The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story - Chpt 10

The Gap Into Group Reading

Moderators: Cord Hurn, lucimay

Ki
The Gap Into Spam

The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story - Chpt 10

Post by Ki »

The chapter opens with a very interesting realization on the part of Angus and how he feels about Morn:
In an odd way, as long as he kept her alive his survival depended on her: he could be truly safe only if he killed her and disposed of her body. And that option was one he no longer considered. He was as likely to destroy Bright Beauty as to murder Morn.
In previous chapters, I've noticed how the descriptions of Bright Beauty are like a mirror image of Angus himself. And Bright Beauty is the only thing he loves. Now, he considers Morn to be his possession, just like Bright Beauty. And he is willing to take the risk of his own demise in order to keep Morn.

Angus is starting to feel like he has succeeded in breaking Morn.
By degrees, he beat her down until she was like a child toward him: dependent; urgent to please. He taught her that his survival was hers as well; that any peril he met would hit her first, and harder.
IMO, she was not only broken down by Angus, but by herself as well. She can't bear what she has done to her family, her ship and that she betrayed the oath she took when she became a cop. Angus plays on this b/c he knows that this is a way to keep her in line. It is easy for her to believe that she is no better than him b/c she can't forgive herself for what she did.

He feels safe enough with her now to take her to the Com-Mine Station. Even upon questioning by security, Morn protects Angus. B/c she protects him, security has no choice but to let Angus go.

This is where he takes her to Mallorys. This is the first time since the first of the book that we see a different perspective on Morn and Angus' entrance into Mallorys. Now we know the background and how they ended up together and in this place. It is interesting to note that many of Angus' interpretations of what is happening in Mallorys is similar to what many of the patrons are thinking too. Angus knows that they are staring at Morn and that some of them wish they could steal her from him. And Angus' interpretation of the first time that Nick and Morn see one another is similar to what others are thinking too. That Morn could want Nick. And he knows that this is a feeling she could never have for Angus.

It almost makes me feel sorry for Angus, but I don't want to feel sorry for Angus. He has treated Morn in unimaginable ways and he doesn't deserve sympathy. But why do I want to feel sorry for him? Donaldson does an excellent job of walking this very fine line.
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Morn must be singularly low in self-esteem to fall for the crap Angus feeds her. She has betrayed no one and murdered no one. When someone has no control over their actions, their is no responsibility. Morn has to survive in an impossible situation. Her actions are justified by that. She should feel grief-stricken about her family, even some anger that the UMCP's testing is not sufficient to reveal gap sickness in their candidates. Her mission in life might become to fix that situation.
Hey, but she's weak and in a weakened condition from brute Angus. So I guess I should give her a break. Though she's a dunce, she's a beautiful one. Her character flaw must be that she has to be perfect in every way. Mom and Dad thought so.
Kokopelli would be a cool avatar for me.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
- I think that I shall never see,
- A poem as lovely as a tree. (STOP READING poem FOREVER, here! Go look OUTDOORS.)
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

I just started reading TRS today. I am now currently reading chapter ten and I cannot help but pick it apart a little.

Why did Morn not give up Angus while they were being questioned? Stockholm Syndrome?

If he had her zone implant on so that she couldn't talk, wouldn't the authorities recognize this and take her for testing of some sort? They obviously knew something was fishy.

Angus sat through the entire questioning with his hands in his pockets and they didn't notice a thing?

Considering that they were desperate to nail Angus with something, ANYTHING, this seems suspicious to me.

Besides that, interesting story so far. A bit violent, but I am sure Donaldson has some twists and turns up his sleeve. He always does. :)
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Lady Revel wrote:I just started reading TRS today. I am now currently reading chapter ten and I cannot help but pick it apart a little.

Why did Morn not give up Angus while they were being questioned? Stockholm Syndrome?

If he had her zone implant on so that she couldn't talk, wouldn't the authorities recognize this and take her for testing of some sort? They obviously knew something was fishy.

Angus sat through the entire questioning with his hands in his pockets and they didn't notice a thing?

Considering that they were desperate to nail Angus with something, ANYTHING, this seems suspicious to me.

Besides that, interesting story so far. A bit violent, but I am sure Donaldson has some twists and turns up his sleeve. He always does. :)
Morn didn't give up Angus because she was so [undeservedly] ashamed of having gotten Gap sickness and killing her parents and crew thereby.

Angus with hands in pockets? This is a bit farfetched, I agree, but maybe there are rules against searching suspects . . . maybe.
Kokopelli would be a cool avatar for me.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
- I think that I shall never see,
- A poem as lovely as a tree. (STOP READING poem FOREVER, here! Go look OUTDOORS.)
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Lady Revel wrote:I just started reading TRS today. I am now currently reading chapter ten and I cannot help but pick it apart a little.

The shame she feels has become a litany of logic; finding out about the zone implant reveals why Angus did it, which reveals what she did to StarMaster and her family. The pain still doesn't outweigh her guilt, which also tells us that Angus has only hurt her, not beaten her.

She has beaten herself. For some of us, that's unfathomable. Certainly, Morn doesn't realize it herself.
ItisWritten

Return to “Ancillary Documentation”