About Death, Burning and Stuff...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

lillianrill
Servant of the Land

About Death, Burning and Stuff...

Post by lillianrill »

I don't know whether this has been brought up before but:

I've always found it confusing how Hile Troy was killed in a fire in reality, yet lives on in the land in perfect health, while TC is stabbed in reality and slowly fades as he dies. What is the reason for this? Speculation?

Also, I don't understand how the Na-Mhoram were able to burn Vain, when the "all knowing, powerful" Elohim weren't able to stop him from leaving their domian, surely they had better things to burn him with than the Na-Mhoram, yet he remained un scathed.

Cheers!
JD
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by JD »

I'm not sure of Hile Troy was actually killed in that fire. When Convenant tried calling, and verifying Troy's actual existence, the people claimed they knew nothing of him.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I just moved up the "A Hile Troy question" topic--I think u guys will find some interesteing discussion there...
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Guest »

That's a good question about Vain. I would also think that the Elohim would have more damaging attacks than the Clave. So what's up with that???
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That the power of the Sunbane could effect him so indicates that there has 2 b a certian degree of earthpower in Vain--as the Sunbane was designed 2 warp the Land and hurt earthpower...
fall far and well Pilots!
lillianrill
Servant of the Land

Vain the Massicist

Post by lillianrill »

Thanks for that Danlo, that's great discussion on my first question...

I suppose that makes sense, Vain was a creation of earthpower, but that doesn't mean the earthpower couldn't harm earthpower. He was created by the Ur-Viles law, he was like the epitome of their skill, etc... The clave were ignorant to what he was, all they knew was that he was powerful, the didn't nessecarily hate him....the Elohim on the other hand abhored him...

It is made clear that because the Elohim are like Earthpower incarnate they probably should've done lots of nasty things to him. Kevin destroyed the Land with earthpower (The Ritual of Destruction) and probably had the power to use the power of command to destroy anything earthpower or not within the land (taking into account that he didn't use it to avoid breaking laws, etc...) I don't know...maybe Vain is a massicist?
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I don't think the elohim actually intended to harm Vain. If memory serves me correctly, the Clave were able to hurt Vain because the attack was directly focussed on him. Any other attack or harm not specifically aimed at Vain would be like water off a ducks back. That's why the Sunbane could inflict no harm.
The Wounded Moose

Post by The Wounded Moose »

Well the Elohim certainly meant to harm him when he was escaping in the water, as he started to dissolve from their attack...

And that was focused on Vain since it didn't hurt the Haruchai when they jumped in.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”