wurd of the worlds end question

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

Unhomed123, fka Findail, aka Rocky, left a somewhat obstreperous post on the old discussion board that sparked a rather convoluted conversation which wound its way past würds, worms and weirds, a Wounded Moose, gerbils and Michael Flatley (diddly-dee, MG-F) before it got to Valkyries and Richard Gere.

You think I'm making this up? Go see for yourself.

Unhomed123's question, which may never have been answered, was:
...I have a question about the whole wurd of the worlds end thing. how did it come to be? I thought that the worm was the earth, and then it died, and it decomposed and the skin of the worm made up the landscape. that, im pretty sure, is f**k ing wrong. so.... humor me. I read TOT pretty fast, so I didnt read very carefully. plus, I figured it out that it was wrong because at the end of TOT, the worm awoken and, how could the worm awaken when I thought it was dead. anyway, im 12 and Im using youth as an exuse for ignorance so..... deal with it. ...
Last edited by Hearthcoal on Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
danlo
Lord

I dig Nicor!

Post by danlo »

I don't think 2 wurm was ever really dead, so 2 speak, It just ate a bunch of stars and things and then curls in2 a ball and goes in2 an extremely long hibernation period until it breaks the planet it formed when it's awakened or hungry--and does it again... :D Hey Hearth! in my last post in this topic on the old forum do u think maybe I was reffering 2 the wurm as an external vaccuum apparatus???!!! :D :D :D :D :D :twisted: 8) 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Hearthcoal
Lord

Post by Hearthcoal »

Yikes!

You know, this bears looking into. There may be a resemblence between you and the "deranged, obsessed captain" fixated on "the destroyer thing [that] is like this light years-long funnel vaccum."

(Does Freud have a name for this sort of interest?)

Analogy

Post by Guest »

I know the analogy is probably lacking (and in some cases completely breaking down), but I always thought of the wurm somewhat akin to the serpant encircling the Earth from the Norse myths and the oncoming of Ragnarok (the final battle). [Would the part be played by Richard Gere? :) ]
saltheart foamfollower123

hearthcoal

Post by saltheart foamfollower123 »

im unhomed123, rocky, now im saltheart foamfollower123

hearthcoal, that first message,whats up withthat? were you like insulting me?you said big words that i dont understand ( im used to that because srd uses big words also)but i dont under stand that....i dont get you... i thought only nice people were on kevins watch... wat was the ACTUAL meaning of the post you did? to embarras me? :cry:
maybe im mis judging you hearth coal but if i am please tell me. if i am im sorry
:) :D :lol:
Bannor
Giantfriend

Anonymous Post

Post by Bannor »

The post above in blue was from me. Don't know why I ranked an anonymous! :) Saltheart, I know that the post after mine wasn't to me, but I thought I'd share something that I do. I keep a dictionary right by my computer to handle words like "obstreperous" (which when I looked up the aforementioned word, the dictionary gave me the definition-- "unruly").
My favorite all-time sentence (for dictionary drill) is:
"They were featureless and telic, like lambent gangrene."
I believe SD once said that he felt like he owed something to vocabulary to not let it die from not being used. Even though I have to crank out the dictionary (and I'm a teacher), I really enjoy learning new words--as long as they don't come too many and too quickly together in one sentence.
{You are a cool guy, portraying one of the coolest characters ever, Saltheart Foamfollower!} :)
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
Hearthcoal
Lord

To Saltheart Foamfollower123

Post by Hearthcoal »

Look, Kid, a guy who "shouts" in his post, throws around the F-word and ends his message with "...deal with it! :evil: " shouldn't be insulted when he is described as "somewhat obstreperous."

The remainder of my earlier post described what others wrote about in response to your original message. I was only commenting on the twists and turns our discussions take. We start off in one direction, then we carom off each other and into different a direction all together.

Who could predict that a question about the Worm and the World's End would lead to comments about gerbils and Richard Gere? (Don't ask...if you're really 12, you're too young to know.)

The Worm is a relatively popular topic that has been discussed before, and I thought it ought to be "imported" over here to the new board.

I like you, Kid, so I am going to share the March Hare's very good advice to Alice. ( A Mad Tea Party )
Say what you mean.
I make every effort to do that (though I will not claim to always be successful). With that in mind, SF123, no, my post was not meant to embarass you. But if I ever do decide to insult you, you won't have to ask if I have. :twisted:

BTW - Bannor is absolutely correct about the dictionary. Here are a couple of links to my favorite online dictionaries:

Dictionary.com

Merriam-Webster Online

AskOxford.com
Vain
Nom

To Saltheart Foamfollower123

Post by Vain »

Hearthcoal wrote: But if I ever do decide to insult you, you won't have to ask if I have.
Classic !! I'm still chortling away here :lol:
Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

Hearthcoal, that askoxford.com is one excellent site. I visited it and found myself entering a contest. I've bookmarked the site for future reference.
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”