Stargate (SG-1 and Atlantis)

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Okay, I take back anything I said about originality. I thinke every episode so far has had a major reference to or rip-off from SG1.

Also, what is with this new obsession with the gruesome? "Reunion" was bloodier than average, and there's a bit in "Doppleganger" that it made me cringe just to read, let alone watch. And has one episode gone by so far where there isn't a protracted fight scene? Or do they just read so much longer on the transcripts?

Also bitter about the direction in which McKay's character is developing. I'm a little sad that David Hewlett seems to be going along with it. In the first couple seasons, McKay was the geeky, arrogant jerk who looked like he was learning some valuable lessons as he went along, and becoming a better guy for it. Starting in Season 3, he became the constant comic relief, not only the class clown but the class joke. All the good stuff they were headed for with that character has gone out the window. He's barely believable anymore. I'm very disappointed.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sorry, just got back from the Melbourne Armageddon con where I met AND HAD DINNER WITH Joe Flanigan, Connor Trinneer, Peter Woodward, & John Wesley Shipp and went to a cocktail party where Alan Tudyk was a guest!!! Even got a goodbye kiss from The Flan...he is AWESOME as well as gorgeous! And Connor is a real sweetheart - I sat next to him at the dinner and he was chatty and fun! *squeeee*

I also got all of Season 3 Atlantis under my belt now - :| to channel 7! I got the DVDs rather than wait for those buggers to air it!

Don't matter what you say about Atlantis, I will still watch season 4 and enjoy it. Anyway, don't you realise, there are only 9 plots in sci-fi!!!
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

LOL, that sounds awesome! Glad you had a good time. :D Did you put in a good word for SRD? Spread the joy of THOOLAH? :lol:

And OMG, why does everybody keep calling Joe. F. "The Flan?" All I can think about when I see that is custard, and I despise custard. Nasty, squishy, yellow, yuck.
Elfgirl wrote:Anyway, don't you realise, there are only 9 plots in sci-fi!!!

Yeah, and Atlantis only seems to use three of them. :P
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

"Reunion" was broadcast tonight. Wouldn't have noticed the blood if you hadn't mentioned it, but yeah, more than usual. And Rodney barely had a part in the episode, other than 'being Rodney'. I could say the same for most of the others, though, as well.
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

You know, it's a pity that they don't actually read some fan-fic...they'd get some damn fine storylines...

Actually, Joe said to me at the dinner (when I gave him a book of all the manips I'd done of SGA & him as Han Solo, Anakin Skywalker, Mr Fantastic etc) - "we should do an episode of Atlantis titled "John & Rodney's Excellent Adventure" (after he saw a manip I did based on Bill & Ted's EA*)...he was so funny and cute...he is Shep in real life for most part! :lol:

*(I'll upload the pic when f**king photobucket decides to resume normal operations... :roll: )
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Elfgirl wrote:Actually, Joe said to me at the dinner (when I gave him a book of all the manips I'd done of SGA & him as Han Solo, Anakin Skywalker, Mr Fantastic etc) - "we should do an episode of Atlantis titled "John & Rodney's Excellent Adventure" (after he saw a manip I did based on Bill & Ted's EA )
ROTFL! OMG, I would send them money to do that! Not that it would do more than buy the crew a couple of pizzas, but still... (Also, I totally wouldn't have had the guts to give an actor a book of stuff I'd done on him/her. 8O )

And amen about the fanfic. Some of the best work I've ever read, period, has been fanfic. If those people could get published in place of all those terrible dime novel writers, the world would be a better place.

Wait until you see "Doppleganger," Murrin. Rodney definitely gets clowned with (in more ways than one :roll: ).

Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Finally PB is behaving itself...

this is the pic that had Joe Flanigan chuckling...

*btw, "Lt.Col.Errandboy" is my callsign on GateWorld..* ;)
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

OMG, that's awesome! :lol: And you've got Ford and Carson in it, too! Sweet. I don't suppose you write fanfic? 'cause somebody has to write this. I demand it!

Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Throw me some plot lines, and I'll take a crack at in - who knows? If it's any good, I'll try pitching to TPTB over at the Atlantis writing desk! :lol:
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I missed "Doppelganger", so I still can't say on the subject of Rodney. "Travelers" was actually not that bad, though nowhere near as good as "Prometheus Unbound", the SG-1 ep it was ripped off from. Still undecided on how good or bad this show really is.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Anybody getting a serious "Raiders of the Lost Ark" feel for this upcoming Stargate movie? Have we run out of original plots or what?

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Upcoming Stargate movie? Really? 8O

-jay
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Hrm, Stargate did NOT benefit by being on right before Galactica. Seeing the two back to back reiterates exactly how much worse a show it is :)

In a world with BSG, all other extant sci-fi shows just can't make the cut. (Actually, include pretty much all extinct ones too, except maybe hitchikers guide :))
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

There were a few seasons of SG1 that were very good. But the newest season of SG1 kinda did suck. Same thing that happened to the X-Files - too much of a good thing.

Also, Firefly and most of Farscape were pretty spectacular - better than BSG. :P

Not just one movie, but two, straight-to-DVD. It's a quick wrap-up of the plots that got left hanging when the show got cancelled. Though I did hear rumors of a sequel to the original movie, too... that would be sweet.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Farscape is probably the best sci-fi show I've seen. Battlestar Galactica dropped a long way in quality during the second half of season 2 and the start of season 3; I gave up on it halfway through s3.

I've also kind of given up on Atlantis, now. I do sometimes still think about watching the new eps, but I can never be bothered to go to the effort.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I guess I'm a fanboi :)

(CMON! The entire New Caprica storyline was incredible! And I might have to put the Season 3 finale down as the single greatest season finale forever ever!!!)
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

The Dreaming wrote:I guess I'm a fanboi :)
Don't worry, you're allowed. :D The only reason I watch Atlantis is for the John/Rodney (inter)action. The acting is pretty good in most cases, but the writing sucks.

Murrin, you should watch "Miller's Crossing" if you have the time. A mediocre episode for the most part, until the end, where
Spoiler
John feeds the guilt-laden company president to a Wraith while his men watch, spends thirty seconds angsting over it,
and then he and Rodney go have lunch. It's a marvelous dichotomy of "powerful character revelation" and "terrible writing." Takes place in something like the last ten minutes of the episode. Totally worth watching.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I saw the last half hour of the ep (it was this week's episode). Thought it was pretty stupid, to be honest--he could have easily just taken a few years off him and let him live, and it's a little out of character for Sheppard to let him die when there's another option.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

See, I didn't think it was out of character at all. Time and again it's been shown that Sheppard will do anything to protect his people, even if it means letting other people die. I see it as just another bit of character development - the cool-and-casual guy who's really kind of a cold-hearted bastard to anybody who's not "in" with him.

And yeah, I guess he could have just taken a few years off, but I think that really is the bad writing coming through as much as the character development. They always jump to the most radical conclusion of a scenario without explaining away or exploring other options, and when they do explain something, it's pretty much just having an actor state everything out front instead of letting it out in natural-sounding conversation.

Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

Murrin wrote: Farscape is probably the best sci-fi show I've seen.
*iz proud to be Australian*
Murrin wrote: I've also kind of given up on Atlantis, now. I do sometimes still think about watching the new eps, but I can never be bothered to go to the effort.
:? Meh. I love it. But then I'm a Shep-aholic. I loved even the suckiest eps in Season 2 (just because he was in it) I rather like the new 'dark look' to S4...

I'm lucky because a mate in NSW (fellow Shep-aholic) has sent me the first 10 eps of season 4, so I feel privileged to have even seen this much. The networks in Oz are so lame they haven't even screened season 3 - i went out and bought in on DVD. Heh.

"Have yourself a very Sheppy christmas...la dee dah dee dah..."
ImageImageImage
-- Nick Succorso

Return to “TV Shows”