The Wounded Land, Chapter 4 "You are Mine"

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

danlo wrote:The schedule is always posted in the "Sign up for" topic on the top of this forum-and I try to update the Dissection announcement in the "Announcements" forum from time to time. I also post the schedule on my website and announce it on my homepage. Basically every Wednesday a new chapter, or two comes up...I wish I could do more-but I AM trying to do all I can.
You're doing fine, Danlo. I'm not complaining. It's just that everyone has been eager to post so I wasn't watching for it. I thought some of the techies here might know of an auto-alert system.

I'm impressed at how this group-analysis thing has matured since it started. This is only the fourth time KW has done this. From the way it has changed it seems like a lot longer.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
moleary
Servant of the Land

Post by moleary »

Nice job, Kasten! One of my favorite things about SRD's writing is his psychological creativity and I think you've clarified that talent very well here in this chapter.
:D
Michelle
Cloudberry
Ramen

Post by Cloudberry »

It is interesting to think about different ways to cope with the fact that you are in another world. What would I do if something similar happened to me? The whole concept is so strange. One minute sitting on the bus on my way home and then being on top of Kevin's Watch, just like that. The most plausible explanation is that I fell asleep on the bus and is dreaming.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Hence Covenant's reaction to his first visit to the Land. I would think I was dreaming or had gone insane...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Yes Cloudberry, it's definitely a strange concept. I don't think I even can anticipate my reactions if it would happen to me, because I don't believe it will happen and that it can't happen...but if...

I believe SRD is the only author within the fantasy domain that actually has broached this subject. Guy Gavriel Kay(The Fionavar Tapestry) did this transformation from our world to another but never went beyond that. We have Phillip Pullman(His Dark Materials), Orson Scott Card(Enchantment), Alice in Wonderland and probably others, but none has taken this approach that SRD has...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

He did not want to fight it. He had saved Joan. Saved Joan. That thought iterated through him, consoling him for the unanswerable violence of the wound. For the first time in eleven years, he was at peace with his ex-wife. He had repaid the old debt between them to the limit of his mortality; he had given everything he possessed to make restitution for the blameless crime of his leprosy. Nothing more could be asked of him.
Spoiler
The question immediately comes of -- what of Joan's debt to him, the one that left her so spiritually bankrupt that she became prey for Foul? I think that this will be an issue in the Third Chronicles...
Out of the mist, he remembered Linden Avery.
Hellfire!
She had followed him, even though he had warned her - warned her in spite of the fact that she had obviously been chosen to fulfill some essential role. He had been so torn - She had given an excrutiating twist to his dilemma, had dismayed and infuriated him with her determination to meddle in matters she could not comprehend. And yet she was the first woman he had met in ten years who was not afraid of him.
It is these thoughts of Linden that bring the Wild Magic to life, allowing Covenant to save himself...triggered by the passion of his emotions and need...
Spoiler
and a nice foreshadowing of how important Linden is already becoming to him...
The sun was well up in the heavens. The central glare of its light was familiar, comforting. But it wore a blue corona like a ring of sapphire; and its radiance deepened the rest of the sky to the texture of sendaline.
He squinted at it dumbly, too stunned to move or react...The sun's aura disturbed him in a way he could not define...
Spoiler
our first little glimpse of the Sunbane...
He wanted to put his arms around her, hide her face against his chest to protect her; but he knew he could not do so, could not give her the strength to bear things which once had almost shattered him. She had to achieve her own survival.
Spoiler
...another nice little foreshadowing of how strongly TC will come to feel for this woman...
After a moment, she said, "You've been here before." her anger had turned to pain. "It's your life. Tell me how to understand."
"Face it." he said without hesitation. "Go forward. Find out what happens - what's at stake. What matters to you." He knew from experience that there was no other defense against insanity; the Land's reality and its unreality could not be reconciled. "Give yourself a chance to find out who you are."
"I know who I am." her jaw was stubborn. The lines of her nose seemed more precise rather than fragile; her mouth was severe by habit. "I'm a doctor." But she was facing something she did not know how to grasp. "I don't even have my bag." She scrutinized her hands as if she wondered what they were good for. When she met his gaze, her question was a demand as well as an appeal. "What do you believe?"
"I believe"- he made no effort to muffle his hardness - "that we've got to find some way to stop Foul. That's more important than anything. He's trying to destroy the Land. I'm not going to let him get away with that. that's who I am."
She stared at his affirmation. "Why? What does it have to do with you? If this is a dream it doesn't matter. And if it's - " she had difficulty saying the words. "If it's real, it's not your problem. You can ignore it."
Covenant tasted old rage. "Foul laughs at lepers."
At that, a glare of comprehension touched her eyes. Her scowl said plainly, Nobody has the right to laugh at illness.
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I know this is a bit off the subject, but that last exchange reminds me of one of the songs from one of my favorite plays, Les Miserables, and finding out who and what you are -- who and what matters to you in your life...perhaps such themes run through many works of great literature...
THE ABC CAFE- RED AND BLACK

(The ABC Café, where the students, led by Enjolras, meet to discuss their revolutionary plans)

COMBEFERRE
At Notre Dame the sections are prepared!

FEUILLY
At rue de Bac they're straining at the leash!

COURFEYRAC
Students, workers, everyone
There's a river on the run
Like the flowing of the tide
Paris coming to our side!

ENJORAS
The time is near
So near it's stirring the blood in their veins!
And yet beware
Don't let the wine go to your brains!
For the army we fight is a dangerous foe
With the men and the arms that we never can match
It is easy to sit here and swat 'em like flies
But the national guard will be harder to catch.
We need a sign
To rally the people
To call them to arms
To bring them in line!

(Marius enters)

Marius, you're late.

JOLY
What's wrong today?
You look as if you've seen a ghost.

GRANTAIRE
Some wine and say what's going on!

MARIUS
A ghost you say... a ghost maybe
She was just like a ghost to me
One minute there, and she was gone!

GRANTAIRE
I am agog!
I am aghast!
Is Marius in love at last?
I've never heard him `ooh' and `aah'
You talk of battles to be won
And here he comes like Don Ju-an
It's better than an o-per-a!

ENJOLRAS
It is time for us all
To decide who we are
Do we fight for the right
To a night at the opera now?
Have you asked of yourselves
What's the price you might pay?
Is it simply a game
For rich young boys to play?
The color of the world
Is changing day by day...

Red - the blood of angry men!
Black - the dark of ages past!
Red - a world about to dawn!
Black - the night that ends at last!

MARIUS
Had you been there tonight
You might know how it feels
To be struck to the bone
In a moment of breathless delight!
Had you been there tonight
You might also have known
How the world may be changed
In just one burst of light!
And what was right seems wrong
And what was wrong seems right!

GRANTAIRE
Red...

MARIUS
I feel my soul on fire!

GRANTAIRE
Black...

MARIUS
My world if she's not there!

ALL
Red...

MARIUS
The color of desire!

ALL
Black...

MARIUS
The color of despair!

ENJOLRAS
Marius, you're no longer a child
I do not doubt you mean it well
But now there is a higher call.
Who cares about your lonely soul?
We strive toward a larger goal
Our little lives don't count at all!

ALL
Red - the blood of angry men!
Black - the dark of ages past!
Red - a world about to dawn!
Black - the night that ends at last!

ENJOLRAS
Well, Courfeyrac, do we have all the guns?
Feuilly, Combeferre, our time is running short.
Grantaire, put the bottle down!
Do we have the guns we need?

GRANTAIRE
Give me brandy on my breath
And I'll breathe them all to death!

COURFEYRAC
In St. Antoine they're with us to a man!

COMBEFERRE
In Notre Dame they're tearing up the stones!

FEUILLY
Twenty rifles good as new!

(Gavroche rushes in shouting)

GAVROCHE
Listen!

JOLY
Twenty rounds for every man!

GAVROCHE
Listen to me!

JEAN PROUVAIRE
Double that in Port St. Cloud!

GAVROCHE
Listen everybody!

LESGLES
Seven guns in St. Martin!

GAVROCHE
General Lamarque is dead!

ENJOLRAS
Lamarque is dead.
Lamarque! His death is the hour of fate.
The people's man.
His death is the sign we await!

On his funeral day they will honor his name.
It's a rallying cry that will reach every ear!
In the death of Lamarque we will kindle the flame
They will see that the day of salvation is near!
The time is near!
Let us welcome it gladly with courage and cheer
Let us take to the streets with no doubt in our hearts
But a jubilant shout
They will come one and all
They will come when we call!

ENJOLRAS
It is time for us all
To decide who we are
Do we fight for the right
To a night at the opera now?
Have you asked of yourselves
What's the price you might pay?
Is it simply a game
For rich young boys to play?
The color of the world
Is changing day by day...
ENJOLRAS
Marius, you're no longer a child
I do not doubt you mean it well
But now there is a higher call.
Who cares about your lonely soul?
We strive toward a larger goal
Our little lives don't count at all!
Love as thou wilt.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Duchess, Les Mis is my favorite! We should start a dissection of that! :D
NucSubVeteran
Servant of the Land

Why?

Post by NucSubVeteran »

Why didn't LF just take the ring?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: Why?

Post by dlbpharmd »

NucSubVeteran wrote:Why didn't LF just take the ring?
He can't - it must be freely given.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

damn..foul got greedy...he blew the whole thing right from the beginning, TC clammed up like a bank safe...if lord foul had started out.."hey..how you doin my man? i know this dream is kind of messed up but tell you what...let me get a good look at that ring....never seen something so shiny before in my long life...can i use it for a bit? it will aid me in returning you to your own world. :P

instead he started. ..GROVELER!!! :twisted: :evil: YOU ARE BEING LAID UP FOR DESPAIR BEYOND WHAT YOUR PETTY MORTAL SOUL CAN CONCEIVE..>>GIVE ME THE RING FOOL!!!! :evil: or something close to that, and then he realized his mistake 8O LFB

Return to “2nd Chronicles”