Early bust of ceasar found -- dates to 64 BC

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Early bust of ceasar found -- dates to 64 BC

Post by iQuestor »

PARIS (AP) -- Divers trained in archaeology discovered a marble bust of an aging Caesar in the Rhone River that France's Culture Ministry said Tuesday could be the oldest known.

The life-sized bust showing the Roman ruler with wrinkles and hollows in his face is tentatively dated to 46 B.C.

The life-sized bust showing the Roman ruler with wrinkles and hollows in his face is tentatively dated to 46 B.C. Divers uncovered the Caesar bust and a collection of other finds in the Rhone near the town of Arles -- founded by Caesar.

Among other items in the treasure trove of ancient objects is a 1.8-meter (5.9 foot) marble statue of Neptune, dated to the first decade of the third century after Christ.

Two smaller statues, both in bronze and measuring 70 centimeters (27.5 inches) each also were found, one of them, a satyr with his hands tied behind his back, "doubtless" originated in Hellenic Greece, the ministry said.

"Some (of the discoveries) are unique in Europe," Culture Minister Christine Albanel said. The bust of Caesar is in a class by itself.

"This marble bust of the founder of the Roman city of Arles constitutes the most ancient representation known today of Caesar," the ministry statement said, adding that it "undoubtedly" dates to the creation of Arles in 46 B.C.

Among other things, researchers are trying to uncover "in what context these statues were thrown into the river," said Michel L'Hour, who heads the Department of Subaquatic Archaeological Research, whose divers made the discovery between September and October 2007.

The site "has barely been skimmed," L'Hour told The Associated Press, adding that a new search operation will begin this summer.

He said the Arles region, in the Provence region of southern France, with its Roman beginnings, and the Rhone are "propitious" for discoveries.

Albanel called the find "exceptional" and said that the Caesar bust is "the oldest representation known today" of the emperor.

www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/05/14/cae ... index.html

this is very cool.
Brasidas
Giantfriend

Post by Brasidas »

It's funny how historical perspectives can change. When I was in England, I would often go on walking holidays, twice along the remaining sections of Hadrian's Wall, and once down to Stonehenge.
Now I live in Australia and I'm being asked to believe that a mid-19th Century house qualifies as "historic"!
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Same here in the US. a house thats a 100 years old is a big deal. We dont have any old archtecture. The Mayas and the Aztecs are all we have.
Brasidas
Giantfriend

Post by Brasidas »

Of course there are aboriginal cave paintings and artefacts, but it's shocking how little you here of them. I think the Australia-is-really-england-with-a-suntan mindset is still set really deep.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Hehe, We got the Puritans, Oz got the Convicts, England kept the dandies and unadventurous. I think Oz got the best deal personally, and we got the worst.
Brasidas
Giantfriend

Post by Brasidas »

I always like to annoy my Oz relations when they boast of their convict ancestry by telling them that it was only the really stupid ones who got caught that ended up here...
It's actually very interesting the way views have changed towards the convicts. Probably right up to the middle of the 20th Century the mythos of the Stain was still around (the idea being that Oz was founded by undesirables and the stain was being washed out by copious amounts of blood shed in the Great War); now it's almost fashionable to have a couple of convict skeletons in the closet.
Always on Topic

"If they give you lined paper, write the other way."
Miguel De Unamuno
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

The American Revolution led to the settlement in Australia. The British used to send their convicts here.

I like the joke about the stupid convicts, Brasidias. Reminds me of the one my dad tells to Texans. That there wouldn't have been a Texas if there had been a back door at the Alamo.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Brasidas wrote:I always like to annoy my Oz relations when they boast of their convict ancestry by telling them that it was only the really stupid ones who got caught that ended up here...
It's actually very interesting the way views have changed towards the convicts. Probably right up to the middle of the 20th Century the mythos of the Stain was still around (the idea being that Oz was founded by undesirables and the stain was being washed out by copious amounts of blood shed in the Great War); now it's almost fashionable to have a couple of convict skeletons in the closet.
Actually . . . it was the best of the best (in terms of physical health, and general usefulness) which were sent to Aust. Convicts were selected on the basis of likelihood to survive the journey, and the harsh rigours of a hellish environment; as well as selected if they were considered useful for the new colony.

Funnily enough, Australia is, per capita, the most law abiding country on earth (the Kelly Gang would be turning in their graves). I personally think that's because of the convict past, not in spite of it. Australia is a depressingly conservative place, at times . . . :)
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Damelon wrote:The American Revolution led to the settlement in Australia. The British used to send their convicts here.

I like the joke about the stupid convicts, Brasidias. Reminds me of the one my dad tells to Texans. That there wouldn't have been a Texas if there had been a back door at the Alamo.
True. I used to take pride in the state of Georgia (where I was born) being started as a penal colony.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Montresor wrote:
Brasidas wrote:I always like to annoy my Oz relations when they boast of their convict ancestry by telling them that it was only the really stupid ones who got caught that ended up here...
Actually . . . it was the best of the best (in terms of physical health, and general usefulness) which were sent to Aust. Convicts were selected on the basis of likelihood to survive the journey, and the harsh rigours of a hellish environment; as well as selected if they were considered useful for the new colony.

Funnily enough, Australia is, per capita, the most law abiding country on earth (the Kelly Gang would be turning in their graves). I personally think that's because of the convict past, not in spite of it. Australia is a depressingly conservative place, at times . . . :)
Ever read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?" Well, the point is a relatively lawless society can be a polite society. If a dispute can lead to a duel, you are going to be a little more careful about how you treat people :)
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Brasidas wrote:It's funny how historical perspectives can change. When I was in England, I would often go on walking holidays, twice along the remaining sections of Hadrian's Wall, and once down to Stonehenge.
Now I live in Australia and I'm being asked to believe that a mid-19th Century house qualifies as "historic"!
What you're used to, isn't special, I suppose. I grew up playing in this park every day, climbing in the ruins of a 6th century monastery....

images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=www.g ... safe%3Doff
(the st brecan one)

Never thought twice about it.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”