History Forum: The "fine line" discussion

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

danlo
Lord

History Forum: The "fine line" discussion

Post by danlo »

In the responses I've seen, and questions I get via PMs, about this forum it seems that there are some "fine lines" we need to discuss and be aware of. Primarily: What can we do to ensure lines such as Mythology, Current Events and World Politics are, somewhat, kept in check here.

Of course there's been the debate about a Current Events forum (or subforum) and how that may interfere or cross lines with Hile Troy's Think Tank and the issue of whether Mythology issues are exclusive to The Close. My response to the latter is sure discuss mythology here as long as it pertains to the importance of a civilization's (or a society's) developement and historical context.

One of my main questions is: What defines Current Events anyway? Is it what happened this year? Within the decade? In other words where do you think "History" ends and Current Events begin? Are there fine lines we should consider between here and the Tank? And, I guess we need to be aware of the fine line between speculation and conspiracy theories, as well, a prime example would be something like the Kennedy assasination...

Good, crisp historical debate is what I'm striving for here. I'm sure my co-mod would agree--I wouldn't mess with Damelon, btw...he knows his stuff and he's a very good researcher in both History and Science (he's mod at the Tech/Science forum at the Hangar, too) 8) . I really want to make sure the 'lines' are blurred as little as possible here, and (it's probably implicit, anyway, by having an admin here) that personal arguements, silliness (unless it's historical silliness), spam and flaming will not fly in this forum. Thanks! :D

Be Welcome Here, Welcome and True! Welcome to Damelon, as well!
Last edited by danlo on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Yes, welcome all, and thanks, Danlo for accepting my application for mod here. :)

I think Danlo sums up pretty well the criteria for what should be placed in this forum. I would say post in the Close on topics of religion and mythology those questions or items that are more abstract or theological in tone. Post here if the mythological or religious issue revolves around interaction in real, daily life, particularly in dealing with other cultures.

Other than that, it's a good civil discussion of history that we're looking for here. We've got a couple of good topics going on right off the bat.

And if there's trouble, I've got an Admin to back me up.

;) :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

All sounds perfectly reasonable. And there's always the move function if necessary. :D

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

OK new rule: if it moves towards the Tank, shoot it! Shoot it!!! :mrgreen:
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

danlo wrote:OK new rule: if it moves towards the Tank, shoot it! Shoot it!!! :mrgreen:
What are you talking about, new rule? That's been my policy for years :mgun: :snipe: :rocket: :bang:

;)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just moved Kinslaughterer's great Archeaology thread here:
on page 3 of that thread Ryzel wrote:Well, let me just ask. Kind of off-topic. Where would you go dig in the Land?
and Kins replied,
That's easy; Doriendor Corishev.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Make's it a natural, then for here. :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Sorry for neglecting this forum--I've been very busy with our new foster boy. We need to brainstorm on kicking some more life in here. Here's one topic that I think might be cool to presue dealing with the title of this forum and Thomas Covenant: why don't we explore the old history of the Land and Doriendor Corishev itself? Comments?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'd be interested in that.

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”