Okay, where do I start?

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Firestarter's a great book. He'll enjoy it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

sgtnull wrote:I need to read Firestarter, Carrie and Cujo. I think those are the only ones I haven't read, other than the Dark Tower series.
LOL, I started Beorn off with Firestarter, then started him today on Cujo. I expect tomorrow he'll get Chr-stine (those were the three I checked out from the library)...
Cail wrote:Firestarter's a great book. He'll enjoy it.

IIRC, Firestarter was the first Stephen King I read. Loved it!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I started with Salem's Lot as a teen. been reading Lovecraft this week.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I started with Night Shift and The Stand, but I was already an adult. Well, age-wise, anyway. :P
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I read The Stand back in the late '70s, so I was 9 or 10.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I read The Stand as a young adult when it was first released, or so I thought. It would have been early 1980's I think.

But, I've never read the full length version, that came out like a decade later.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I highly recommend the expanded version. It adds a lot more texture to the story.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:I highly recommend the expanded version. It adds a lot more texture to the story.
i agree.

(LOOK CAIL! something we agree on!! :biggrin: )
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Lucimay wrote:
Cail wrote:I highly recommend the expanded version. It adds a lot more texture to the story.
i agree.
Allrighty then.

Once I get Beorn to have read enough background books of King's, and he begins the DT cycle, I'll be sure to get the complete and uncut version of The Stand and make sure we both read it.

Return to “Stephen King Forum”