Turkey

Archive From The 'Tank
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Turkey

Post by Mistress Cathy »

I am surprised that there is not a thread about the Turkish resolution (or is it somewhere else that I have missed?) . I heard about this on Friday and I have been looking for a thread about it to no avail.

From CNN (sorry I lost the link):
Angry Turks ready to cut U.S. ties
Story Highlights

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) -- With Turkish-U.S. relations strained, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday that Turkey would not be deterred by the diplomatic consequences if it decides to stage a cross-border offensive into Iraq against Kurdish rebels.

"If such an option is chosen, whatever its price, it will be paid," Erdogan told reporters in response to a question about the international repercussions of such a decision, which would strain ties with the United States and Iraq. "There could be pros and cons of such a decision, but what is important is our country's interests."

Erdogan also had harsh words for the United States, which opposes a Turkish incursion into northern Iraq -- one of the country's few relatively stable areas.

"Did they seek permission from anyone when they came from a distance of 10,000 kilometers and hit Iraq?" he said. "We do not need anyone else's advice."

Analysts say Turkey could be less restrained about defying the United States because of a congressional committee's approval of a resolution labeling the mass killings of Armenians around the time of World War I as genocide.

"Democrats are harming the future of the United States and are encouraging anti-American sentiments," Erdogan said. Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives support the resolution.

Erdogan said Turkey was ready to sacrifice good ties with Washington if necessary.

"Let it snap from wherever it gets thin," Erdogan said, using a Turkish expression that means breaking ties with someone or something.

At issue in the resolution is the killing of up to 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks. Turkey denies that the deaths constituted genocide, saying the toll has been inflated, and those killed were victims of civil war and unrest that killed Muslims as well as the overwhelmingly Christian Armenians.

Turkey, a key supply route to U.S. troops in Iraq, recalled its ambassador to Washington for consultations and warned of serious repercussions if Congress passes the resolution.

"In the United States, there are several narrow-minded legislators who can't think of their own interests and who cannot understand the importance of Turkey," said Murat Mercan, head of the Turkish parliament's foreign relations committee.

Turkish authorities have refused to comment on whether Turkey might shut down Incirlik air base in southern Turkey, a major cargo hub for U.S. and allied military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. Turkey's Mediterranean port of Iskenderun is also used to ferry goods to American troops.

The Yeni Safak newspaper, which is close to the Turkish government, said Friday that Incirlik and $15 billion worth of defense contracts, including purchase of warplanes, missile and radar systems, could be reviewed. Turkey could also prevent U.S. firms from taking part in new contracts, Yeni Safak said.

Erdogan said Turkey has long been seeking the cooperation of Iraq and the United States in its fight against Kurdish guerrillas, but there has been no crackdown on the rebel Kurdistan Workers' Party, which has bases in Iraq. Erdogan said a recent anti-terrorism deal signed with Iraq was not valid since it had not been approved by Iraq's parliament yet.

The Turkish parliament was expected to approve a government request to authorize an Iraq campaign as early as next week, after a holiday ending the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

"We are making necessary preparations to be ready in case we decide on a cross-border operation since we don't have patience to lose more time," Erdogan said, adding that Turkey has lost 30 people in rebel attacks over the past two weeks.

Bahoz Erdal, a senior rebel commander, said the PKK fighters were moving further inside Turkey and taking new "positions" in the face of attacks from Turkey, pro-Kurdish Firat News Agency reported Friday. The agency is based in Belgium.

The conflict has killed tens of thousands of people since 1984.
Armenian Patriarch condemns anti-Turkish resolution
Ankara has warned that the resolution will harm Turkish-US relations and has vowed to lobby against its being ratified by Congress.

DEMRE - The head of the Armenian church in Turkey said he opposed the passing of a resolution by the US House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs acknowledging claims the Ottoman Empire committed an act of genocide against its Armenian citizens in World War One. Haberin devamı
Patriarch Mesrob Mutafyan said the resolution had become a tool of US domestic policy and that he and other Turkish Armenians would do everything in their power to prevent the resolution being passed into law by a vote of the US Congress.

Last Tuesday, the Committee on Foreign Affairs voted 27 to 21 in favour of the resolution, which is opposed by the Bush administration. Senior US officials, including President George W Bush and Secretary of State Condalezza Rice, have spoke out against the resolution and promised Ankara they will work to prevent it from passing into law.

Speaking in the southern Turkish town of Demre Sunday, where he was visiting the Church of Saint Nicolas, Patriarch Mesrob said that criticisms over the resolution should not extend to Turkey’s own Armenian community.

The proposal by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan Erdogan to set up a joint commission of historians with Armenia to study the issue was an important offer, and one that should be acted on, the Patriarch said.
[/quote]
www.ntvmsnbc.com/news/422972.asp
Turkey Threatens Repercussions for US
Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:51 PM EDTworld-news, us, turkey, genocideChristopher Torchia, AP WriterHouse Speaker Nancy Pelosi says the resolution shouldn't affect U.S. relations with Turkey.Images (showing 1 of 7 photos)
Members of the left-wing Workers' Party wave Turkish flags as they chant slogans during a protest against the U.S. and its passing of a bill describing World War I-era killings of Armenians as genocide, Istanbul, Turkey, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007. Despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and opposition by U.S. President George W. Bush, the House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the bill by a 27-21 vote, a move likely to be considered an insult by most Turks. (AP Photo/Murad Sezer)

Members of the left-wing Workers' Party wave Turkish flags as they chant slogans during a protest against the U.S. and its passing of a bill describing World War I-era killings of Armenians as genocide, Istanbul, Turkey, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007. Despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and opposition by U.S. President George W. Bush, the House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the bill by a 27-21 vote, a move likely to be considered an insult by most Turks. (AP Photo/Murad Sezer)

Members of the left-wing Workers' Party chant slogans as they wave Turkish flags during a protest against the U.S. and its passing of a bill describing World War I-era killings of Armenians as genocide, in Istanbul, Turkey, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007. Despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and opposition by U.S. President George W. Bush, the House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the bill by a 27-21 vote, a move likely to be considered an insult by most Turks. (AP Photo/Ibrahim Usta)

Members of the left-wing Workers' Party wave Turkish flags, while a man, second from left, holds a banner reading, "Genocide is a lie and it's an American game", as they chant slogans during a protest against the U.S. and its passing of a bill describing World War I-era killings of Armenians as genocide, Istanbul, Turkey, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007. Despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and opposition by U.S. President George W. Bush, the House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the bill by a 27-21 vote, a move likely to be considered an insult by most Turks. (AP Photo/Murad Sezer)

Demonstrators, members of the left-wing Workers' Party, wave their party and Turkish flags as they gather in a protest against the U.S. in down town in Istanbul, Turkey, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007. Turkey swiftly condemned a House panel's approval of a bill describing the World War I-era mass killings of Armenians as genocide. The House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the bill Wednesday by a 27-21 vote despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials. (AP Photo / Serkan Senturk)

Members of the left-wing Workers' Party carry a huge Turkish flag during a protest against the U.S. and its passing of a bill describing World War I-era killings of Armenians as genocide, in Istanbul, Turkey, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007. Despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and opposition by U.S. President George W. Bush, the House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the bill by a 27-21 vote, a move likely to be considered an insult by most Turks. (AP Photo/Murad Sezer)

Members of the left-wing Workers' Party wave Turkish flags as they chant slogans during a protest against the U.S. and its passing of a bill describing World War I-era killings of Armenians as genocide, Istanbul, Turkey, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007. Despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and opposition by U.S. President George W. Bush, the House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the bill by a 27-21 vote, a move likely to be considered an insult by most Turks. (AP Photo/Ibrahim Usta)
ANKARA — Turkey, which is a key supply route to U.S. troops in Iraq, recalled its ambassador to Washington on Thursday and warned of serious repercussions if Congress labels the killing of Armenians by Turks a century ago as genocide.

Ordered after a House committee endorsed the genocide measure, the summons of the ambassador for consultations was a further sign of the deteriorating relations between two longtime allies and the potential for new turmoil in an already troubled region.

Egeman Bagis, an aide to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, told Turkish media that Turkey — a conduit for many of the supplies shipped to American bases in both Iraq and Afghanistan — might have to "cut logistical support to the U.S."

Analysts also have speculated the resolution could make Turkey more inclined to send troops into northern Iraq to hunt Turkish Kurd rebels, a move opposed by the U.S. because it would disrupt one of the few relatively stable and peaceful Iraqi areas.

"There are steps that we will take," Turkey's prime minister told reporters, but without elaboration. It also wasn't clear if he meant his government would act immediately or wait to see what happens to the resolution in Congress.

He declined to answer questions about whether Turkey might shut down Incirlik air base in southern Turkey, a major cargo hub for U.S. and allied military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. Turkey's Mediterranean port of Iskenderun is also used to ferry goods to American troops.

"You don't talk about such things, you just do them," Erdogan said.

The measure before Congress is just a nonbinding resolution without the force of law, but the debate has incensed Turkey's government.

The relationship between the two NATO allies, whose troops fought together in the Korean War in 1950-53, have stumbled in the past. They hit a low in 2003, when Turkey's parliament refused to allow U.S. forces use their country as a staging ground for the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

But while the threat of repercussions against the U.S. is appealing for many Turks, the country's leaders know such a move could hurt Turkey's standing as a reliable ally of the West and its ambitions to be a mediator on the international stage.

The Turks did suspend military ties with France last year after parliament's lower house approved a bill that would have made it a crime to deny the mass killings of Armenians in Turkey amounted to genocide. But Turkey has much more to lose from cutting ties to the U.S.

The United States is one of its major business partners, with $11 billion in trade last year, and the U.S. defense industry provides much of the Turkish military's equipment.

Turkey's ambassador in Washington, Nabi Sensoy, was ordered home for discussions with the Turkish leadership about what is happening in Congress, Foreign Minister spokesman Levent Bilman said. He said Sensoy would go back after seven to 10 days.

"We are not withdrawing our ambassador. We have asked him to come to Turkey for some consultations," Bilman said. "The ambassador was given instructions to return and will come at his earliest convenience."

The Bush administration, which is lobbying strongly in hopes of persuading Congress to reject the resolution, stressed the need for good relations with Turkey.

"We look forward to his quick return and will continue to work to maintain strong U.S.-Turkish relations," said Gordon Johndroe, a spokesman for the National Security Council. "We remain opposed to House Resolution 106 because of the grave harm it could bring to the national security of the United States."

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the measure is damaging relations at a time when U.S. forces in Iraq rely heavily on Turkish permission to use their airspace for cargo flights.

About 70 percent of U.S. air cargo headed for Iraq goes through Turkey as does about one-third of the fuel used by the U.S. military there. U.S. bases also get water and other supplies carried in overland by Turkish truckers who cross into Iraq's northern Kurdish region.

In addition, C-17 cargo planes fly military supplies to U.S. soldiers in remote areas of Iraq from Incirlik, avoiding the use of Iraqi roads vulnerable to bomb attacks. U.S. officials say the arrangement helps reduce American casualties.

U.S.-Turkish ties already had been strained by Turkey's complaint the U.S. hasn't done enough to stop Turkish Kurd rebels from using bases in northern Iraq to stage attacks in southeastern Turkey, a predominantly Kurdish region where tens of thousands have died in fighting since 1984.

Turkish warplanes and helicopter gunships attacked suspected positions of Kurdish rebels on the border this week and Turkey's parliament was expected to vote next week on a proposal to allow the military to pursue a large-scale offensive in northern Iraq.

The U.S. ambassador to Turkey, Ross Wilson, was invited to the Foreign Ministry, where officials conveyed their "unease" over the resolution in Congress and asked the Bush administration do all in its power to stop passage by the full House, a Foreign Ministry official said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make press statements.

Historians estimate up to 1.5 million Armenians were killed by Ottoman Turks around the time of World War I. Turkey denies the deaths constituted genocide, saying the killings didn't come from a coordinated campaign but rather during unrest accompanying the Ottoman Empire's collapse.

The House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the resolution Wednesday despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and the opposition from President Bush. The vote was a triumph for well-organized Armenian-American interest groups that have lobbied Congress for decades to pass a resolution.

The administration will now try to pressure Democratic leaders in Congress not to schedule a vote, but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi indicated they were committed to going forward.

"Why do it now? Because there's never a good time and all of us in the Democratic leadership have supported" it, she said.

Turkish officials said the House had no business to get involved in writing history.

"It is not possible to accept such an accusation of a crime which was never committed by the Turkish nation," Turkey's government said after the committee adopted the measure.

___

Associated Press writers C. Onur Ant in Istanbul and Suzan Fraser in Ankara contributed to this report.

(This version CORRECTS SUBS 24th graf, `The House ...' to correct time to Wednesday sted Thursday)

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/10/11/10193 ... ons-for-us

Pelosi and Congress Botch U.S. - Turkey Relations
News Type: Event — Seeded on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:10 PM EDTArticle Source: MSNBCiraq, kurdistan, kurds, genocide, gen-yasar-buyukanit, nancy-pelosi, muslims, world-news, world-war-one, us, turkeySeeded by Tom Bombadil
Turkey's top general warned that ties with the U.S., already strained by attacks from rebels hiding in Iraq, will be irreversibly damaged if Congress passes a resolution that labels the World War I-era killings of Armenians a genocide.

Turkey, which is a major cargo hub for U.S. and allied military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, has recalled its ambassador to Washington for consultations and warned that there might be a cut in the logistical support to the U.S. over the issue.

Gen. Yasar Buyukanit told daily Milliyet newspaper that a congressional committee's approval of the measure had already harmed ties between the two countries.
tombombadil.newsvine.com/_news/2007/10/14/1024767-pelosi-and-congress-botch-us-turkey-relations-

C'mon. After almost a century the House is condemning Turkey?

If Turkey invades Iraq, won't we have to go to war against Turkey because we have put ourselves in the position to defend Iraq now? Who else would side with Turkey against the U.S. if this happens? Iran? yes. Russia and China? Thoughts?

Am I wrong or does this sound like it could potentially be the beginning of WWIII?

Thanks Nancy.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

You have to ask yourself: why now? The timing isn't a coincidence. In my opinion, this is all about Iraq and the upcoming elections. The Democrats want to end the war in Iraq, but they don't want the blame for defeat to fall upon their shoulders. If they can criticize Turkey for a decades-old crime, and piss them off sufficiently so that they withdraw their logistical support from our M.E. efforts, then the Dems face a win-win scenario: they look like the good guys by criticizing genocide (who could be against that?), but they also get to pin the end of the Iraq war on Turkey. The collapse of the region into a multinational civil war can be spun to blame the recently-acknowledged culprit of genocide. This is all about politics. And very stupid, cowardly politics if you ask me.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Mistress Cathy »

Ok, I will admit that I am far from astute on politics but doesn't this defeat the purpose of getting out of war? It seems to do just the opposite - get us in deeper. This seems incredibly foolish.

The Turks have already had problems for years with the PKK wanting some of their territory and the U.S. keeps telling the Turks to let us handle it.

Then, we turn around and insult them to the point that they might kick us out of Turkey which is our military foothold for the Middle East.

This would leave the Turks free to invade Iraq to end their problems with the PKK and forcing us to go back into Iraq to stop the fighting and protect Iraq.

I was trying to avoid sounding like this is just a power play for Pelosi et al in hopes that there is something that I am not seeing. But the more I look into it, the more it looks like it simply is a political power play, as you said.

Anyone? Please discuss.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Oh man when I opened this I was really hungry so I was like "I bet it has something to do with thanksgiving."

If I'm thinking about thanksgiving in october I'm HUNGRY.

Anyways,
I think acknowledging the genocide in turkey is something we should have done. Turkey should be pushed to realize what they did. In principle I agree with the bill. But to do it now makes me really, really suspicious of the dems backing it.

The fact that an armenian priest is saying the bill is a policy tool just reinforces this. Now, I'm not sure if I see what exactly pelosi is trying to do but it prolly isn't anything good.
Turkish officials said the House had no business to get involved in writing history.

"It is not possible to accept such an accusation of a crime which was never committed by the Turkish nation," Turkey's government said after the committee adopted the measure.
At the same time, I can't help but laugh at this: ya, ok, US govt shouldn't be writing history but ever heard "history is written by the winners?" I guess we should just assume the genocide never occurred because turkey says it didn't?
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

i've been reading about this for a while now. genocide should always be acknowledged. that being said, i've been wondering too, why now. it's been 90 years. turkey is one of very few muslim countries who are our ally and the only muslim country in NATO. why would we risk our relationship with them now? what i find most interesting however, is that the democrats are backing this after years and years of condemning this administration for alienating everyone in the world, but they want to alienate our ally?
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Mistress Cathy »

KiGirl, that was what I was thinking.

Genocide should always be condemned. That is a given. But, like you said 90 years later leads me to believe that they are using this as an excuse.

If we are kicked out of Turkey, don't we have to leave Iraq?
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Ironic that the Democrats are saying anything about Turkey's genocide 90 years ago today, given that in the late '90s, it was Clinton who made enormous arms deals with the Turks so that they could carry out ethnic cleansing in the southeastern part of that country. A move, by the way, not challenged by the Congress Republicans either.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Ironic that the Democrats are saying anything about Turkey's genocide 90 years ago today, given that in the late '90s, it was Clinton who made enormous arms deals with the Turks so that they could carry out ethnic cleansing in the southeastern part of that country. A move, by the way, not challenged by the Congress Republicans either.
If you examine the senate's record, there are no winners and losers. Only assholes.
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Thank you Nancy Pelosi. :roll:

Now, perhaps a paranoid person would think...let's see....Turkey helps the US in the fight in Iraq (staging area, etc) ...things are getting better in Iraq lately...dang it...can't let this admin get any breaks....let's mess things up with Turkey so the US starts loosing again.

But that's just paranoid thinking...isn't it...no one would suspect that the Dems would want the US to loose an unpopular war...
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Hmm, this might not be that new an issue, and it might be in response to more recent occurrences.

www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/003490.php
"In the past, when the State Department has spoken out against an Armenian Genocide Resolution, it has argued that such legislation would not contribute to improved Turkish-Armenian relations. We have been told, recently and in the past, that the State Department and the Administration have fought so strenuously against this legislation, because its adoption would somehow harm progress in the region toward the normalization of ties between these two states.

"This line of reasoning is, in my view, deeply flawed," Pallone continued in his letter. "However, if the State Department were to seriously rely on this argument concerning improved Turkey-Armenia relations, it would stand to reason that the State Department should also publicly and privately condemn Turkey's patently hateful codification of its official campaign to deny the Armenian Genocide, the most recent attempt being in the form of a repressive and unjustified new criminal code."
I'm not rushing to defend the dems on this, but it might be that this issue is of some importance. But, I'm gonna take some time to look for other stuff.

Again,
In the past, when the State Department has spoken out against an Armenian Genocide Resolution, it has argued that such legislation would not contribute to improved Turkish-Armenian relations.
This raises the question of whether the effort is sincere, but I'm going to try to see how long the US has been debating this as public policy. I think it's a bit much to say it's a plot to destroy US success off the bat already.

Note-I would find it ironic if I find evidence to validate the dems using a site that links frontpage XD
Mistress Cathy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Mistress Cathy »

Ironic that the Democrats are saying anything about Turkey's genocide 90 years ago today, given that in the late '90s, it was Clinton who made enormous arms deals with the Turks so that they could carry out ethnic cleansing in the southeastern part of that country. A move, by the way, not challenged by the Congress Republicans either.
Good point, LM>
If you examine the senate's record, there are no winners and losers. Only assholes.
:lol: Well put, Holsety.
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

I'm not very happy about the timing on this either, but there is one other answer as far as timing is concerned: In the last year or so, they've found several mass graves in Turkey. Before that, it was possible to say, "Well? Where's the proof of this so-called genocide?"
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

This article on the resolution was in The Economist last week:
Judging genocide

Oct 11th 2007 | ANKARA AND NEW YORK
From Economist.com
Strained relations between Turkey and America

“THE Mohammedans in their fanaticism seemed determined not only to exterminate the Christian population but to remove all traces of their religion and…civilisation.” So wrote an American consul in Turkey, in 1915, about an incipient campaign by Ottoman Turkey against its Armenian population. Today, Turkey explains the killings of huge numbers of Armenians—as many as 1.5m died—as an unpleasant by-product of the first world war’s viciousness, in which Turks suffered too. But Armenians have long campaigned for recognition of what they say was genocide.

On Wednesday October 10th America’s Congress stepped closer to endorsing the latter view. The foreign-affairs committee of the House of Representatives passed a bill stating that “the Armenian Genocide was conceived and carried out by the Ottoman Empire from 1915 to 1923.” The bill has enough co-sponsors that it seems likely to pass the full House. The speaker, Nancy Pelosi, has a large number of Armenians in her home district and has promised the measure a vote on the floor. As a foretaste of the trouble this could stir up in Turkey, the country’s president, Abdullah Gul, immediately condemned the passage of the bill. He called it “unacceptable” and accused American politicians of being willing to cause “big problems for small domestic political games”.

Turkey is enormously important to American military efforts in the Middle East. So leading American politicians past and present have lined up to oppose the resolution. President George Bush has said historians, not legislators, should decide the matter. Turkey has hired Dick Gephardt, a former leader of the Democrats in the House, to lobby against the bill. All eight living former secretaries of state, from Henry Kissinger to Madeleine Albright, who lost three grandparents in the Nazi Holocaust, oppose the bill. So does Condoleezza Rice, who holds the post now. Jane Harman, a powerful and hawkish Democrat, initially co-sponsored the measure. But last week she urged its withdrawal. A trip to Turkey, where she met the prime minister and the Armenian Orthodox patriarch, changed her mind.

Ms Harman echoed an argument that others have made against the resolution: that Turkey itself is tiptoeing towards normal relations with neighbouring Armenia. The resolution could throw that process off course. But in other ways Turkey has not helped its own case: its criminal code has been used against writers within the country who dare to mention genocide.

And other Turkish behaviour has further distanced it from America. Turkey recently signed a deal to develop oil and gas with Iran, and has made overtures to Hamas, which runs part of the Palestinian Authority and continues to refuse to recognise Israel. Such behaviour has cost Turkey some support among Jewish Americans—formerly ardent supporters of Turkey as a moderate Muslim republic that is friendly to Israel. Some even worry that a freshly insulted Turkey will not heed America’s opinion when, for example, it thinks about crossing the border into Iraq to pound Kurdish fighters.

It is hardly surprising that Turkey is feeling put-upon. Last year, France’s National Assembly passed a bill not only declaring that the Armenian massacres constituted genocide, but making it a crime to deny it. Had the bill made it into law this would have resulted in an absurd situation in which Turkish law forbade mention of genocide while French law forbade its denial, all during Turkey’s application to join the European Union. Turks complained that the French bill had less to do with Armenians, and more to do with deterring Turkey’s EU membership. The mood has not improved since. France’s new president, Nicolas Sarkozy, is an outspoken opponent of Turkish membership.

Hurt feelings on both sides are pushing Turkey and the West apart: Turkey feels mistreated, and acts in such a way. But the deal with Iran and its pell-mell pursuit of Kurdish terrorists into Iraq antagonise Americans and Europeans further. At the least, the panicky reaction of the Bush administration over the genocide resolution shows that policymakers realise that they can no longer take Turkey ’s friendship for granted.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Very interesting. And the Turkish may be looking for an excuse to act against the Kurds too.

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Plissken wrote:I'm not very happy about the timing on this either, but there is one other answer as far as timing is concerned: In the last year or so, they've found several mass graves in Turkey. Before that, it was possible to say, "Well? Where's the proof of this so-called genocide?"
That's a good point. But can't we recognize genocide without an act of Congress? As Bush said, this is for historians to decide, not lawmakers. Congressmen write laws, not history books. They decide how we're supposed to treat each other, not what we're supposed to think, or what the truth is. From criticizing private citizens, to criticizing an ally for something done more than half a century ago . . . do we really need them to do all this criticizing? Why don't they actually DO something, rather than SAY things? We don't need them to pass laws declaring our "official opinion."
Turkey has hired Dick Gephardt, a former leader of the Democrats in the House, to lobby against the bill. All eight living former secretaries of state, from Henry Kissinger to Madeleine Albright, who lost three grandparents in the Nazi Holocaust, oppose the bill. So does Condoleezza Rice, who holds the post now. Jane Harman, a powerful and hawkish Democrat, initially co-sponsored the measure. But last week she urged its withdrawal. A trip to Turkey, where she met the prime minister and the Armenian Orthodox patriarch, changed her mind.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Post by Avatar »

Malik23 wrote:We don't need them to pass laws declaring our "official opinion."
Agreed. Seems a bit of overkill to me. Still, I don't see the "law" part of it being a problem to Turks if this is really what they're "insulted" by.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Turkey brushes aside US appeal

Ankara - Turkey's parliament resoundingly approved a motion on Wednesday allowing troops to cross into northern Iraq to crush Kurdish rebels hiding there, brushing aside appeals from the United States and the Baghdad government.

As parliament voted in Ankara, US President George W Bush said it would not be in Turkey's interests to send troops into northern Iraq.

Washington fears a Turkish incursion could destabilise the most peaceful part of Iraq and possibly the wider region by encouraging others such as arch-foe Iran to intervene.

Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan has played down expectations of any imminent attack, but the parliamentary vote gives Nato's second biggest army the legal basis to cross the mountainous border as and when it sees fit.

Ankara's stance has helped propel global oil prices to new record highs above $88 a barrel, though they eased on Wednesday.

"We have proposed this motion for the peace and welfare of our country. After accepting this motion, we will do what is necessary for the country's interests," Deputy Prime Minister Cemil Cicek told parliament.

Fears of separatism

Cicek stressed that any military action would target only the rebels of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK). He said the government would also continue to use economic and diplomatic measures in its fight against terrorism.

Opposition parties, rallying behind the government, slammed US policy in the region, reiterating Turkish fears it will lead to the creation of an independent Kurdish state in northern Iraq - a move Ankara fears could fan separatism among its own large ethnic Kurdish population.

Only the small pro-Kurdish Democratic Society Party (DTP) spoke against the motion, arguing that military action would worsen the economic plight of Turkey's mainly Kurdish southeast.

Fearing possible rebel sabotage, Turkey has beefed up security for a major oil pipeline carrying Caspian crude from the Azeri capital Baku via Georgia to the Turkish Mediterranean port of Ceyhan, a senior energy ministry source said.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki telephoned Erdogan to reiterate his commitment to combating the PKK. Baghdad said it would send a high-level delegation to Turkey.

'End military activity'

Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, who is a Kurd, condemned the PKK tactics but urged Turkey to show restraint.

"We consider the activities of the PKK against the interests of the Kurdish people and against the interests of Turkey. We have asked the PKK to stop fighting and end military activity," Talabani said during a visit to Paris.

Nato Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and France joined the chorus of calls for restraint and a diplomatic solution to the crisis.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said during an official visit to Ankara he backed Turkey's fight against terrorism.
--A
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

In light of Turkey wanting to go into Iraq, which I know they have wanted to do for some time now, but the US has been strongly opposed to this...do you think maybe they are getting overly insulted about the US resolution on genocide and a way to break off from America in order to invade Iraq? I know that last year, France passed some kind of similar resolution as the US (i know it isn't exactly the same, but similar) and the Turks broke off all military ties with France.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

They are definitely insulted by it, and it's fueling their drive to attack the Kurds in Iraq. It's important to note that they claim the Kurds are attacking them, and that the US and UN aren't doing a damn thing about it, so that's pissing them off too. I certainly wouldn't classify it as an invasion, tho. It's payback.

Post by Avatar »

Iraq confirms PKK ceasefire

Baghdad - Kurdish rebels fighting Turkish troops will announce a ceasefire on Monday evening, the office of Iraqi President Jalal Talabani said.

"We confirm that president Talabani said at Sulaimaniya airport that the PKK will announce a ceasefire this evening," an official in his office said.
--A

Return to “Coercri”