What are you doing/did you do this weekend?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

480 miles on the bike today. Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland. I'm sunburned, windburned, covered with dead bugs, I stink, and my butt is killing me.

Good day, damn good day.

I can't understand how people survive without motorcycles.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Cail...

Just once, for one full day, I would love to do a roadtrip on a bike.

Never have, and I honestly do not ever see it happening. But, it's an enticing daydream.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I am enjoying a cold/flu/thingo this weekend! HOORAH! Everything else I've tried to do has been unsuccessful (my brain is mush!).
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Menolly wrote:Cail...

Just once, for one full day, I would love to do a roadtrip on a bike.

Never have, and I honestly do not ever see it happening. But, it's an enticing daydream.
I simply can't describe it. It's you, the road, and God, all to the mechanical thudding of an air-cooled V-twin (which is music to my ears).

Do it, you'll never be the same. You've got some great roads down there for it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Finished up a two day yearly statewide foster parent conference and learned a whole bunch, and figured out that I'll probably finish my Masters in Sociology (as opposed to Special ED-but alot of those credits count) so I can help the system out in some capacity.

Just came back from my first UNM football game in 2 years where we destroyed Sacramento St. 58-0. Bunch of friends and their kids (free Hospital tickets--Tam being a nurse and all her buds) Elora and Hayden had a complete blast!
fall far and well Pilots!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Cail wrote:480 miles on the bike today. Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland. I'm sunburned, windburned, covered with dead bugs, I stink, and my butt is killing me.

Good day, damn good day.

HAHA. The bicyclist in me was blown out of my mind when I read 480 miles. And then it hit me you meant a motorbike. :D

As for myself, I just got in from EndFest (a music festival) and I gotta say, it rocked. RAWKED. More tommorrow, when I get some sleep.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Heh, If I could go 480 miles on a bicycle in a day, I'm be mopping the floor with Lance Armstrong.

I'm not that good.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Balon wrote:
Cail wrote:480 miles on the bike today. Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland. I'm sunburned, windburned, covered with dead bugs, I stink, and my butt is killing me.

Good day, damn good day.

HAHA. The bicyclist in me was blown out of my mind when I read 480 miles. And then it hit me you meant a motorbike. :D
:)

I initially had the same reaction, Balon. Then I also recalled Cail rode a motorbike.
Balon wrote:As for myself, I just got in from EndFest (a music festival) and I gotta say, it rocked. RAWKED. More tommorrow, when I get some sleep.
Looking forward to your description. I always enjoy Stoney's descriptions of the music fests he attends.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Menolly wrote:
Balon wrote:

Good day, damn good day.

:)

I initially had the same reaction, Balon. Then I also recalled Cail rode a motorbike.
HAHA. I just read that and thought the same thing.

Though even on a motorcycle that's a pretty good day of riding.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

iQuestor wrote:Well, won my tennis doubles match this morning. The first set, we sucked badly, 6-2. The other team got really cocky. They were up on us in the early second set, But we came back, got them to a tie break, and beat them to stay in the game. We won the third set easily, and sent them home scratching their heads.. woo hoo!!
Good for you! Didn't know you played tennis. Your story reminds me of a casual match I "officiated" between two friends of mine years ago. The more athletic, balletic one had started strong and won the 1st set easily enough, but then the bigger, more lumbering friend forced the 2nd set to a tiebreaker and won it. That demoralized his opponent, who eventually conceded the match before the third set was done, cuz it was getting dark and we were starting to be eaten alive by mosquitoes. I felt sorry for the losing party, cuz he was actually the better player to watch. He just got worn down by the other dude. :)
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

EndFest 16.

Bands:
The Smashing Pumpkins
Social Distortion
Bright Eyes
Satelite Party (used to be Janes Addiction)
Hot Hot Heat
Against Us
The Fallen
Minus the Bear

Some others, but I didn't see 'em and didn't really want to.

So we left fairly early from the house as it's about an hour drive to Seattle. Got to Seattle no problems, and got FREE PARKING about a block south of the Fest next to the baseball stadium. How sweeeet is that?

Then, for whatever reason, we got patted down and searched. It was super lame because the missed my knife I had but found the bateries to my camera! Had to toss 'em the silly bastards. Good thing I brought spares in my pocket. ;)

Walked around for awhile, but the main thing I noticed was the number of PEOPLE there. I'm more used to downtowner bands, little venues. There must've been at least 50,000 people there. It was NUTS. Plenty of variety and a GOOD percentage of Rock-Mama's dancing. :biggrin:

The bands were VERY good, and most of them were local so I wont bore you, but I DID have my first concert brawl. Some idiots started a mosh pit about thirty lines of people BACK into the crowd away from where the actuall moshing was happening when Social Distortion came on. The grabbed my jacket and wouldn't let go, so I elbowed him (about the only thing I COULD do we were packed in so tight) and I think I hit him in the face. I guess thats the risk you take when your five foot anf try to drag a 270 pund guy in a leather jacket into a mosh when he DOESNT want to go. But the Pumpkins. MAN. 8O That was the highlight of the concert. It's really different seeing them in person. I dunno what it is exactally, but it was mystifying. And really awsome. Especially because the air was thick with reefer fog from the Social D crowd. Heh. :D

Anyway, they rocked out and I was further back where there was less effort to fight for your position and it was AWSOME.

A worthy first concert for me.

Now I'm going to go take a nap, I'm wasted.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

(trying really really hard - but failing - NOT to ask why you had brought a knife to a festival?)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Stonemaybe wrote:(trying really really hard - but failing - NOT to ask why you had brought a knife to a festival?)
HAHA.

It was my leatherman wave, but it's got a knife on it. So they DEFINITELY would've taken it.

And besides, I'm sure Cail would agree, I don't go anywhere without a knife.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Today has been pretty slow, so I'll detail Saturday:

I awoke around 10:00 PM, after getting home late from helping a friend move furniture in his new apartment. Had breakfast and then settled in with Mysteries of Udolpho till 2:00 PM. Then I got on the Net and worked on my presentation about Once Upon A Time in the West. Around 4:00 I ate at Subway and then went jogging a couple hours later (around 6:00).

Showered and read some on My Antonia. I stayed up late watching Justice League Unlimited; fine DC animated series; almost as good as Batman: The Animated Series from 1992.

Finally climbed into bed around 1:00 AM (I think), and I read Moby Dick until I dozed off.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Requesting three days off tonight so I can go see Joan Jett and the BOC play in... Mobile, Alabama.
B&
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Balon wrote:And besides, I'm sure Cail would agree, I don't go anywhere without a knife.
Rule #1.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

It's been Home Improvement Project Weekend here.

After Czech class yesterday, I stopped at Ikea and bought two bar stools and a hanging lamp (the plug-in kind -- I live in an apartment so I'm not about to try hardwiring in a brand-new ceiling fixture) for the breakfast bar. Then I went to Home Depot and got the foam board for my bed headboard project. Then I ordered pizza from Vocelli's and put together the barstools.

Today, I got up late, read the funnies, and then got busy on all the projects -- made a slipcover for the tattered footstool, made the headboard and hung it, hung the hanging lamp, did the mending, did laundry. Then I balanced my checkbook, went online to the bank to check out a few things, aaaand ended up here. I'm now successfully avoiding paying bills. (If you were wondering why I finally got up the energy to get all the sewing projects done, now you know -- I was avoiding the checkbook and the stack of bills! :lol: ) Gotta go back to the bill-paying (sigh)....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Looking forward to this weekend.

Gonna go do some shopping with the wife and kids, then later I'm meeting my mates in the pub to watch the Scotland Vs Italy rugby match - should be a good atmosphere in the pub, and my mates are all loonies.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Saturday, I drove up to Milwaukee to surprise a friend I hadn't seen in a year and a half. He was refereeing a college rugby match and I found him at the park where the match was held. We had dinner at a Mexican restaurant we used to eat at when he went to college and went to an Irish pub where we had a couple of Guinness. Sunday, I came back home but went out to watch the Bears game and listen to a band after the game.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

aliantha wrote:After Czech class yesterday...
Where are you taking Czech? I'm thinking about picking it up, but I don't know of any school around here that does it.

Went riding this weekend, like every other. Know I rode hard on Sunday, though, 'cause my back is sore. Haven't galloped that hard in years.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall

Return to “General Discussion Forum”