Dissection?

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Dissection?

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Dumb question... has dissection of the 4 tolkien books (Hobbit, Lord of the Rings et al) been discussed? I did a search and came up blank on it.

Anyone interested?
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I assume most TC fans have read LOTR, so I think we could easily drum up something.

Maybe start with The Hobbit or The Fellowship and if it's popular, move on to Two Towers and Return of the King.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Lord Foul wrote:I assume most TC fans have read LOTR, so I think we could easily drum up something.

Maybe start with The Hobbit or The Fellowship and if it's popular, move on to Two Towers and Return of the King.
Since I'm in favor of continuity I think starting out with the Hobbit would be prudent because it all starts with the ONE RING, Bilbo & Gollum.

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Seafoam Understone wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:I assume most TC fans have read LOTR, so I think we could easily drum up something.

Since I'm in favor of continuity I think starting out with the Hobbit would be prudent because it all starts with the ONE RING, Bilbo & Gollum.
I would say don't start with the Hobbit. When JRR Tolkien wrote the Hobbit, he had no idea that the ring that Bilbo found was THE Ring. Start with the Fellowship. The Lord of the Rings is self-contained. You can read it without reading the Hobbit first.
B&
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Emotional Leper wrote:
Seafoam Understone wrote:

I would say don't start with the Hobbit. When JRR Tolkien wrote the Hobbit, he had no idea that the ring that Bilbo found was THE Ring. Start with the Fellowship. The Lord of the Rings is self-contained. You can read it without reading the Hobbit first.
Yes that is true, which is probably why Jackson went on ahead and made the three films without it's prequel: "The Hobbit" but in an interview he reflected that he wished he went that route instead.

Still The Hobbit contains much "background" info that is pertinent to the Ring trilogy and thus would help continunity. IMO We prolly should create two polls. Seeing how many are indeed interested in doing a dissection anyway and in what order should it be done.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”