Question about Roger's age

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Rocksister
Giantfriend

Question about Roger's age

Post by Rocksister »

I'm a bit confused. I have skimmed through some of the ROTE posts, but cannot possibly read all of them, and a search brings up thousands of hits that I also don't have time to read all of. So, here's my confusion; in the discussion where TC is explaining to Linden about Joan taking Roger and leaving, he says "seven years ago." So that means at the time of the telling, Roger is seven, or possibly eight ("my infant son," so he couldn't be more than one or two when they left TC). And ten years passes, then Roger shows up at Brenford Memorial as a 21-year-old to take his mother away. How does 7 (or even 8 or 9) + 10 = 21????? Did I miss something somewhere? I'm not being nitpicky, but this just jumped out at me. None of their times in the Land are more than a few hours in the "real world," so that can't account for the missing 3 or 4 years of Roger's age. I'm sure I had to miss something somewhere.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In TWL, Berenford says
In [u]The Wounded Land[/u], chapter two wrote:"Eleven years ago, Thomas Covenant was a writer with one bestseller, a lovely wife named Joan, and an infant son, Roger."
11 + 10 = 21.

I cannot find a reference to "seven years" in TWL as you suggest. TC says
"Joan divorced me when we found out I had leprosy. Eleven years ago. Took Roger and went back to her family."
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

That jibes with my recollection as well.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Well, darn it. I am reading these books right NOW and I would have SWORN it said seven years. Am I getting Foul's prophecy (seven years, seven times seven years, yada yada yada...) mixed up in all this? I don't see how. That happened as soon as TC hit the watch in LFB. I'm glad I have you guys and ladies to keep me straight. I thought it was complicated enough just to READ the books, much less translate any deep-rooted underlying stuff. Thank you for clearing it up for me. I'll go back after I"m done reading all 7 books again and see where I messed up.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't know how you can get through life thinking that Joan left Thomas only seven years before Linden showed up! :D
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, I think you just misread it, or got confused.

It couldn't have been 7 years before TWL, since the first trilogy was 10 years before TWL.

Maybe you just confused eleven and seven.

But hey, don't worry, I get confused with these silly books all of the time.-jay
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Roger was very young when TC got Hanson's disease and was treated and in remission.
I don't recall how old he was at that time of LFB. But 20 years has past
from LFB and Runes.(in TC/Linden's time frame) So Roger can be from
20 to 25 years old.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Ur Dead wrote:Roger was very young when TC got Hanson's disease and was treated and in remission.
I don't recall how old he was at that time of LFB. But 20 years has past
from LFB and Runes.(in TC/Linden's time frame) So Roger can be from
20 to 25 years old.
TROTE says that he just turned 21.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Indeed. The very day before he shows up in Linden's office.
“It’s simple,” Roger replied. He seemed to misunderstand her without being aware of it. “I’m twenty-one now. I’m of age. Yesterday I inherited my father’s legacy.
I can't wait till she gets to say "Happy Birthday, A**hole!" :twisted:
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Well now he might be an A**hole but is he really to blame? If not influenced by Lord Foul would he be a normal human? Not the terror of the land?

Your A**hole statement leads to dispite! :)
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I recall reading the 1st chapter back in pdf format ahead of the release. God it was exciting....Roger being all insane and stuff.

ImageImage
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Buckarama wrote:Well now he might be an A**hole but is he really to blame? If not influenced by Lord Foul would he be a normal human? Not the terror of the land?

Your A**hole statement leads to dispite! :)
:)
I was just playing off of the time Linden calls Foul an a**hole.

But you're right, if not influenced by Foul, he might well be normal. Although his whole life has been a bit of a mess (I guess that could be called secondary influence by Foul, too). His feelings about his past could be on a par with Angus'.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

A Gunslinger wrote:I recall reading the 1st chapter back in pdf format ahead of the release. God it was exciting....Roger being all insane and stuff.
I remember that also, wasn't that great? I doubt though that will get to read any of FR before the release. :(
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't WANT to read any of FR before the release!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Wayfriend wrote:I don't WANT to read any of FR before the release!

Why not? What does it matter....especially if we get the 1st chapter again? That is, so long as it is chronilogical?

ImageImage
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I'd like to know something concerning Roger, too. When the kresh attack Linden & company and the Ramen show up to fight them, Anele 'reads' the broken rocks, and tells Linden all sorts of things that happened before her first time in the land, but the rock doesn't 'remember' anything that happened in the land during the last 3500 years because it happened too recently for the stone to remember it. But, when Linden's petitioning the Masters to release Anele, he reads the stone of Revelstone, and Revelstone 'remembers Covenant's son, who is presumably Roger. So, that rasies the question of how long has Roger been in the land?
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I expect the rock notices him--the solid, "living rock" of the Close, as compared to the shattered rock (which is severed from what the rest of the earth knows)--because he is dangerous and powerful: Anele implies that his actions threaten the earth.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”