Do you think we should "Dissect" HP?

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I am all for starting the dissection right away. I'll even volunteer for chapter two. I also think that we should be dissecting it in sequential order. Trapper, we can start a seperate discussion thread about Deathly Hallows that's not an actual dissection if you like. One that follows your rules. :P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Jenn, I for one am a slow reader. There's no way I can read DH when it comes out, and PS/SS for dissection at the same time. I plan on having us discuss DH for a month or so informally, and then start organizing the formal dissection of the entire series. Is that OK?

I know I wouldn't want to limit the speed I read DH to others when it first comes out. I'll probably pull a couple of all-nighters to finish it as quickly as I can. If we start a thread that talks about DH three chapters at a time, what will be the point of doing a chapter by chapter dissection later when we get to it after all the other books in the series?

:::again, I've never taken part in a dissection before, so the answer may be obvious to those who have:::
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Menolly wrote:Jenn, I for one am a slow reader. There's no way I can read DH when it comes out, and PS/SS for dissection at the same time. I plan on having us discuss DH for a month or so informally, and then start organizing the formal dissection of the entire series. Is that OK?

I know I wouldn't want to limit the speed I read DH to others when it first comes out. I'll probably pull a couple of all-nighters to finish it as quickly as I can. If we start a thread that talks about DH three chapters at a time, what will be the point of doing a chapter by chapter dissection later when we get to it after all the other books in the series?

:::again, I've never taken part in a dissection before, so the answer may be obvious to those who have:::
Well one of the differences between the TCTC dissections and the HP's is that the dissections of TCTC series took place years after the books were published. Now the third series of TCTC is out and a dissection of those are underway.
With HP&TDH to discuss the book would be okay as long as generalizations are made about the book overall, i.e. it was sad, it was great, it was the worst/best of the series, etc. General questions and answers can be discussed as well, i.e. "I don't understand why Ron ...." "well, because he...." and so on.
Dissections are indepth analysis and personal insights to the particular chapter by each person assigned and then responses (positive/negative) by other readers (anyone can join in). Go to one of the TCTC dissections and just read through a particular chapter and see what I mean. It'll give you an idea of how it works.
Yes, there is no one RIGHT way to do it. But speaking for me, I throughly enjoyed participating in it.

Either way, looking forward to it. Danalo Fist and Faith and others can probably help coach better than I can. :biggrin:
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Seafoam Understone wrote: Either way, looking forward to it. Danalo Fist and Faith and others can probably help coach better than I can. :biggrin:
*blush*

Instruction is already sorta underway over on the Hangar...

I do want us to discuss DH once it's out, that's why I wanted to wait a month before even beginning sign ups for the dissections, so we could devote out attention to discussing DH. But I truly envisioned it being more along the way the other threads had been for the previous books, with spoiler tags and no real organization, not a formalized three chapter at a time thing.

I'm open to any, heck, maybe we'll even have threads with both styles.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Danalo
funny, I don't find him in the membership list. :P
fall far and well Pilots!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

danlo wrote:
Danalo
funny, I don't find him in the membership list. :P
tee-HEE

Totally slipped past me.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

ok ok so I misspelled the guy's name... sorry dude.
Danlo! there is that better?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Seafoam...

It's better than the mistake I occasionally still make, despite being danlo's guest for E'Fest.

Y'all remember Hawaii Five-0?
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Welll...when does the dissection begin?!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I want to get a final decision on where we'll do the dissections then we'll discuss format and assign chapters. I'm still looking at mid-September, but we may be able to move it up to right after Labor Day...
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

So far the voting is leaning towards doing it here. But there's only 7 votes and you'd probably want more.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*nodding*

I set the poll for a week. If after a week that's all who voted we will still go by the decision.

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”