Children of Hurin

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Christopher didn't write any of this...it's edited material from his father's papers.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

burgs wrote:Christopher didn't write any of this...it's edited material from his father's papers.
'edited' by who?
B&
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Christopher. Just as with The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the 12-volume History of Middle-earth series.

It's always been my understanding that Christopher Tolkien has served as a curator, of sorts, of his father's papers and has organized them into publishable, mostly scholarly works. Certainly there was never an attempt on his part to take his father's notes and extrapolate what's in them to narrative form.

VERY different than the Dune scenario, and I agree with you on that point.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

burgs wrote:Christopher. Just as with The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the 12-volume History of Middle-earth series.

It's always been my understanding that Christopher Tolkien has served as a curator, of sorts, of his father's papers and has organized them into publishable, mostly scholarly works. Certainly there was never an attempt on his part to take his father's notes and extrapolate what's in them to narrative form.

VERY different than the Dune scenario, and I agree with you on that point.
Exactly. He's been painstakingly collecting, organizing, dating his father's often incomprehensible drafts and notes and everything (If anybody ever has seen a photocopy of a Tolkien draft would appreciate the scope of work) and has been trying to put them into a publishable shape.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”