Movie News Discussion

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Movie News Discussion

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

This is absolutely brilliant, Wayfriend! :bwave: Everybody, I'd like to ask you to follow Wayfriend's format when you post news here. It is:

Article/News Brief Title
Source: obviously, where you found it
Date: date of the article
Date Posted: date it was posted to this thread
Link: if available

[edit]Wayfriend: I've decided to try and keep the news seperate from replies discussing the news or discussing the idea of a news thread. The idea is that the News thread is more of a resource item and less of a discussion item.

Movie News: just news

Movie News Discussion: discussion of items in Movie News, or what to do with Movie News
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Well done, Wayfriend! Thanks!
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

John Orloff posted on Kevin's Watch???!!!

Wow. It is nice to know that they are also fans of the books.
The King has one more move.
Grimmand Honninscrave
Woodhelvennin

Post by Grimmand Honninscrave »

Thanks Wayfriend. I will be watching this sight for more info.
Capt'n, There be whales here.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Well crap, guess I can delete my screen play that I've been working on... oh well... was worth a great try...

SIGH
:roll:
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
avial
Stonedownor

Great try?

Post by avial »

Seafoam Understone wrote:Well crap, guess I can delete my screen play that I've been working on... oh well... was worth a great try...

SIGH
:roll:

Wasn't a great try, mate - it was ruddy marvelous - if the film (possible film) runs anything like the fine work you've done it'll be great - I'd send them the damned thing just to show them how it should be done!
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

the gut middle left looks like Arnold Swartzneggar!
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

From today's GI:
Yvan Le Terrible: Hello to you Mr SRD,
firstly, many thanks for the pleasure of reading such a great SF story as the Gap Cycle
I must say that, as a french fan, i Had to earn it the hard way as only 3 books were translated, so I had to switch to original version to have the full story !
Ok that was source of good improvement for my English level, specially in the field of spaceships Alien technology and robotics (fields which are not so commonly used but it was VERY worth it).
Your writing was so "visual" that i Still see the images of that Zero-G fight in the deck of the ship-with the drops of blood spills...(many years after)
I still do not understand the way some music you are listening while reading gets forever connected with complete visions of the books.
I believe there are special momments the reader gets so deeply lost in the his new world and swith to a better perceptive level to get this "print"
maybe our mind is like some E-PROM waiting for the right Flashing light.

Af course, this story would make a very good movie as Mr Orson Wells said to an interview :
Q : What does it takes to make a good movie ?
A : You need 3 things : A good story,... A good story, .. and a good story
Ther Mr Donaldon, There is in the Gap cycle evrything to get a perfect movie !
In the hope to read you
A French Fan
Yvan Le Terrible

As I think I've said before, I believe that both the GAP books and "Mordant's Need" (not to mention some of my novellas) could more easily be made into good movies than anything "Covenant". But the people who own the option on "Lord Foul's Bane" aren't giving up, so who knows what the future will bring?
(08/27/2005)
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

I guess we're getting there with the movie thing. Slowly but surely. Maybe. :roll: I wonder if they painted anything else... or if there were a way we could see those pictures... Hmm, whatever happened to John Orloff??
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I read just today that he is penning a script for something called "10,000 B.C.".
» Teleportation rings, attacking aliens, rampaging lizards, freezing weather and now cavemen?
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

LOL, I guess the man's gotta eat. :)

blood.lord
Servant of the Land

Post by blood.lord »

Is this movie ever going to get recorded?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

How many times are you going to ask this?

The answer is the same as it was last time.

Besides, if the film was definitely given the go-ahead, it'd be all over the site.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

CovenantJr wrote:How many times are you going to ask this?
I'm going to go out on a shaky limb here and say that the answer is 3. My second choice is 2.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

:lol: :lol: blood.lord might yet squeeze in one more. Maybe in Mallory's for a bit of variety?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Wayfriend wrote:I read just today that he is penning a script for something called "10,000 B.C.".
» Teleportation rings, attacking aliens, rampaging lizards, freezing weather and now cavemen?
I guess we know how that turned out. 10,000 BC is coming to theaters in March. You've probably seen the comercials by now. But Orloff is not credited as a writer.
dukehenry
Servant of the Land

Post by dukehenry »

Wayfriend wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:I read just today that he is penning a script for something called "10,000 B.C.".
I guess we know how that turned out. 10,000 BC is coming to theaters in March. You've probably seen the comercials by now. But Orloff is not credited as a writer.
Probably a good thing that he isn't. I have seen two trailers for that movie and it doesn't look "epic."
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Maybe Mr. Orloff was so annoyed and disappointed at not being able to make the Covenant movie that he decided to go and write the worst script he could imagine, just to let it all out. :P
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm hmmm ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
mhoram99
Servant of the Land

Post by mhoram99 »

The GAP series could perhaps be made into a good series of movies, but the sexual violence in the first couple books would be harder to overcome, I think, than the issue with Lord Foul's Bane.

I'm a long time Donaldson reader who has used ideas from his books as inspiration for philosophical work on the will, freedom, responsiblity, good and evil, and more. I'm prepared to help in any way that might be useful in persuading Hollywood houses to consider a Covenant trilogy, and esp. to help overcome the fallacy that this is too similar to the Lord of the Rings. There is a lot to say on the differences, but probably the Earthpower is the largest difference. Every problem I've heard or read about with movie versions of the First Chronicles can be overcome, in my view. Perhaps what we need is a concerted lobby of some senior VPs at various studios. I know some big-name directors have tried, but can they explain the philosophical significance of these works in ways key producers might grasp? Maybe so -- I'm a newbie here. But I want to offer to help.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”