Melenkurion!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Old grudges die hard. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

[posted this in another topic but obviously no one wants to look at it :P so i'm going to force you! mwahahaha!!!]

this is probably gunna work out making me look stupid, but i had a go

hmm... just been playing with the earlier meanings off the words in a previous post...

according to.. ummm some1 i should give credit to but i cant remember who it was... the words meant this:

Khabaal – Fire
Duroc – Earth
Minas – Water
Nimoram – Command
Banas – Light
Mill – Air
Melekurion – Lord of Darkness
Abatha – Peace

so that means:

Melenkurion abatha! Minas mill Banas Nimoram khabaal! Melenkurion abatha! Abatha Nimoram!
-
Lord of Darkness Peace! Water Air Light Command Fire! Lord of Darkness Peace! Peace Command!

this is what i got when i translated that unfettered's quote...

water, air, light... if i'm not mistaken thats what plants and trees live on...

water air light, command fire... interesting idea... link in with mhoram's summoning of caerroil wildwood... the lord's fire among the trees.

water air light = trees = forestal - command fire

caerroil came forth when mhoram brandished his flame... mhoram commanded fire as it were... and caerroil came as the words seem to dictate...

water air light, command fire
or basically
forestal, commands fire. see where i'm going here? (god i love messing about with things...)

-

now lets look at this from the PoV of a lord... these words they know... or think they know... and write out the literal translation according to the last quote...

Melenkurion Abatha Duroc minas mill khabaal
-
Lord of Darkness Peace! Earth Water Air Fire!

...i'm looking for the sense in that... but i dont see it... missing word - "Nimoram" - Command...

what invocation would have any power without the command?

in short what i think... the lords have 6 words, but without the 7th the rest are seemingly useless. unless you put them in order you aren't going to get it right, like any half decent spell.

thoughts?
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Lord Callindrill
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Callindrill »

I seem to remember that the phrase "Banas Nimoram" was the ancient name for the "Celebration of Spring." I don't have my copy of LFB with me right now and can't verify that, but I think it would make sense given the setting in which the Unfettered One let loose the cry.

In any event, he appears to have gotten four of the six known words into his shout. It may be that Atiaran only picked up two or three of them during her earlier, short-lived studies.
"If we must suffer and die without hope then we will do so, but we will not despair."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yes, as I said in my Seven Words of Power thread:" Atiaran tells TC that Banas Nimoram means: The Celebration of Spring." 8)

Abatha doesn't mean peace, everyone knows (especially Fist) it means: Bite me! 8O :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

if Banas Nimoram means "celebration of spring" why does the unfettered yell it at the ur-viles? it doesn't make sense...
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

if Banas Nimoram means "celebration of spring" why does the unfettered yell it at the ur-viles? it doesn't make sense...
The Unfettered One was releasing the Wraiths from the remainder of the Dance, thereby saving their lives. It was not meant towards the ur-viles.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

ok with those alterations:

1st: As it was...

Banas - Light
Nimoram - Command

Melenkurion abatha! Binas mill Banas Nimoram khabaal! Melenkurion abatha! Abatha Nimoram
-
Lord of Darkness Peace! Water Air Light Command Fire! Lord of Darkness Peace! Peace Command!

-

2nd: As it is after changing...

Banas – Spring
Nimoram - Celebration

Melenkurion abatha! Minas mill Banas Nimoram khabaal! Melenkurion abatha! Abatha Nimoram!
-
Lord of Darkness Peace! Water Air Spring Celebration Fire! Lord of Darkness Peace! Peace Celebration!

Lord of Darkness Peace! Water Air... i dont see the connection...

Spring Celebration Fire... well the wraiths were made of fire weren't they? but it seems that this phrase is more of a plea than an invocation of power...

Lord of Darkness Peace! Peace Celebration!
- it seems to me that foul already knew that... thats why the ur-viles were attacking...

-

is it possible that the people of the land named the celebration wrong? or have we just got a totally wrong translation?... or am i missing something really obvious?

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I think that Banas Nimoram might be the name of the Celebration of Spring
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

argh! noone understand what i'm trying to say! never mind... i give up :P

Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

Hm! I totally missed that name for the CoS. So that means the Unfettered only knew 5 of the words... And then they learned the 6th?

Confused
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

seems strange to me that they would learn the 6th word from the 2nd ward.... but maybe thats just me...

altho, the 7 words wern't really all that powerful in kevin's lore were they? i mean if they knew most of them with 2 wards there had to be lots of other things that are just far more powerful...

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”