Raraku

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Raraku

Post by Fist and Faith »

I have no particular point to make. No goal for this thread. It's just a tribute to the Holy Desert. What an amazing place!! :D

I've always been attracted to deserts. They're primal. They're gorgeous!

In a movie called Circle of Iron, the main character, Cord, runs across some desert nomads. His introduction is in a tent with a bunch of people, and he talks with their leader, Changsha:
Cord: Peace.

Changsha: Don't wish it on me! The whole world is in commotion, and you wish me peace. I don't know what 'peace' is. I don't want it! Don't you listen to the desert? Even when there's no wind, the sand sings.
Of course, a word that comes to mind when I think of deserts is severe. Their severity teaches much, neh? Billy Joel sings: "I go walking in my sleep. Through the desert of Truth..." The most famous example of those who have learned from the desert are probably the Fremen. And, indeed, it seems to me that the name Raraku is an homage to the name Arrakis. A superficial resemblance in the name that signifies the greatness of Herbert's creation. But the resemblance ends there. It's just an homage, not any sort of imitation. Raraku is entirely different than Arrakis. And the Bridgeburners are entirely different than the Fremen. But in both cases, the desert burns away all falsehood, all weakness. Only truth and strength remain.

Uh... I guess that's it for now. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

And the Bridgeburners are entirely different than the Fremen.
I think another amazing thing about raraku is that the people living in/around it don't even completely understand it. The warriors of Dryjhna who match themselves against the empire are really undone by the desert they claim to represent. Those who are shaped most by it are generally outsiders. The bridgeburners, and karsa too.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I dunno if I quite picked up from the storyline what makes Raraku so potent.

Never been to a desert, though I'd love to (except for the intense heat/cold bit, anyway :lol: )
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

'They were of a kind, then
the histories writ large
in tattooed tracery
the tales a tracking
of old wounds
but something glowed hard
in their eyes – those
flame-gnawed arches,
that vanishing span,
they are their own past
each in turn destined
to fall in line
on the quiet wayside
beside the river
they refuse to name . . .

The Bridgeburners (IV.i)
Toc the Younger (b.1141)'
(GotM MMPB, p. 126)

'Crossing it (Raraku) had etched the souls of the three companies that would come to be called the Bridgeburners. We coulde imagine no other name. Raraku burned our pasts away, making all that came before a trail of ashes. (DG, UK MMPB, p.199)

'the ways into Raraku...Of the countless trails that passed through the hills, all but a few led only to death. The false routes were cleverly directed away from the few waterholes and springs. Without water, Raraku's sun was a fatal companion...the Holy Desert...Raraku shaped all who had known it' (DG, UK MMPB, p.198-9)

Fiddler: 'Quick Ben's knowledge of the Holy Desert is, uh, vast...he spoke of the Vanished Roads...an ancient road that sleeps beneath the sands and appears only occasionally - if the winds are right, that is.'(DG, UK MMPB, p.348)

'Raraku reshapes all who come to it...What you were falls away, what you become is something different...Raraku's gifts are harsh...'(DG, UK MMPB, p.584)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

All have been warned about spoilers in this forum. But here's another warning, for this post...

Stonemaybe wrote:I dunno if I quite picked up from the storyline what makes Raraku so potent.
I'm not sure it was ever specifically discussed. But it seems to me several things went into it.

-It has a looooong history. It was a sea.

-It had civilizations long ago. The Eres. The T'lan Imass. Cities, roads... Any number of things could have happened back then. Things that caused Power to remain, or gather. One big thing was a T'lan Imass becoming the Whirlwind Goddess, and claiming a piece of the shattered warren.

-Tremorlor is there.

-The Bridgeburners were made there.
The hunters were embraced in silence, now. Raraku's silence. Tempered, honed, annealed under the sun. The horses beneath them were their match, lean and defiant, tireless and wild-eyed.

Whiskeyjack was slow to understand what he saw in Kalam's face when the assassin looked upon him and his soldiers, slow to grasp that the killer's narrowed eyes held disbelief, awe, and more than a little fear. Yet Kalam himself had changed. He'd not travelled far from the land he called home, yet an entire world had passed beneath him.

Raraku had taken them all.

Up a steep, rocky channel, through an eroded fissure, the limestone walls stained and pitted, and out into a natural amphitheatre, and there, seated cross-legged on a boulder on the clearing's opposite side, waited the last mage.

He wore little more than rags, was emaciated, his dark skin cracked and peeling, his eyes glittering hard and brittle as obsidian.

Kalam's reining in looked to be a tortured effort. He managed to turn his horse round, met Whiskeyjack's eyes. "Adaephon Delat, a mage of Meanas," he said in a bone-dry rasp, his split lips twisting into a grin. "He was never much, sir. I doubt he'll be able to muster a defence."

Whiskeyjack said nothing. He angled his mount past the assassin, approached the wizard.

"One question," the wizard asked, his voice barely a whisper yet carrying clearly across the amphitheatre.

"What?"

"Who in Hood's name are you?"

Whiskeyjack raised a brow. "Does it matter?"

"We have crossed Raraku entire," the wizard said. "Other side of these cliffs is the trail leading down to G'danisban. You chased me across the Holy Desert...gods, no man is worth that. Not even me!"

"There were eleven others in your company, wizard."

Adaephon Delat shrugged. "I was the youngest - the healthiest - by far. Yet now, finally, even my body has given up. I can go no further." His dark eyes reached past Whickeyjack. "Commander, your soldiers..."

"What of them?"

"They are more...and less. No longer what they once were. Raraku, sir, has burned the bridges of their pasts, one and all - it's gone." He met Whiskeyjack's eyes in wonder. "And they are yours. Heart and soul. They are yours."

"More than you realize," Whiskeyjack said. He raised his voice. "Hedge, Fiddler, are we in place?"

"Aye!" two voices chorused.

Whiskeyjack saw the wizard's sudden tension. After a moment, the commander twisted in his saddle. Kalam sat stiffly on his horse a dozen paces back, sweat streaming down his brow. Flanking him and slightly behind were Fiddler and Hedge, both with their crossbows trained on the assassin. Smiling, Whiskeyjack faced Adaephon Delat once again.

"You two have played an extraordinary game. Fiddler sniffed out the secret communications- the scuffed stone-faces, the postures of the bodies, the curled fingers - one, three, two, whatever was needed to complete the cipher - we could have cut this to a close a week past, but by then, I'd grown...curious. Eleven mages. Once the first one revealed her arcane knowledge to you - knowledge she was unable to use - it was just a matter or bargaining. What choice did the others possess? Death by Raraku's hand, or mine. Or...a kind of salvation. But was it, after all? Do their souls clamour within you, now, Adaephon Delat? Screaming to escape their new prison? But I am left wondering, none the less. This game - you and Kalam - to what end?"

The illusion of deprivation slowly faded from the wizard, revealing a fit, hale young man. He managed a strained smile. "The clamour has...subsided somewhat. Even the ghost of a life is better than Hood's embrace, Commander. We've achieved a...balance, you could say."

"And you a host of powers unimagined."

"Formidable, granted, but I've no desire to use them now. The game we played, Whiskeyjack? Only one of survival. At first. We didn't think you'd make it, to be perfectly honest. We thought Raraku would come to claim you - I suppose she did, in a way, though not in a way I would have anticipated. What you and your soldiers have become..." He shook his head.

"What we have become," Whiskeyjack said, "you have shared. You and Kalam."

The wizard slowly nodded. "Hence this fateful meeting. Sir, Kalam and I, we'll follow you, now. If you would have us."

Whiskeyjack grunted. "The Emperor will take you from me."

"Only if you tell him, Commander."

"And Kalam?" Whiskeyjack glanced back at the assassin.

"The Claw will be...displeased," the man rumbled. The he smiled. "Too bad for Surly."

Grimacing, Whiskeyjack twisted further to survey his soldiers. The array of faces could have been carved from stone. A company, culled from the army's cast-offs, now a bright, hard core. "Gods," he whispered under his breath, "what have we made here?"

The first blood-letting engagement of the Bridgeburners was the retaking of G'danisban - a mage, an assassin, and seventy soldiers who swept into a rebel stronghold of four hundred desert warriors and crushed them in a single night.
-As if Raraku hadn't done enough by simply making the Bridgeburners, the Tanno song worked its magic there, and the Bridgeburners were Ascended.
"We'd best lie low for a time," the wizard muttered with a grimace, rubbing grit from his eyes. "Raraku's unleashed her ghosts-"

"And are they the ones singing? Those voices are right inside my head-"

"Mine too, friend. Tell me, had any conversations with a Tanno Spiritwalker lately?"

"A what? No. Why?"

"Because that is what you're hearing. If it was a song woven around these ancient ghosts we're seeing, well, we'd not be hearing it. In fact, we'd not be hearing much of anything at all. And we'd have been chopped into tiny pieces by now. Kalam, that Tanno song belongs to the Bridgeburners."

What?

"Makes you wonder about cause and effect, doesn't it? A Tanno stole our tale and fashioned a song - but for that song to have any effect, the Bridgeburners had to die. As a company. And now it has. Barring you and me-"

"And Fiddler. Wait! Fid mentioned something about a Spiritwalker in Ehrlitan."

"It would have had to have been direct contact. A clasping of hands, an embrace, or a kiss-"

"That bastard sapper - I remember he was damned cagey about something. A kiss? Remind me to give Fioddler a kiss next time I see him, one he'll never forget-"

"Whoever it was and however it happened," Quick Ben said, "the Bridgeburners have now ascended-"

"Ascended? What in the Queen's name does that mean?"

"Damned if I know, Kalam. I've never heard of such a thing before. A whole company - there's no precedent for this, none at all."

"Except maybe the T'lan Imass."

The wizard's dark eyes narrowed on his friend. "An interesting thought," he murmered. Then sighed. "In any case, Raraku's ghosts have risen on that song. Risen...to battle."
Hell, with all that, how could Raraku not be potent?! :D

BTW, here's a movie called The Deserter:
imdb.com/title/tt0066984/
A guy takes a small group of undisciplined soldiers into the desert, and trains them. When they come back, they're an elite fighting unit that goes after a force of Apaches.

Edit: Oh yeah, duh, Tremorlor is in Raraku.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”