large land mass .. the Island of the One Tree and as danlo rightly mentioned Bare Island.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Ok danlo I've been searching for the thread you were talking about : "What if the entire world was connected" ... but this is the only thing I could find that was close, and it refers back to it as well. SO in short, I can't find the thread. Can you help?

My sudden urge which sent me searching was an interest in knowing the directions/distances they travelled on Starefare's Gem. Was wondering if anyone had tried to map the oceans they travelled.

DOn't suppose anyone has, eh? or at least has jotted down the headings they took whilst sailing?
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Like for instance, I think the first place they tried to go when they left the Great Swamp, was bareisle, right? Which way was that?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

East, or so it appeared...
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

So, basically, straight out away from the Land, perpendicular from the coast?
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

We need a map. A big friggin map.
Maybe in the next chronicles.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

That's right, we do need a map.

I like maps.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”