Countdown to Fatal Revenant!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thanks for responding, preview readers!

Has anyone seen any significant reviews yet? (As opposed to "Bob's Cool Book Reviews".)

There's a tiny one at Publisher's Weekly [link] (probably spoilers).
Difficult but worthwhile, this complicated and emotional continuation of the Thomas Covenant saga is exactly what Donaldson's fans have been hoping for.
If anyone posts any non-spoiler review blurbs, I would be grateful.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I started a thread for reviews in the Fatal Revenant forum but...well...apart from the one you've quoted I haven't found any others.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Seareach wrote:
Avatar wrote:Pretty much agree. Only read the first two chapters...feels like they should have been part of the end of Runes. But I have hopes... ;)
I find it funny when people say that. I just don't get it. You need all that stuff (the first two chapters) and it couldn't go before the cliffhanger at the end of Runes, and if you slapped it onto the end of Runes you'd lose your cliffhanger. And, well.... <shrug> Besides... oh, never mind. ;)
Perhaps what Av meant, and something I said myself before I deleted my post twice, was that the beginning of FR felt/sounded/read just like Runes. It was no better in terms of the writing itself. [Okay, I just deleted another big chunk. Damn, this is a hard line to walk.]
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

It is a hard line to walk. :)

I would just say "wait until you've read the whole novel". And, sure, maybe then your opinion will be the same as it is now. Mine wasn't. But that's just me. :)
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Once FR's released, I should be able to pick it up at a local major bookstore, right? Or am going to have to order it online?
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Bookstores like to sell books. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find it rather easily, unless it's a landslide bestseller beyond the publisher's wildest dreams, and the store's stock runs out before you get there. On second thought, I'd camp out over night on the sidewalk if I were you. Just to be safe.

:)
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Actually I have never bought myself a brand new book. I have always gotten books from the used book store. I'll hopefully end up getting FR as a wedding anniversary gift at the end of the October.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Ok, possibly a dumb question but, a few of you have mentioned pre-ordering in order to boost numbers. Does that have a different impact than if I just go buy at BAM on release day?
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I bought Runes in my local Barnes and Noble... when I didn't even know that it existed! So I'd assume you'll be able to find FR in the new fantasy section of any major store (assuming their few copies aren't sold out).
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

17 days!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Ok, possibly a dumb question but, a few of you have mentioned pre-ordering in order to boost numbers. Does that have a different impact than if I just go buy at BAM on release day?
My impression was that it's better than simply going out and buying it on release day, but I can't find the thread where we discussed that. I did find the GI post about it, but that post doesn't explicitly answer your question, as far as I can tell.
The crucial point is this: pre-orders from Amazon “count” for bestseller lists. In fact, all pre-orders are included as “first-day sales”. As I’ve explained elsewhere in this interview, being a “bestseller” measures the immediate speed with which a book sells, not the ultimate quantity of sales. Therefore one might be inclined to consider ultimate quantity more important than immediate speed. However, “bestsellerdom” has an undeniable perceptual power. On an intangible level, a book which touches, say, #14 on the NY Times list is considered to be an entire order of magnitude more successful than a book which touches #16. And on a tangible level, bookstores will stock more copies of bestsellers, and will stock those copies longer, than any book which does not achieve bestsellerdom. The results are akin to a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more copies a bookstore stocks, and the longer those copies are stocked, the greater the likelihood (duh) that some significant percentage of those copies will actually sell. Which has a direct bearing on ultimate quantity. In practice, being a bestseller tends to be self-perpetuating. Sadly, *not* being a bestseller *also* tends to be self-perpetuating. Hence the (otherwise irrational) emphasis that publishers--and reviewers--and bookstores--place on bestsellers.

When my agent first began trying to find a publisher for “The Runes of the Earth,” I was horrified to learn that most US publishers considered me a “has-been” simply because nothing that I’ve written since “White Gold Wielder” has been on the NY Times bestseller list. Enough pre-orders for “Fatal Revenant” could give my professional career a real boost.

(04/04/2007)
So the only thing I can figure is that more pre-orders might indicate to book sellers that they should stock more books at their stores, which will help fulfill the self-fulling prophesy he was talking about above.

Anyway, I've pre-ordered months ago. If my copy doesn't arrive the day it's released, I'm going to buy one in the stores and I'll offer my second copy to one of you at a significant discount (possibly even donating it to anyone who doesn't have the immediate funds for buying one . . . an issue which came up recently . . . :( ) We can cross that bridge when it gets here, and the issue can be handled through PMs.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Thanks for the info, Malik. I was totally unaware of this! Guess I need to pre-order my copy! :biggrin:
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

You know, I wonder if there was anything us Watch members could have done to increase the sales of this book (besides buying it, that is). Maybe my fanboy nature is starting to show, but is there anything we could have done? I know there was a lot of money spent on ARCs. What if that money had been used to buy extra copies of FR instead? Copies which could be donated to school libraries, or friends with cash flow issues, ect.? I'm not criticizing anyone for how they spent their money, and I certainly haven't done anything like this myself. I'm just feeling a little guilty. We have this large fanbase here. It just seems like we could have organized something to boost the sales numbers. If not spending our own money, perhaps putting in our time for some kind of promotional efforts? Is this crazy?
Niftium
Woodhelvennin

Post by Niftium »

The Donaldson Street Team - coming to a city near you.

People are always attaching pictures and banners to signature files. If someone was artistically inclined, they could make something up for an upcoming release. I don't have said talent, but I'd be more than happy to put it in my zillions of forum profiles/signatures. Mentioning it anywhere on blogs you contribute to helps hitcounts on Google and such, so that probably helps increase interest and awareness as well. Ohhh, I don't know, what else?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The Donaldson Street Team - coming to a city near you.

People are always attaching pictures and banners to signature files. If someone was artistically inclined, they could make something up for an upcoming release. I don't have said talent, but I'd be more than happy to put it in my zillions of forum profiles/signatures. Mentioning it anywhere on blogs you contribute to helps hitcounts on Google and such, so that probably helps increase interest and awareness as well. Ohhh, I don't know, what else?
There you go! That's an idea.

I just think about the Trekkies or Trekkers, and their conventions, and all this free advertising that certain franchises receive simply from having a very vocal fanbase. Well, we're that fanbase for Donaldson. We're his biggest fans. We don't owe him anything, but I'd take personal pride in helping boost his career, and ensuring that the Chronicles went out as a hit.
pat5150
Giantfriend

Post by pat5150 »

Only got one chapter left (which I'll be reading when I get back from work tomorrow evening), and so far I like The Runes of the Earth better than Fatal Revenant.

Don't get me wrong -- it's a good sequel. But it's way too sluggish in certain portions, which breaks the rhythm somewhat. Still, a lot of cool stuff and new revelations insure that readers maintain their interest level! :D

Of course, there's always the chance that the ending will blow my mind! :wink:

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

pat5150 wrote:But it's way too sluggish in certain portions, which breaks the rhythm somewhat.
Gosh, I'd love you to expand on that as I actually thought the opposite (ie: that parts of Runes was way too sluggish). Come to the Fatal Revenant forum Pat and do explain! :)
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Yes ... do come to that forum ... I also felt exactly the OPPOSITE!! lol
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

16 days!
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Kevin's Watch could probably make a few bucks if a Google Ad was placed right at the top of the forum for FR, or the whole series for that matter.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”