The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story - Chpt 18

The Gap Into Group Reading

Moderators: Cord Hurn, lucimay

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story - Chpt 18

Post by Cagliostro »

And on this lovely Sunbane day of desert, we conclude The Real Story. How does the final chapter begin? As such:
So the fair maiden was rescued. The swashbuckling pirate bore her away with all her beauty, and her tormentor was left to pay the price of his crimes.
This suggests a fairy tale, which in the heads of those at Mallorys, it more or less ends like one. The bad gets punished, the good guy gets the girl in the end, all heroic-like. Again, Donaldson is setting up roles, but throughout the entire series shifts the players between roles. Throughout this book, Morn is typically the victim, Angus the villain, and Nick the hero. But so much is based on perception.
In Angus’ eyes, which we see through for most of this tale, he seems himself as the victim at times. Part of it is Morn’s beauty, and his inability to be able to cope with it. Nick victimized him by coveting what is “his,” and stealing her away by framing him. Sure, he seems himself as the villain several times, but I do not think he ever quite sees himself as the hero.
Even though it is open to some interpretation, Angus does “rescue the fair maiden” to some degree. I believe Morn would be dead if Angus had not intervened. Obviously the ship was doomed. But even if someone nice did come and rescue her from the ship, Morn would have been wracked with guilt and probably taken her own life. This is a talent Donaldson has of taking something bad and giving it a good effect. As we will see as the story progresses in other books, the zone implants Angus gave Morn also have this effect.
As the events play out in this chapter, Morn does become Angus’ rescuer though. All he gets slapped with is stealing supplies, which, and I never noticed this before, would not have carried any water with the courts once the supply ship from Earth arrived on time. But he was a known criminal that had always snaked his way out of one situation to the next. Finally he is busted with something, and no one is standing up shouting, “Injustice! Retrial!” Funny that he is caught for something he did not do in a life of atrocities.
Nick, on the other hand, is far from a hero. From what we are told in this book, Nick did not have eyes to rescue someone in need. No; he just saw something he coveted that belonged to someone he hated, and took it. The added humiliation and framing of Angus was just the cherry on top, although I might have this the wrong way around. It certainly started as He wants Her, but as it got more personal between Nick and Angus, it became He wants Him to suffer. But Nick definitely sees himself as the hero.
The book ends with Nick having finally taken Morn from Angus, and off to places unknown. Nick looks pretty good, as he was able to get a known criminal busted, and once the supply ship actually does arrive, looks better for his cleverness in the eyes of those at Mallorys. Nobody knows anything about Morn, from those at Mallorys who know nothing about her killing her family or her zone implant and the deal she made with Angus, to the UMCP who would be very interested to know all of that. Angus is in lockup which is supposedly for life, but is alive at least. He does not complain that he has been framed, he does not tell that there is someone on the inside with Nick, and the only thing that gets to him is that his ship is being dismantled. But he let Morn go.
So why did Morn not turn Angus in? Why did she save him? One answer is something that is brought up in the next book which is about Morn’s “little secret” from the UMCP and even Nick, which I’ve always regarded as a little flimsy. Was it that thing you hear about where someone falls for their captors? I don’t really see that. Did she see some humanity in him? I still am not sure. Maybe a reread of the rest of the series will explain it, but I do not think it does. So I guess I am leaving this with a question.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

I won't spoil the rest of the series for you, but Morn's actions are not as vacuous or irrational as they seem.
Kokopelli would be a cool avatar for me.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
- I think that I shall never see,
- A poem as lovely as a tree. (STOP READING poem FOREVER, here! Go look OUTDOORS.)
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Oh, yeah.

I've noticed that replies have steadily dwindled as the chapter numbers progressed, and more importantly, once Fatal Revenant was released. That's only natural. And I think that's the REAL STORY about this Group Read.

Now I'm stuck in the middle of reading the Gap series, beginning Fatal Revenant, and rereading the first book.

Well, I'm off to join the rest of you reading SRD's latest.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
- A poem as lovely as a tree. (STOP READING poem FOREVER, here! Go look OUTDOORS.)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Confused - I guess I missed this, but what was the deal that Morn made with Angus?
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

I think it was that if Angus gave her the zone implant control, she wouldn't testify against him, therefore making it possible for him to avoid the death penalty.
Correct me if I'm wrong...
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

not wrong.
Even though it is open to some interpretation, Angus does “rescue the fair maiden” to some degree. I believe Morn would be dead if Angus had not intervened. Obviously the ship was doomed. But even if someone nice did come and rescue her from the ship, Morn would have been wracked with guilt and probably taken her own life.
Cag, I love your summery, and know that all take in a story what their mind's eye sees, but I would give an alternative take on this notion:
Angus only "rescues the fair maiden" on a most superficial level. He does it for no other reason than for selfish reasons. This is evident. However, I would not discount Morn as being so wracked with guilt that she would end her life. Although a possibility, all heroic characters are measured by the choices they make, and I don't think Morn would have been one to take her own life -- and again, it is based on nothing other than feeling on my part, but then again, there are so many "what ifs" in that alternative scenario that it would boggle the mind.

But a lot is explained in the later books, and what a rollercoaster ride it is...

Now Nick, I think, had potential to actually BE the hero-dude, but a cruel set of circumstances prevent this from happening:
1) his ego. Yes, he likely viewed Morn initially as a prize, that his heroic self deserved to have to increase his heroic/swashbuckler status in the galaxy.
2) Although I believe he had the potential to be a 'good guy' and do the right thing, and being with Morn and he seeming capacity to change people, Morn was too damaged by Angus and she viewed Nick as little more than a means to an end herself...

Ah, too much of this cannot be laborated on without spoiling later books...
;)

cheers!
Can't wait for the eventual other book reads.
:)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Actually, I was speaking metaphorically in "saving the fair maiden." I know he didn't do it out of some sense of responsibility or heroism or anything like that. He liked what he saw and took it. Just like Nick did.

But, Morn did try to kill herself on the bridge of Bright Beauty in one of the previous chapters. Yeah, it could have been because she thought it was better than letting Angus continue, but I had always figured there was a lot more to it than that. Still, just a possibility I was throwing out there. But, on a basic level, it is obvious she would have died if he wouldn't have taken her off of Starmaster.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Cagliostro wrote:Actually, I was speaking metaphorically in "saving the fair maiden." I know he didn't do it out of some sense of responsibility or heroism or anything like that. He liked what he saw and took it. Just like Nick did.

But, Morn did try to kill herself on the bridge of Bright Beauty in one of the previous chapters. Yeah, it could have been because she thought it was better than letting Angus continue, but I had always figured there was a lot more to it than that. Still, just a possibility I was throwing out there. But, on a basic level, it is obvious she would have died if he wouldn't have taken her off of Starmaster.
Angus did
save
Morn, but not until after he had blasted away her father when he first came aboard.

And no, I think Nick does not have it in him to be a hero; he just wants to seem like one to other people. I, too, don't want to sneak too much ahead, but I'm more repelled by Nick than Angus.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

frankELF wrote:And no, I think Nick does not have it in him to be a hero; he just wants to seem like one to other people. I, too, don't want to sneak too much ahead, but I'm more repelled by Nick than Angus.
I agree. I actually like Angus, mostly because of later books. I never liked Nick. For me it's easier to identify with Angus and what motivates him. (Can't delve deeper into this without spoilers.)
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:hairs:
<shudder>

;)
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Is there a "we love angus" thread? 'Cause if there isn't, there should be...
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Auleliel wrote:Is there a "we love angus" thread? 'Cause if there isn't, there should be...
Angus for President -
And Lord Foul for Vice-President . . . or should that be President of Vice?

I write music. Maybe I should write a sick We Love Angus song.

I shudder a bit, too, to say I love good ole Anggy.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

yes, there is a "we love ANgus" thread somewhere there...
however, you will not find me on it, other than to bitch ...
;) :lol:

Love him as a character, but not as a human being...
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Usivius wrote:yes, there is a "we love ANgus" thread somewhere there...

Well, I don't think I'd actually even like him if I met him face to face, but he's one of my favorite characters in all of SRD's works. I even like him better as a character than TC. *ducks as watchers everywhere throw stuff at me in consternation*
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Auleliel wrote:
Usivius wrote:yes, there is a "we love ANgus" thread somewhere there...

Well, I don't think I'd actually even like him if I met him face to face, but he's one of my favorite characters in all of SRD's works. I even like him better as a character than TC. *ducks as watchers everywhere throw stuff at me in consternation*
At least Angus doesn't hesitate and whine like TC who it takes a thousand pages or so to make up his mind.

No, to the We Love Angus thread.
How about a We Think Thomas Covenant's a Weasel thread?

Uh oh. Will I be banned for blasphemy? Or maybe subjected to The Landish Inquisition?
Frank :evil: ;)

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

YAY! Great job all!

I'm guessing that after the FR flames die down a dissection of FK will begin. If so... sign me up. Never done a dissect before, but sure enjoyed reading yours.

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Stutty wrote:YAY! Great job all!

I'm guessing that after the FR flames die down a dissection of FK will begin. If so... sign me up. Never done a dissect before, but sure enjoyed reading yours.

stutt
Yep, that seems to be the end. I think my final blasphemous comment about Thomas Covenant killed off any remaining interest - in this chapter at least.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer

Return to “Ancillary Documentation”