The Ravers ....

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

KaosArcana

The Ravers ....

Post by KaosArcana »

This just struck me.

How did the Ravers survive the ROD?

If it was powerful enough to diminish Foul for a thousand years or more, how did they come through it without being destroyed?
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

They probably went to some other country or something like that. Or,
hopped into their spaceship and orbited around the planet for like 1000
years or something.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The ravers vanished after the Ritual, and were mostly forgotten until Jehannum turned up at Soaring Woodhelven. It seems that in that case they were diminished or hiding until Foul regained his strength. It could be that they were affected by the Ritual as he was. As for why they weren't totally destroyed, there is almost nothing can destoy them.
After the first chrons, it was a direct attack on Foul that destroyed him, and the ravers were known to continue doing his work while he recovered (at least from the first na-Mhoram onwards).
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Even being eaten by a Sandgorgon doesn't kill a Raver! 8O
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

No but the rent is pretty cheap. :D

Yeah I think they might have either taken off somewhere (easier for them seeing as they don't have their own bodies ... see how they were able to possess rats and eels and stuff at will), or maybe they were only reduced, perhaps just too slippery a bunch of characters to be totally flattened by a RoD.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Lord Callindrill
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Callindrill »

Even being eaten by a Sandgorgon doesn't kill a Raver!
If I remember correctly, Cail said that the sandgorgon had "rent" the Raver and the "shreds of its being Nom has consumed."

Not quite the same as killing, I suppose, but for all intents and purposes it amounts to the same thing. Good ol' Sheol probably isn't coming back anytime soon.
"If we must suffer and die without hope then we will do so, but we will not despair."
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yeah it was pretty ambiguous, Callindrill, wasn't it.

Seems SRD wanted us to think that the Raver was no longer a problem, unless if by some chance some other hitherto unforeseen circumstance occurred.

As far as I'm concerned, if you keep them on a leash and take a doo-doo shovel with you, you can walk your Raver in the park as much as you like.

Maybe a muzzle.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I got the exact opposite idea! I thought SRD was trying to tell us, "He'll be back!" He could have simply had samadhi die. We'd have all been yelling, "Finally, something that can actually kill a Raver!" The freeing of the Sandgorgons didn't advance the story in any way, unless they are in the Last Chrons, so I figure the gaining of that knowledge is going to become a big problem. Maybe along the lines of a Sandgorgon-Raver!! 8O Or worse, if they're not much smarter than eels and rats, maybe a lot of Sandgorgon-Ravers!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Fist and Faith wrote:...maybe a lot of Sandgorgon-Ravers!!!!!!!!
All beating up on the AoT!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Perish the thought!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Lord Callindrill
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Callindrill »

I figure the gaining of that knowledge is going to become a big problem. Maybe along the lines of a Sandgorgon-Raver!! Or worse, if they're not much smarter than eels and rats, maybe a lot of Sandgorgon-Ravers!!!!!!!
Interesting possibility! I guess it would depend on just how "intact" the Raver's actual personality remained when he was consumed by Nom. The Sangorgon's initial behavior after the "rending" (e.g. helping to dig the channel from the lake and giving thanks to Covenant) didn't seem particularly malevolent. However, you never know.

Of course, given that Foul will be mucking about with time in the 3d Chronicles, all bets are pretty much off as to the behavior/destiny of ANY of the characters in the story.
"If we must suffer and die without hope then we will do so, but we will not despair."
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Or a horde of Sandgorgon-Ravers controlled by a Croyel, formed into a formidable wedge, with an urvile-master at the point of the wedge...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Back to the origin of the Ravers for a while. Is it possible that the ravers were "the opposite" or counterpart (which commonly exists in the Land and other fantasy litterature) to the Forstals? Perhaps so that the ravers came first but, that the Forestals were created to stand against them (and other forest-threats) like the colossus? Every act of creation must perhaps be followed by a counter-creation to not shift the balance of the Land. The bodyless beings must ofcourse hate all that have bodies... or?
SLATFATF...

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”