Anyone else trying to lose weight?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

aliantha wrote:Sorry in advance for the double-post. And apologies if I came off snippy in my last post, Storm.

I used to be a reporter, so it's second nature to me to check stuff out. So after I posted above, I did a quick Google check on the issue of time of day one eats v. weight loss/muscle retention. I did not see anything as specific as what you're recommending, Storm, but admittedly I didn't go very far into it. I did get the sense, however, that this issue (caloric intake v. macro nutrient intake) has been hotly debated in bodybuilding circles for decades. So I'm pretty sure we're not going to resolve it here at the Watch. :)

The bottom line is that nutrition is an evolving science. Thirty years ago, nutritionists recommended counting calories. Twenty-five years ago -- the last time I got serious about weight loss -- we were counting fat grams. More recently, it's been grams of complex carbs. Today I ran across an article from Prevention magazine saying you should include monounsaturated fats in every meal, and eat four small meals throughout the day. The gods alone know what it will be tomorrow. And this is all advice from the *experts*.

I've been at this weight loss thing for easily 30 years now, off and on, and at this point it all just makes me tired: tired of analyzing what I'm buying, tired of counting some new number on the box, tired of keeping track of every bloody mouthful. The thing that really, really appeals to me about the WW Core program is that *I don't have to keep track of anything*. They give me a food list. It's all healthy stuff. I eat from the list 'til I'm full. Done. The only time I have to write anything down is if I stray from the list -- a powerful inducement for me to stick to the list, since I'm so sick of keeping track of what I eat.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant.
Not snippy at all and I understand where you are coming from. If you want to look at data, pubmed is where its at...or google scholar. This issue as well as amount v. type of calories have been debated among the intellectual meatheads (i know this is usually an oxymoron) for a long time...but, when you begin to look at a few factors you begin to see a pattern. First, how your body metabolizes carbohydrates (CHO is the abbreviation from now on)...in diabetics we study this pretty thorough because if one drug company can come up with something that keeps blood sugar more stable than another company, you just made a few billion dollars that year. Non-pharmaceutical CHO metabolism can be impacted by exercise, it can be impacted by glycogen (this is the stored form of glucose in the body), it can also be impacted by what you eat with it, such as a potato by itself or a potato with a steak. Protein and fat metabolism can also be messed around with (i'll save you the science).

You are right though that science constantly changes...fat is good, fat is bad, carbs are ok, carbs are lord foul...for those in fields outside of science it can be irritating to sort through because everyone in nutrition has a soapbox and an agenda. Programs like WW are great because it takes out a lot of the micromanagement that people don't have the time to do.

I am a firm believer in nutrient timing because i've read enough research and put enough of it into practice myself and for those i've helped with their diets to see that it can improve fat to lean body mass ratios. As you said its not an issue that will be "resolved" on the Watch, but i hope people who read the thread will at least look at both sides of the argument and do some digging for themselves...in the US diabetes and obesity are epidemics because people do not take responsibility for their health and wellness. When people get overweight they often get frustrated and quit trying to improve their health because they are confused and not seeing results by so-called experts...people need to educate themselves and use what works for them...even if meatheads like me tell them its wrong.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

F.E.M.A. "Ferocious Educational Medical Aptitude" -Esmer

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Thanks, Storm. I might check out your recommended sites, once I can muster the enthusiasm. I *really* am tired of this whole bloody process. I was thinking about it last night -- it's closer to 40 years that I've been fighting the creeping chubb.
Vain19 wrote:Alright, when I was three my doctors put me on steriods for my asthma, and kept me on them on and off until I was sixteen. As a result, at the age of sixteen I weighed roughly in the area of 400lbs. In the past four years, I've dieted, and done some weight and cardio training and have able to get down to 280lbs, but I'm still trying to loose about 65 more. Unfortunately, I've hit a plateau, where I don't gain any weight, but I'm not shedding any either. Any thoughts?
Welcome to the discussion, Vain19! Ugh, plateaus. The only good advice I've heard about getting off a plateau (not that I've ever been able to do it, mind you :lol: ) is to change up what you're doing: either decrease your food intake or increase your exercise. Which you probably already knew, so I'm sure I'm no help at all....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

The dreaded plateau...first off Vain19, well done on dropping 120lbs up to this point, that's outstanding work. Next, have you been dieting at a consistent basis up to this point? If so, its very possible you may need a diet break, eat at maintenance calories with proper macro ratios to allow your body to readjust. Dieting is very much like the stress response...you are trying to get rid of tissue the body thinks its supposed to be holding on to in case of a famine. There are a multitude of hormones that need to come back to baseline levels if you've been in a calorie deficit for so long. Perhaps by giving me an idea of what your current diet and exercise plan is (you can PM if you aren't comfortable posting)...i can probably point you in the right direction and give some help if you'd like.

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

Lost five pounds this week.
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I lost 20 brain cells this week. Possibly more.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

Cagliostro wrote:I lost 20 brain cells this week. Possibly more.
I bet 10 white gold cents you can afford it.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

bloodguard bob wrote:Lost five pounds this week.
Congratulations! :D

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

bloodguard bob wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:I lost 20 brain cells this week. Possibly more.
I bet 10 white gold cents you can afford it.
I differ to beg.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I think I pretty much blew my diet today. It's so hard when you are in someone else's house and you are not eating your normal food.

Oh, well! Tomorrow is another day.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

MsMary, I try to remember that it's more important how I do all week, overall, than how I did one day. It seems to help me not to get discouraged. :)

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Yeah, I am trying to focus on that and not use one bad day as an excuse to binge.

Thanks for the encouragement!
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

I've been trying to lost weight since I've had my son. I mean, I lost all of my pregnancy weight very quickly, but I was overweight before I got pregnant and now trying to make up for what I should have done.

Right now I'm doing Weight Watchers at home. My sister-in-law gave me everything I need to count the points at home without having to sign up for anything. It's been working! I love that I can eat anything I want, though they obviously encourage you to eat healthy (and I do). The target is to lose 2-3 pounds a week.

It's the basic principle of controlling portions and a low-fat diet. I encourage anyone who can to sign up for Weight Watchers. My old boss lost 30 pounds on it and my sister-in-law dropped her weight very quickly after 2 kids!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Too expensive, and I find it's not really that adaptable if you eat a mostly vegetarian meal.

I am using a weight loss site called Sparkpeople to track my intake and exercise. I have lost a little so far.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Vain19
Stonedownor

Post by Vain19 »

I've been doing the portion control thing mostly, not enough cash flow to go on a real diet. As far as exercise, I do a hour weight training three days out of the week (mon, tues, fri) and try to do cardio for at least a hour six days.
"Old Gregg, legendary fish. Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say it's more of a seventy- thirty split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard."
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

Gonna see if I can't cut out half my starch/sugar intake this week. It's gonna be tough since I bike to work but it may prove effective.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

My goals for this week:

Drink water. No water=bad. Any amount is good.

Belly dance again. No exercise=bad. Any amount is good, also.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

bloodguard bob wrote:Gonna see if I can't cut out half my starch/sugar intake this week. It's gonna be tough since I bike to work but it may prove effective.
Cutting sugar and fat out of my diet has usually helped for me.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

Vain19 wrote:I've been doing the portion control thing mostly, not enough cash flow to go on a real diet. As far as exercise, I do a hour weight training three days out of the week (mon, tues, fri) and try to do cardio for at least a hour six days.
It's very possible that your "metabolism" has just slowed down. My best suggestion is to do a food log for 3 days of what you are eating, and figure out the calories and the macros. From there you can develop a starting point to work with.

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Interesting article that furthers the idea that artificial sweeteners can actually slow weight loss, or even cause weight gain:
www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599 ... ml?cnn=yes
Neat article, but I'm still not giving up my Diet Coke :lol:

Plus, the science took place at Purdue...... Go Boilers!

I'm still skeptical on the how, but I lost almost 3 lbs over the weekend working on re-doing our laundry room in prep for new washer/dryer. I did a double-take at the scales - I have no explanation for it... I don't do home improvement projects well or often, but apparently they make for great exercise!

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:Interesting article that furthers the idea that artificial sweeteners can actually slow weight loss, or even cause weight gain:
www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599 ... ml?cnn=yes
Neat article, but I'm still not giving up my Diet Coke :lol:

Plus, the science took place at Purdue...... Go Boilers!

I'm still skeptical on the how, but I lost almost 3 lbs over the weekend working on re-doing our laundry room in prep for new washer/dryer. I did a double-take at the scales - I have no explanation for it... I don't do home improvement projects well or often, but apparently they make for great exercise!

dw
Interesting article, dw, thanks! (You *do* know that I went to Indiana, right? So you're grateful that I'm talking to you, right? :P :lol: )

The last time I was truly successful at weight loss, I had totally given up soda and was drinking about 64 oz of water every day. I've gone back to drinking it (darn those Coke people and their Diet Coke with Lime!) but I don't drink a lot -- maybe one can a day. But this indicates that the trigger may not be soda, per se, but artificial sweeteners in general. So not only do they create that nasty aftertaste, but they might encourage you to overeat. Terrific.

And yes, life in general can provide many opportunities for exercise! :lol: I'm trying to work it into my day. Today I had to get a signature on a voucher for one of my attorneys -- the signer is on 6 and my attorney is on 11. So I took the stairs.... 8O

BGB: Congrats on your weight loss! You go!

JazFusion: Once you get past the first couple of weeks (and all that water weight loss), Weight Watchers expects that you will lose no more than 2 lbs/week. Anything more than that and you're losing too fast (and more likely to pile it right back on :( ).

MsMary: I checked out SparkPeople this morning. Pretty cool site. Not sure I'll do all their journaling, etc., tho, because of what I'm doing for Weight Watchers.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”