Morn

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Morn

Post by Fist and Faith »

OK, what the hell happened in Morn???? It was long before the Fallen/Crippled/Chained God was brought down. It was long before at lease the 33rd Jaghut War. Is it mentioned after HoC? Because that's all I've read.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm not really sure. I've forgotten even some of the information we got in MoI about it. All I can remember is there was "the Rent", one of the bad kind of gates that tends to tear places open, and that it ws sealed with the soul of a Matron.
IIRC, it had something to do with the war between the K'Chain Chemalle and the K'Chain Nah'Ruk, the Short-Tails. That bit of info might have been from The Bonehunters, but I can't remember enough to be sure. It certainly doesn't play any important part in the later books, no, but the whole K'Chain/Nah'Ruk backstory is building up to something.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah. Yeah, thanks. The rent is discussed early on in MoI. Da Man, Onos T'oolan, and Envy talk about it. I guess the Matron is used to seal it, but then Kilava sends the two Jaghut children into it, not knowing what it is. The girl is stuck there for a loooooooong time, freeing the Matron. And the boy isn't stuck, but becomes the Pannion Seer. (Or something like that?)

Those K'Chain folks are seriously serious in MoI, and I guess we don't see even half of what they were capable of back during the times before Morn.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, the girl took the Matron's place in the Rent, and the boy went through to the other side--into Chaos, IIRC. For 300,000 years he had no-one to talk to but the matron, and it drove him a little nutty.

As for the K'Chain... their story has been building up slowly, kind of in the background of everything else. Bit like the reappearence of the Jaghut, Toblakai, and some Forkrul Assail, all coming back from supposed near-extinction--except the K'Chain thing seems a lot bigger.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Murrin wrote:Yeah, the girl took the Matron's place in the Rent, and the boy went through to the other side--into Chaos, IIRC. For 300,000 years he had no-one to talk to but the matron, and it drove him a little nutty.
I'm not even 100 pages into my MoI reread, but, iirc, she was a bit nutty, too! :lol:
Murrin wrote:As for the K'Chain... their story has been building up slowly, kind of in the background of everything else. Bit like the reappearence of the Jaghut, Toblakai, and some Forkrul Assail, all coming back from supposed near-extinction--except the K'Chain thing seems a lot bigger.
Considering how extraordinary the rest of it is (I'm particularly fond of the T'lan Imass/Jaghut stuff), I'm sure it will be beyond amazing! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

ok...i may be confusing issues but i thought Morn had something to do with Kallor and his misdeeds.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

MoI opens with the end of the 33rd Jaghut War, when Kilava inadvertently sends the two Jaghut children to their terrible fates, nearly 300,000 years before Burn's Sleep. That takes place in Morn.

Immediately after that in the book, K'rul, Draconus, and Nightchill curse, and are cursed by, Kallor. That happens more than 100,000 years later.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Fist and Faith wrote:Ah. Yeah, thanks. The rent is discussed early on in MoI. Da Man, Onos T'oolan, and Envy talk about it. I guess the Matron is used to seal it, but then Kilava sends the two Jaghut children into it, not knowing what it is. The girl is stuck there for a loooooooong time, freeing the Matron. And the boy isn't stuck, but becomes the Pannion Seer. (Or something like that?)

Those K'Chain folks are seriously serious in MoI, and I guess we don't see even half of what they were capable of back during the times before Morn.
It seems possible to me that the rent is used to seal the matron, not the other way around. But right now I really don't have any solid ideas.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It is certainly possible. Maybe there was no other way to get rid of her. Maybe creating the rent to imprison her is what turned Morn into the wasteland of broken glass we now know.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”