The Rise and Fall of Empires RULES & General Discussion

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

I'd be grateful for a copy of the blank and map too Murrin. To the addy in my profile is fine.

(I suck at excel...)

Many thanks.
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Free Traders wrote:I'd be grateful for a copy of the blank and map too Murrin. To the addy in my profile is fine.

(I suck at excel...)
The resident galactic accountents suck at Excel? My god, how do they run their spreadsheets? ;) :lol:

Is anyone else feeling the building tension in Empires? Great posts, guys. Well done.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

wow you noticed the tension?

Its good
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I have, with much effort, added a button to the spreadsheet. I shall call it the button of doom. Because sooner or later, every person who uses the spreadsheet will click it by mistake--and woe betide them that do so.

(It's a "Finish" button. Click it, and it resets your purchases and funds, and adds remaining money to bank. Use only after submitting your turns! Both of them! (since the sheet is modelled for planning a full year's spending))

Also, it's not on the copy I sent to Montressor and the Free Traders. Sorry. (it's not exactly essential, I just thought it would be nifty)
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Loremaster wrote:As I am updating the rules, is there anything anybody would like for me to include? How can I improve the game?
One thing off the top of my head - how about a bomber unit which can be used in both space battles, and in ground invasions?

As for improvements to game structure - I can't see that it needs them. The game is excellent thus far, and there are more options than I've used at this stage.

Oh, and, thanks to Murrin for the spread sheet. I should be able to do without the button of doom, but will let you know.
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Loremaster wrote: The resident galactic accountents suck at Excel? My god, how do they run their spreadsheets? ;) :lol:
We're Traders friend, not bean-pushers. Money comes in, money goes out, such is the nature of commerce. :D
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Free Traders wrote:
Loremaster wrote: The resident galactic accountents suck at Excel? My god, how do they run their spreadsheets? ;) :lol:
We're Traders friend, not bean-pushers. Money comes in, money goes out, such is the nature of commerce. :D
:lol:

Monty - thanks.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

New item!
Establish Embassy (5) - Placed on a target empire's homeworld. Trade revenue between the empires is increased by 1 only for the empire that payed for the embassy.
Montressor wrote:One thing off the top of my head - how about a bomber unit which can be used in both space battles, and in ground invasions?
I'll look into it. But it sounds good.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Transport (6) - Large starships used for transporting an army. They possess no weapons or defenses. Note that an army is recruited with one. When the army is deployed, the transport is removed from the game.
Transport (base) (4) - If the player wants to transport an army, use one of these.
Could you explain the differences here? Not clear to me.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Balon wrote:
Transport (6) - Large starships used for transporting an army. They possess no weapons or defenses. Note that an army is recruited with one. When the army is deployed, the transport is removed from the game.
Transport (base) (4) - If the player wants to transport an army, use one of these.
The first one already has an army. The second one is for when you want to transport an army that you purchased/recruited before. So it's basically a vessel you are buying.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Loremaster wrote:
Balon wrote:
The first one already has an army. The second one is for when you want to transport an army that you purchased/recruited before. So it's basically a vessel you are buying.
So if you buy the former, the ship is single use. The latter, usable multiple times?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Loremaster wrote:
Balon wrote:
So if you buy the former, the ship is single use with an army. The latter, usable multiple times though without an army?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Balon wrote:
Loremaster wrote:
Balon wrote: Could you explain the differences here? Not clear to me.
So if you buy the former, the ship is single use with an army. The latter, usable multiple times though without an army?
You buy the first, unload an army and the transport remains. The second you can load and unload an army many times.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Deos the target empire need to grant permission for an embassy to be established?
Also, this would seem to suggest the creation of a new espionage action involving an empire's embassies on other worlds....
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I hope they have o ask permission. I know that having a whole lot of embassies would not suit my race's theme at all
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

It would make sense that they can only be established with the Empires permission.

Another idea: a way to self-destruct or kamikaze a ship in battle? Maybe deal damage to ALL the ships in range, so it's also a danger to rest of YOUR fleet too.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Murrin wrote:Deos the target empire need to grant permission for an embassy to be established?
Also, this would seem to suggest the creation of a new espionage action involving an empire's embassies on other worlds....
First question. Yes.

Second. A very good idea. Thanks, Murrin.
T'lesir Core
Stonedownor

Post by T'lesir Core »

We, the T'lesir Core, propose that new budget items and actions to be added to the main list be temporarily listed in another color (or with the words "New!" next to them), so that one may find them without having to go through the whole list. This is especially important for players who already copied the list in their spreadsheet, and now need only to update it with the new items.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

T'lesir Core wrote:We, the T'lesir Core, propose that new budget items and actions to be added to the main list be temporarily listed in another color (or with the words "New!" next to them), so that one may find them without having to go through the whole list. This is especially important for players who already copied the list in their spreadsheet, and now need only to update it with the new items.
I, the Loremaster, agree with this reason. The Loremaster also appreciates the efforts the T'lesir Core undertakes to convey the alienness of their speech.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Balon wrote:
Another idea: a way to self-destruct or kamikaze a ship in battle? Maybe deal damage to ALL the ships in range, so it's also a danger to rest of YOUR fleet too.
Ships designed for ramming would be a good tech possibility, I think. Alternatively, you could buy bombers, fill them full of idealistic and naive university students like the Imperial Japanese did, and instruct them to "kamikaze" . . .

As for embassies - it's a great idea, but now I have to rework my plans for the turn :(

Return to “Empires”