User maps, levels & Mods.

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

aTOMiC
Lord

User maps, levels & Mods.

Post by aTOMiC »

One of the biggest kicks I've ever had, involving gaming, iwas creating my own maps. The most time I've spent was creating a reproduction of my work office layout in Duke Nukem. "Build" was kind of confusing at first but once I got the hang of it, I was able to pretty faithfully create my entire office building with many recognizable details and including the garage area and parking lot. My co-workers and I had a blast running about playing on the network in that enviroment. I also made several other maps including a fairly large star ship map. I've begun learning to edit Quake III maps. There are game engines that are even more realistic to have fun with. I wonder what it would be like running around in Revelstone, blasting my friends in the sacred enclosure or in Mhoram's quarters or sniping from the tower. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Absolutely! I'll do it for ANYTHING. I even like to draw diagrams of old places I've been too, houses and creek-routes etc, that I played in as a kid.

With games, its SO MUCH fun to map them! I was playing Twin Kingdom Valley a few months back, and I drew a map of a maze under the ground as I was trying not to die of thirst in it, and my wife looked at it where it was sticky-taped to a box, and said I was starting to act like the guy in A Beautiful Mind! Hahahaha!

I am OBSESSED with mapping stuff.

Here's a hint, if you're ever writing a scenario, and need a random town map, just draw a quick diagram of a house you know. Then exchange the rooms for just lines (ie: take out the squareness of the paths). Voila! For bigger places, do it with a corporate office.

I have MANY homemade towns, and TWO huge cities street directorised. One is COMPLETE, another still only partway done. This is SO much fun ... for me, anyway!
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Land, It sounds like you are having a ton of fun with mapmaking. The largest environment I've made so far is the Star ship scenerio. It begins aboard the ship then you materialize down to a planet. There are buildings everywhere. Traps. Running the map used to really slow down my machine. I'd be doing a lot more map making but I just don't have the time I used to have. :-(

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Oh I've never made one on a PC ... I just handwrite them :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Yeah, I used to build cities using the Aliens vs Predator 2 engine.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I wanna do that!!!! :(
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

It's not that hard, Landwaster. Just pick up that program and install the level creator. There's a very very handy guide which walks you through creating a big level. Once you get the hang of it you'll be making your own maps in no time.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Do I gotta be buyin' the game? I doubt my computer can handle games, it normally can't.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

This is an old game so it may run on your computer (though, you have to own a graphics accelerator). I'd say you can find some architectural programs that should run on your machine - they may on the net to download or just check out a local store. I'll see what I can find out for you.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I'm biased because I do Land Surveying drafting for a living but Autocad is a great map making bit of software. :-)

CovenantJr
Lord

Re: User maps, levels & Mods.

Post by CovenantJr »

Cromas Tummins wrote:creating a reproduction of my work office layout in Duke Nukem
Sounds amazing! 8)
Cromas Tummins wrote: I wonder what it would be like running around in Revelstone, blasting my friends in the sacred enclosure or in Mhoram's quarters or sniping from the tower. :-)
We could do with that here on the Watch 8)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I would be great. Just making the maps would be fun. To get all the right textures I could pick a 3d multiplayer first person shooter that is based in a similar world. LOTR or something. :-)

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Serious, if anyone did a TCTC multiplay shooter map id play it with you people!
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

heh, you could do a UT mod or something. and have all the new weapons like staff and ... ... ... ... white gold!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

(So this explains y nothing ever gets done! :mrgreen:)
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “PC & Console Games”