Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 13 Nicolas Flamel

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 13 Nicolas Flamel

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Dumbledore had convinced Harry not to go looking for the Mirror of Erised again, and for the rest of the Christmas holidays the invisibility cloak stayed folded at the bottom of his trunk. Harry wished he could forget what he'd seen in the mirror as easily, but he couldn't. He started having nightmares. Over and over again he dreamed about his parents disappearing in a flash of green light, while a high voice cackled with laughter.
"You see, Dumbledore was right, that mirror could drive you mad," said Ron, when Harry told him about these dreams.
Hermione, who came back the day before term started, took a different view of things. She was torn between the horror at the idea of Harry being out of bed, roaming the school three nights in a row ("If Filch had caught you!"), and disappointment that he hadn't at least found out who Nicolas Flamel was.
Ron showing concern in his way and Hermione showing in her own. But the mystery of Flamel is one that won't rest.
Harry experiencing the first of a life-long series of nightmares which will partly shape him in years to come. Though he was just a baby/toddler he still remembers the event which claimed his parents life.
Meanwhile during their search Woods relentlessly drives the Gryffindor team to continuous practice. Harry seems to be the only one in agreement with the schedule because it means a chance to edge out in front of Slytherin for the first time in years. Anything to rub Malfoy's face in his own arrogance is fine by Harry.
Yet bad news as Woods informs the team that Snape is going to be refereeing the match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. How is that going to be fair? Likewise due to events in the first Quiddich match Harry has good reason to fear more than his team-mates.
His concern isn't alone, as both Hermione and Ron advise him to be nowhere near the match, of course Ron goes for the drastic measure of really breaking a leg.
In the middle of the conversation in falls Neville. Malfoy's token whipping boy. Legs locked together by a new curse his humiliation probably smarting more than his body as he struggles to make his way into the common room.
Hermione and Harry of course show their colors while the rest of the house laughs at Longbottom's misfortune. Hermione with the counter-curse and Harry with words of encouragement and a chocolate frog.
Kind deeds usually don't go unrewarded as the very card that Neville gives to Harry from the frog happens to be Dumbledore which by coincidence (?)
"I found him!" he whispered. "I've found Flamel! I told you I'd read the name somewhere before, I read it on the train coming here -- listen to this: 'Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner Nicolas Flamel'!"
With that Hermione and her wonderful encyclopedic memory rushes out of the common room and returns with a huge book (for light reading she says) before Harry and Ron have time to exchange puzzled looks. Flipping through the pages she finds the answer to the mystery.
The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.
There have been many reports of the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera lover. Mr Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight).
Armed with this new bit of information the trio now discuss the possibilities of having the stone and it's implications. But the Quiddich match looms nearer and Harry is feeling the pressure from Snape who seems to be shadowing him.
Yet on the day of the match Harry's worse fears are relieved when Woods spies Dumbledore in the stands. Snape wouldn't dare try to hurt Harry with Dumbledore around.
Meanwhile in the stands during the match Malfoy continues to show his own colors with a snide commentary that increasingly inflames Ron. Neville tries out his new found courage by repeating "I'm worth 12 of you Malfoy" but without the conviction needed to put the boy down.
Harry makes a reckless move and Malfoy's comment spurs Ron to action and a fight, no a melee ensues with Ron and Neville and Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle in the mix. Hermione is too transfixed on the match to bother.
When it's over Harry achieves a stunning victory, Ron a bloody nose, Neville unconscious and in the hospital wing and Malfoy with a black eye.
En-route back to the broom-shed Harry spies a figure that could only be Snapes moving into the forest.
His own curiosity and suspicion makes him follow, in the air on his beloved broomstick high above the cloaked figure, where it meets yet another mysterious person, Professor Quirrell.
Their conversation is interesting to say the least. Snape trying to bully the nervous professor into revealing the secrets known to him. But it seems that the same owl that nearly frightened Harry off his broom has Snape deciding to "talk more about it later".
Forgoing a party in his honor Harry finds a quiet room (without Peeves), dragging in Ron and Hermione and tells his new friends what he discovered. Finding out that they're right their trepidation grows.

Harry is showing more and more of the bravery noted for Gryffindor students all the time. The reckless dive for the snitch, following a dangerous character like Snapes into the woods and listening in on a threatening conversation. If he were caught who knows what would've happened. Ron and Neville taking on rival students that are bigger than they are likewise show their bravery.
Still, a mystery unfolds as we near the end of the book. But there are still answers needed. The three-headed dog and the other enchantments that must be guarding the Stone.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Very nice, Seafoam!

Nicholas Flamel was my first indication that not only was Jo culling from myths and legends, but that she using real historical references as well. Beorn and I had a blast from that point on researching the various people and places mentioned in the series to supplement our reading. What a great way to introduce a then kindergartener to research!
Stubby Boardman
Servant of the Land

Post by Stubby Boardman »

Great write up Seafoam.

I agree Menolly....she includes so much in the Harry Potter story that you spend hours just looking up different things that are mentioned in it. I am really realizing how far the rabbit hole goes when it comes to the whole HP world.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Welcome to the JKR forum Stubby.
Glad you joined us!
Stubby Boardman
Servant of the Land

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks to seafoam for telling me about this forum
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Stubby Boardman wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks to Seafoam for telling me about this forum
And I told you about this forum from ... where? :lol: PM me if you want to keep it private.

Stubby Boardman
Servant of the Land

Seafoam Understone wrote:

And I told you about this forum from ... where? :lol: PM me if you want to keep it private.
Oh, Martial Talk. This is AceHBK :D
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stubby Boardman wrote:
Seafoam Understone wrote:

Aaahhh...

And Seafoam did the opposite with me. Although I have yet to visit the martial arts forum as I haven't trained in over three years.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Menolly wrote:
Stubby Boardman wrote:
Seafoam Understone wrote:And I told you about this forum from ... where? :lol: PM me if you want to keep it private.
Aaahhh...

And Seafoam did the opposite with me. Although I have yet to visit the martial arts forum as I haven't trained in over three years.
Boy I'm just trying to get the best of both worlds here aren't I? LOL ;)
Welcome Ace!

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”