Things you keep but dont need.

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Things you keep but dont need.

Post by Mr. Broken »

I have the ticket stub for every concert, and almost every movie Ive ever went to see. They call this stuff collectible, I call it a borderline personality disorder. Why do I need it ? Dont know , I just do.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

For years, I kept phone books. Up until3 or 4 years ago, I had every phone book (yellow and white pages) from everywhere I lived. So yes, in 2004, I still had a 1997-era phone book from Jacksonville, FL and a 1990-era College Park, MD phone book (I was living in Pasadena, MD in 2004).

No more.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I have roughly a years worth of bills for my phone, bank, credit card, etc. I pay all of these online, so the fact is that 90% of these are unopened. 8O I really should have all of the statements discontinued, but I haven't done so. They all go in the same file box, so I know where they are if I should happen to need them. But having said that, I can't see why I would need to know my minutes of use for last November. :roll:

Other than that, I'm not a packrat. I do keep ticket stubs and such, and put them in my informal journal/scrapbook. :D

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I keep old software. Dos programs, games, even old Windows Operating systems. I had install floppies for Windows 3.11 that installed over top of Dos 6.2 back before windows 95. I should chuck every old floppy in the bin but something in the back of my mind keeps saying "Tom, you might need that one day." :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

My roommate and I are in the process of moving, and we are discovering how much extraneous matter there really is here. (She has packrat tendencies.)

I remember a friend once telling me: "Four moves equals a fire." Now I know why. . . every time I move I make myself get rid of crap that is cluttering up my life. :roll:

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Well, under a strict definition of need, the following:

A bracelet which belonged to a dead man, given him by the woman he loved.
A business card from an out of business cybercafe.
My Red Cross Domestic Animal First Responder Certification Card (never expires.)
A miniature frigate cannon.
B&
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I think it might be easier for me to go the other way and list the thinks I keep that I do need. Pretty much everything else is what takes up room in the house or garage.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

emotional leper wrote:Well, under a strict definition of need, the following:

My Red Cross Domestic Animal First Responder Certification Card (never expires.)
This sounds like a interesting story.

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Wyldewode wrote:
emotional leper wrote:Well, under a strict definition of need, the following:

This sounds like a interesting story.
Graverobbing is a fun and profitable business.
B&
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Sure it is. Tell that to Lord Carnarvon! ;)

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Wyldewode wrote:Sure it is. Tell that to Lord Carnarvon! ;)
There's a reason I shave seldom, and never after opening a crypt.
B&
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

It was an insect bite, I believe, that led to his downfall. And by sheer coincidence, Tutankhamen had a matching insect bite in the same location. ;)

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Wyldewode wrote:It was an insect bite, I believe, that led to his downfall. And by sheer coincidence, Tutankhamen had a matching insect bite in the same location. ;)
It was an infected mosquito bite he sliced open while shaving that then led to bacterima.
B&
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Cagliostro wrote:I think it might be easier for me to go the other way and list the thinks I keep that I do need. Pretty much everything else is what takes up room in the house or garage.
I would have to agree with Cag. There's a bunch of stuff just taking up room that I don't necessarily need.
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

JazFusion wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:I think it might be easier for me to go the other way and list the thinks I keep that I do need. Pretty much everything else is what takes up room in the house or garage.
I would have to agree with Cag. There's a bunch of stuff just taking up room that I don't necessarily need.
But you need to be feared, and a man just can't be feared these days without 7 doomsday devices!
B&
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Good god.

Where to start. This could be and ABC game, quite frankly.

Things you keep but don't need....

.... I KEEP thinking I ought to shut up once in a while, but don't really NEED to.

.... I keep 2 Benny Mardones albums (cheese aplenty) but don't need them for anything other than target practive.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I still have a box of things related to my ex. It's in the very top of my closet. I don't know why I haven't tossed that stuff yet. . . prolly because I don't like burning bridges. *shrugs*

Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

I've got lots of junk in the garage (I should really clear it out and keep the car in there), but it does get moved around now and again.

I feel sorry for my dad though, he's still got some of my mums make up in his bathroom, and she died 14 years ago. I just can't bring myself to confront him about it.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I'm a hoarder. Like Caggy and Jaz, it'd be easier for me to list all the things I don't need to keep!
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Things you keep but dont need.

Post by Chrysalis »

Mr. Broken wrote:I have the ticket stub for every concert, and almost every movie Ive ever went to see.
I'm the same with concert ticket stubs. A couple of years back I got rid of the movie tickets.

I am a hoarder or items I really don't need! I am very sentimental so if an item holds a special memory it stays.
Saying that, I do have mini clearouts every so often and get rid of the really old stuff I don't ever use!

I also have a few collections I don't 'need' but I hang on to for no other reason than I like them and they took time to build up.
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”