Tis The Season

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Infelice
Lord

Tis The Season

Post by Infelice »

Wow.... I looked at the calendar and its LESS THAN ONE MONTH TO CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've started the gift lists and hunting for bargains and Im stock piling Christmas goodies eg scorched peanuts, rum balls, making the christmas pudding (traditionally boiled in a cloth) and Christmas cake (heavily laden with alcohol). I make a beautiful little gingerbread cottage for the kids every year and a rocky road Christmas Tree for those with a hankering for chocolate ;) :twisted:

Maybe some of you would like to share some of your Christmas food ideas, menus and recipes..... It would be great to try a few new things from other countries this year. :)
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Hmmm.... I don't know any Yule recipies. Any good ones, anyway.

I like potatos. They're good decorations, if you peel 'em and paint little faces on 'em. My step ma is getting me to make a potato manger thing. :screwy: Weird, en't it?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Im sure you could come up with a festive pie for us :D
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Or a spam tree...?

Pie and Cake
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Well, I'm making a treat tree for the dogs tomorrow. You have no Idea how hard it is to put Gravy Train Dry Dog Food on string.

Other stuff on the treat tree:
Milk Bones
hotdogs
tuna
ham
spam
leftover broccoli
parts of a dead deer

Sounds great, huh?
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Hmmm .... yes it does, especially the parts of a dead deer bit. :(
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Well, it looks like they'll have to find another dead deer, because Roady got the munchies in the middle of the night and the deer carcas in the back yard disappeared. :?
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

This turned out to be rather hard to translate (the baking-words are tricky!) but here we go:

Swedish christmas toffee

Ingredients:
50g (3/4dl) chopped almond
1,5 tablespoons of butter
2 dl sugar
2 dl molasses/treacle (not the darkest one)
1,5dl cream (double cream)

Put all the ingredients except the chopped almonds in a cast iron sauce pan (or a normal sauce pan but then it might take somewhat longer time) and boil and stir for approximately 10-30 mins. Test often if it is possible to form a small ball when some batter is poured in a glas of cold water - if it is possible the batter is ready (ie - it has the right temperature)! Add the almonds, stir, and pour the batter (or divide into lumps when it hardens) into small paper cups. Let it cool down and then - eat!!!

A word of warning: it may stick to your teeth and cause high dentist-bills if you are not careful... But very tasty!!! :mrgreen:
SLATFATF...
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I found a link to a picture (and the recipie in swedish...) if one of these toffees. Observe the size (it is standing on an orange)!

www.guldkorn.com/dynamics/tema_julgodis ... cipeID=496
SLATFATF...
Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ermingard »

Ok folks, another Swedish Christmas recipe :)

Christmas buns with raisins and saffron (Lussekatter)

You need:

50g of fresh yeast (if you use dried yeast approx. 28-30 g)
200g butter
5dl milk
2,5-3dl sugar (ordinary white sugar)
1g of saffron (in Sweden that's 2 packages)
A pinch of salt
3 tablespoons of tepid water
2 eggs
15-16 dl of plain wheat flour
1,5 dl of raisins (save some for decoration)
1 egg for brushing the buns with (just before they go into the oven)

Start off by melting the butter in a saucepan; add the milk and heat to approx. 37 degrees C (a nice lukewarm (finger warm?) temperature.)

If you use dry yeast, heat the liquid to around 40-50 degrees C (or whatever it says on your packet of yeast, just a bit warmer then with fresh yeast, ok?)

Grind the saffron (with a pinch of sugar) in a mortar and add it to the warm milk and butter mix

Crumble the fresh yeast into a big bowl, add sugar, salt and water, stir until the yeast is dissolved. (If you use dried yeast, just mix it in the flour or dissolve it in the lukewarm water)
Pour the warm milk, butter and saffron mix into the bowl and stir. Add the eggs and the raisins
Then add the flour little by little and work it into the fluid until you've got a nice dough (it doesn't matter if it is a little bit too runny and sticky at this stage, just work the flour in vigorously)

Dust the dough surface lightly with flour, cover it with a clean cloth and allow the dough to rise for about an hour.

Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface, knead the dough and if necessary add a bit more flour until the dough behaves nicely.

Divide into approx. 30 equal lumps, roll each lump into a stick about an inch in diameter and shape it like an S (Can't visualise it? ;) see this link for a picture and alternative shapes
www.luciamorning.com/treats2.html )

Place the buns (with quite a lot of space in between them) on a baking tray (You'll actually need two ;)) and cover them with the clean cloth.
Allow the buns to rise to double size, then brush them with a lightly beaten egg and place two raisins in the spirals of the S.

Bake for approx. 7-8 min in a hot oven, 250 degreesC ( 480 degrees F) until golden brown.
Enjoy! Yummmmy! :)

If you don't want to eat all of them on the baking day, freeze the rest as soon as possible, as they tend to dry rather quickly.
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon

Return to “The Galley”