Compendium Galactica

Moderator: Goatkiller666

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Compendium Galactica

Post by [Syl] »

How it Works
Each person who chooses to play Galactic Compendium needs to create a race. That race can look like anything the player chooses, be it human (up to and including various humanoid races... whether they just look like humans with funny noses or humas with a paper plate stapled to their forehead and painted green) or blob, reptilian, robotic, whatever. But one question to keep in mind is this : "If the average member of my race fought a human, mano a mano, would it win?" If the answer is a definate yes, you probably need to scale it down.

Remember, other than rudimentary interplanetary travel (the ability for one craft to travel from the orbit of one planet into the orbit of another planet), anything that would be beyond the realm of possibility for a human will be considered an advantage. And advantages will cost you. More on that later.

All you need to tell me, via PM or email, is the name of your race (or your KW name if you create a new account), what they're like, and where they are. You will also need to tell me if you're claiming any advantages (up to two), and if you are, what your corresponding disadvantages are. There will be a whole other section devoted to advantages and disadvantages later, so don't worry.

After that, you need to post in the GC thread the name of your race and whatever information you want known about them. It could be as simple as "one of the many races of the galaxy" or a ten page entry. It's up to you. If you choose to misrepresent the real nature, history, or whatever of your race, that's fine, so long as you let me know this is intentional.

Your Ship
For most players, this is your ticket into the game. This is how you got the attention of the Galactic Compendium staff. You're now a player in galactic events. Sadly, you're just starting out. You only have one of these ships, and it's no Millenium Falcon. It can be as big as a planetoid or as small as a Dodge van. Heck, it could be a Dodge van so long as you found a reasonable way to explain it. The most important thing about it is that it's capable of taking at least one person from one planet to another. It also cannot (yet) exceed the speed of light. For most, this probably means restricting travel to within your own system.

Some things you might want to keep in mind about your ship - life support systems (how many people it can sustain and for how long), shields and durability, weapons, sensors, and communcations.

And if you can't find it on an aircraft carrier, you can't have it without it being an advantage.

Advantages and Disadvantages
What's the fun of being an alien if you're no better than the average human? Well, the answer is advantages. You can choose one or two specific areas or ways in which your race excells, be it physiologically, technologically, or whatever. You can't choose to, say, be able to blow up planets with your mind, but you can choose something like an FTL drive (faster than light) or psychic powers. Anything that would make you significantly better off than humans would be an advantage.

That's the good news. The bad news is that for every advantage your race has, they have to have an equal or greater disadvantage. Some possible disadvantages would be physical weakness, low population, warring factions among your people, and so forth. It would be best to choose a disadvantage that goes with your advantage in some way. 'They're blind, but they have better hearing to make up for it,' 'They live for two hundred years, but they can only have one child every thirty years,' or 'their ships can travel at twice the speed of light, but it takes them a year to recharge the hyperdrive,' as some examples.

Getting to Know Your Galaxy
The game will be played on a 50 x 50 graph, which will have an x axis and a y axis, the coordinates given accordingly. So if the coordinates given are (5, -2), that will be five colums to the right of the center, and and two columns down. There will be no zeros, since the coordinates are actually the whole block of a graph rather than the intersecting points.

A large part of this game will be exploration, so you will be responsible for maintaining your own maps. I strongly recommend using graph paper or finding some other similar way to keep track of it. There will be no publicly available map. Of course, you may choose to share what you know with eachother, but I would personally advise against it. But more on that later.

Each player's ship will be at first be able to travel to any adjacent coordinate in one turn. If you were looking at it like a map, that would be one square to the north, south, east, west, northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest. If you work on developing more advanced propulsion, the distance you can move in one turn will increase.

Also, with basic sensors, you will be able to see one square adjacent to your current location, though not with as much detail as if you were actually there. For instance, you might see that there was a binary star system to the north (along the positive y axis), but if you were there, you'd be actually able to tell how many of the planets were inhabitied, what resources the planets had, etc. The more advanced your ship's sensors (or your planet's observational capabilities, and so forth), the farther you can see and with greater detail.

Playing the Game
Compendium Galactica will be mainly a game of challenges and rewards. On every turn, a player will be given a challenge to overcome. Overcoming the challenge will bring its reward, and how the player chooses to overcome the challenge largely determines how they advance in the game.

There will be time left over for each player to do other things (like working on negating their disadvantages, advancing their society, conquering the galaxy, and so forth), but handling the challenges should be primary.

Galactic Influence
Each player will start with the Galactic Influence of 1. That means there's basically one thing you can make your people do - build a planetary defense system, colonize an uninhabited planet, and so forth. Though the number of things you can ask people to do is unlimited, the number of things you can make them do with GI is not.

A player gains galactic influence in several ways. You can increase your population, claim systems, govern other civilizations (with brute force or benignly), or explore the galaxy (probably the hardest route, considering how much you have to map out to increase your GI).

A couple things to consider, though. Increases, in GI and thinkgs like propulsion level, are generally exponential and not incremental. So you'd have to double your population to increase your GI by 1, quadruple it to increase it by 3, etc. And there are limits, which require a certain balance. For example, you may control ten systems, but if you barely have enough population for one, you will likely not gain the GI you would otherwise.

Game Mechanics
Players will submit their moves NLT Sunday, midnight (eastern standard time) on the weekends in which Pantheon moves are not due.

The moves will be sent to compendium.galactica at g mail, the results being sent to the address the moves were sent from unless otherwise specified.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions can be posted in the CG: Comments thread. Anything else posted here will be considered an official entry into the Compendium.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

For anyone who needs to print off some grid paper (like I do) just go to here and design a 25 X 25 grid, and print four times. Then you can cut and attach them all together.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Entry:The Free Traders

The Free Traders, as they are usually known, are reported to be a largely unknown (and human) faction of loosely allied, but largely free-spirited, traders and independant miners.

Although their ships are encountered all over the galaxy, it is not known which system they call their own, and the members of the faction sometimes seem to take pains that this remain so.

Although all members profess allegiance to an apparent leader, and submit to his overall guidance and direction, it has been rumoured that for some at least, the allegiance is no more than a legalistic "Letter of Marque."

Free Traders however, deny this allegation categorically, and to an individual.
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Orion
Servant of the Land

Post by Orion »

Race: The Orions

An intellectual race, the Orions are entering the universe to learn all that they can.

While they do have telekenitic abilities among themselves, they can only control animals and dumb creatures (Sorry, after discussing this with Syl, I can't do all the cool things I had written before :cry: ). They are humanoid and are very focused on the perfection of their minds and bodies.

They are open to trade but not active traders.

They make excellent emmissaries and mediators.

Their home planet is Orion and is as I had said in the other thread, rich in natural resources.
Last edited by Orion on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

Entry The Ross 154 Alliance

Humanoid in appearance the major differences are apparant. Limbs all the same length for running on all fours, more akin to a plains creature than the primates of earth. Larger ears, like a lion, and more coveragre of the neck/back/face with hair.

They call themselves The People, and excell in one thing: science. In fact their entire social system was based on farmer society providing food for the scientists, and the scientist providing leadership and the betterment of life quaility to the farmer class. Untill the Woe from the Skies came.

The Woe was a rogue comet that came with such speed and ferocity that The People could save only a small percentage of their population, around 250 million of their previous two billion. They escaped in small surface to space vehicles, called Speeders, to their only major spacecraft, Zero-Zero-One, a massive orbiting research station. They retrofitted with engines to move Zero-Zero-One out of the incoming debris and giant chunks of their beloved planet.

When all had stabalized they returned to a half of Ross 154 and a new belt of asteroids. They renamed this belt the Obelix Field, and have made it their new home. Living now in domes withing deep craters of the pieces of their lost home planet, they have restablished their government, and resumed research into their beloved science.

They are open to sell research to the highest bidder, and will periodically announce a new technology open to sales. They can also be hired into a reasearch project. Prices vary on complexity, previous groundwork and threat level to the researchers.

Their current major technology is FTL (fater than light) communications, and they will be using it liberally ro restablish themselves amongst the races of the galaxy and to recommence major business dealings. This will open to sale once a stable level of population is reached.
Eugen Razvan
Giantfriend

Post by Eugen Razvan »

The Hegemony

The Hegemony is ruled by a race of intelligent amphibians called the 15Y. While this group comprises only thirty percent of the Hegemony’s population, they are the undisputed masters of the various vassal states that make up the Hegemony.

They are currently constructing an interstellar vessel. This ship, n+1/Y, is equipped with a bussard-ramjet drive. The Hegemony has yet to develop FTL drives, though some of their researchers are looking into the possibility of constructing wormholes.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm a bastard (literally and figuratively). Sorry guys, but I just don't see myself running with this anymore. I think it was a good idea, but I just don't have the passion to execute it (story of my life ;)). That, and I really need to work on getting myself some edumacation (actually use my free time at home and at work for something productive).

If anyone else wants to run with it, you have my blessing and my thanks.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Mistress Cathy »

Aw, that's too bad Syl. Well, you and me both on the education. This MBA takes up a lot of time.
Astavyastataa Kadna
Bloodguard

Post by Astavyastataa Kadna »

I did my MBA ('95 WMU) part time - and worked full time - it is a challenge!! Good luck to you both!!

I am toying with going for my PhD part time. I know we have some PhD students at the Watch ... should I be VERY afraid? My PhD would be in Management with a focus on Technology.
O-gon-cho
The Gap Into Spam
Location: And closing of the eyes - true vision, The Light within became...Within the Light

Post by O-gon-cho »

m'L-rd, know that Hyperception has been pursuing his Ph.D. now for six years full time and foresees at least another two years to finish researching and writing his dissertation (if he can ever get over to Prague to do some original research). Then he will have to defend it, and most likely do some rewriting...

But if the length of time does not dissuade you, I will say our entire family has benefitted from his educational journey here in Gator Town since he transfered here with his AA from community college after attending that school part time for seven years.

GO FOR IT!!!
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Mistress Cathy »

I did my MBA ('95 WMU) part time - and worked full time - it is a challenge!! Good luck to you both!!

I am toying with going for my PhD part time. I know we have some PhD students at the Watch ... should I be VERY afraid? My PhD would be in Management with a focus on Technology.
Please tell me that it was worth it. I am running into people who got their MBA and told me that they could have done without it.

I am just going for a basic MBA but I have little management background. It will be like I am a kid straight out of college looking for a job.
Astavyastataa Kadna
Bloodguard

Jove wrote:

Please tell me that it was worth it. I am running into people who got their MBA and told me that they could have done without it.

I am just going for a basic MBA but I have little management background. It will be like I am a kid straight out of college looking for a job.
Ahhh ... it depends on the school your MBA came from ... and what your employer thinks.

For me, I got my MBA from Western Michigan University with a concentration in Management. A school like WMU is pretty good (large, relatively well know); Harvard, MIT Sloan School of Management would be much better. But even a small school MBA shows a commitment to continuous learning that reflects well on you.

Did I learn anything needed for work ... not really. Did it help me advance ... not in the company I was at in 1995 ... I was already a Division President. BUT, when my bank got bought ... and I had to look for a job ... and MBA was DEFINITELY something to make you stand out from the multitude of other applicants.

Go for it! Don't let anyone discourage you!!
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Syl wrote:I'm a bastard (literally and figuratively). Sorry guys, but I just don't see myself running with this anymore. I think it was a good idea, but I just don't have the passion to execute it (story of my life ;)).
Damn. :D Ah well, as a quintessential lazy bastard, I can't exactly fault you...I know the feeling all too well. :LOLS:

Maybe...nah. :D
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

As Garfield said, if I was any lazier, I'd slip into a coma. I don't blame you at all, Syl. Hell, you got farther with this than I ever would have! :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Astavyastataa Kadna wrote:I did my MBA ('95 WMU) part time - and worked full time - it is a challenge!! Good luck to you both!!

Well, I'm studying neurobiology, so the focus is a little different, but a Ph.D. does require quite a lot of work in my field... Well, biologists are known for the terrible hours, that's true (sometimes we have to go to work at 1 am, after coming back home at 5 pm...). But nevertheless, it does take a lot of time, especially if you have to take courses in addition to the subject of your thesis (I have 1-3 seminars per week, on average, for example).
Still, thus far it's been definitely worth it: I've learned a lot, I've met lots of people, I've grown - both academically and personally speaking - and my chances of getting a better job after I finish will increase dramatically. I don't know how it is in your field, though - in biology, a Ph.D. is almost mandatory unless you want to become a lab technician.
Astavyastataa Kadna
Bloodguard

Thanks. Sounds like an enriching experience but a LOT of work!!!

I haven't taken the plunge yet ... but I continue to investigate!
O-gon-cho
The Gap Into Spam
Location: And closing of the eyes - true vision, The Light within became...Within the Light

Post by O-gon-cho »

It is a lot of work. Even when on Fellowship, so Hyperception only had coursework, research, and writing to do, Beorn and I barely saw him. But again, for us, living in this University community, having family access to the student recitals, art shows, university library, et. al., has made it all worth it. Even if nothing ever comes of attaining the Ph.D., and Hyperception stays with the Post Office instead, he has had the desire, drive, and opportunity to quench his thirst for knowledge, and this has strengthened us as a family.

While we consistantly struggle financially, IMO Paul and I could not have set a better example of developing a love for learning to Beorn. And this pleases me.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Someone, well a couple of players, have asked me to run it. I've had years of experience with this sort of thing, and would be more than willing to run the game. That is, if people were willing to put up with me.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Loremaster wrote:Someone, well a couple of players, have asked me to run it. I've had years of experience with this sort of thing, and would be more than willing to run the game. That is, if people were willing to put up with me.

YES.

:D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

I got no problems with it. I'd like it to be a bit more involved and "free" than ZA though...more than just "move / search / ect. If it is, I'm definitely in.

Return to “Compendium Galactica”