Atlas of the Land

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Caer Bombadil
Woodhelvennin

Post by Caer Bombadil »

Well, this past Saturday I was in the "old part" of a nearby little town, the one I was raised in. I was going to get a sammich at the cafe & go to work but I decided to check out the quite excellent use bookdealer across the street as it had been awhile since last I darkened their door. I poked around the local history and railroad sections & only went by the fantasy section as an afterthought as I headed toward the counter.

And there it was.

the late KWF's Atlas of the Land in hardcover. For $10. :D

I already had a copy of her atlas for the fantasy world of an obscure deceased Oxford don, of whom a few of you might have heard. I found not only her detailed maps, but her analyses of such items as journeys, geology from authors' descriptions of landforms, military campaigns, and so forth, fascinating and illuminating.

(I thought Mordor was a rift valley, but KWF interpreted it as a lava plateau.)

Her Donaldson atlas covers both the 1st & 2nd Chrons. So far I've found it quite illuminating and interesting. I should think these atlases are more useful for indepth research and forum discussion of the works they document, and for serious fanfic writers, than for simple reading.

Unfortunately, given her demise and the poor sales of the original, I doubt we'll see an updated or even reissued one, at least until the Covenant movie should actually come out. The movie adaptations of Lord of the Rings and Narnia resulted in a mass re-issue of lots of related and derivative old books by and about Tolkien and Lewis that had been out of print or at least seldom stocked for years. (Not to mention steaming mounds of cheap shoddy knockoff scholarship, but that's another story!) :roll:

(I also hate that she didn't live to produce a similar atlas of George RR Martin's Fire & Ice world.) :(
It is said with some truth that there is no progress without loss; and it is always said, by those who wish to destroy good things, that progress requires it. No great insight or experience of the world is necessary to see that such people really care nothing for progress. They wish to destroy for their profit, and they, being clever, try to persuade us that progress and change are synonymous.
- Gene Wolfe

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”