Anbody else read The Rag?

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Anbody else read The Rag?

Post by Mortice Root »

So, not too long ago I read "The Armageddon Rag" by GRRM. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, as this book seems to be his least popluar. I think it was pretty good, by no means his best, but not terrible either. For those that don't know, it's the story of the 1980s reunion of a fictional 60s hard rock band whose career ended in tragedy, with some occult overtones.

Some things I liked:

The Nazgul themselves. I think he did a fantastic job describing the music of a late 60's/ early 70's hard rock band. Everything from the description of the album covers to the musicians themsleves was great. And the concert scenes, both the ones when the music is rough, and those when it "flows" were perfect. I really felt as though I knew The Nazgul, and knew their music, even though not a note of it has ever been recorded for real.

I also really liked the "where are they now" type tour (or at least "where are they in the 80s") of the protaganist's college friends. I think GRRM did a great job of showing how different "stereotypical 60s types" would react to what they perceived as the death of their dream for the future. From the one who lives on a commune to the Vietnam protester who came from a military family, I thought this part was really well done.

What I thought was a little weak though, was the horror/occult portion of the book, and that kind of surprised me. Going in, I would have thought that this was the part that he would do best. And at the start, I wasn't disappointed. The beginning was tense, with little clues laid out along the way, that everything was not to be taken at face value. It seemed this aspect grew appropriately throughout the book, and about halfway through, I found myself thinking that this was a great read. But... somewhere near the back third of the book, probably around the concert at Red Rocks, the horror aspect started to take center stage, and for me, the book just started to loose steam.

I'm not sure exactly why. It may be that common element that I've noticed in other horror books: namely that your own imagination is the scariest, and when the author actually describes "the thing" or whatever, it's a bit of a let down. Stephen King mentioned something like this (I think in Danse Macabre) when talking about the difficulty of ending a horror novel. He essentially said (and I'm paraphrasing liberally) that at the end, when the monster is revealed to be a 10-foot cockroach, or whatever, no matter how terrible it is, there's always some part of the audience that is relieved, thinking "well, at least it wasn't a 15-foot cockroach" and that the difficulty comes in finding a way to live up to all the tension that the author created throughout the book.

So that may be why it sort of fell flat at the end for me. Maybe something else. But I do have to say that GRRM certainly did something right, becuase I read it 6 months ago, and am still thinking enough about it to bring it up now.

Just curious to see if anyone else read it, and if so, what did y'all think?

(Oh, and I glanced through the prior posts and did really see a topic on this elsewhere. If there is one, just direct me there and I'll happily shut up :D )
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i looked at it tonight when i picked up Feast for Crows...and Fevre Dream too.

i'll be buying both those i'm sure. :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Yeah, do pick them all up. They are all pretty good reads. Even lesser GRRM stuff has things going for it. Enjoy! :D
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

so i did pick up AR.

meh. it was only okay.

i liked the main character okay. he reminded me of James Crumley's detective, C.W Shugrue, in The Last Good Kiss.

but on the whole, this book did not do for me what SoFI does.

i'll still pick up Fevre Dreams tho. it's Martin, after all. :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Well, Rag is probably the weakest of his novels, IMO. So if you thought it was ok, you should keep reading. I really enjoyed Fevre Dream, so have fun with that one.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Speaking of Martin's non-ASoIaF novels, what is the deal with all of those Wild Cards books? I've read the description of a few, and I can't tell what they are. Are they collections of short stories by multiple authors? Are they freaking comic books? Are they some weird type of game? Seriously, I have no idea what they are. And finally, are they at all worth reading?
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Yeah, Wild Cards is unusual.....

It is a series of (15, I think) "group" novels. Essentially they are collections of short stories written by different authors (some by Martin) that take place in the same world. Martin edits them, and ties them together with intersitial type writings. Then every three or four books, there is one actual "group novel" where the entire book is a novel with multiple authors contributing, as opposed to a short story collection.

I've read the first seven so far. I think they're pretty good, not great. Certainly an interesting premise, and some of the short stories are excellent. It does sometimes feel a little disjointed, which isn't a surprise given the number of authors. I thought the first book was actually the weakest of the bunch, so if you find yourself even mildly interested through the first book, you should keep going.

I think they're pretty easy to find fairly cheap used on amazon.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Still waiting for Hedge Knight, will post here somewhere once its read.

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”