Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 3 "The Burrow"

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 3 "The Burrow"

Post by Seafoam Understone »

The sight before Harry's eyes outside his bedroom window is as incredulous to us as it is to him. But it's also delightful to the reader.
Here Harry gets an affirmation that he truly does have real friends for the first time in his life. Not only Ron but upper classmates Fred and George Weasley who while they're up to doing ANY kind of mischief are still willing to risk trouble for a friend of their brother. Besides, how many times do you get to fly a car?
Quietly as possible they break Harry out of his "prison", with the twins resorting to getting Harry's school things using a Muggle b&e technique out of a technicality but one they still find useful none-the-less.
In the rush to get out before they get caught Harry nearly forgets Hedwig and the bird's cries of attention waken Vernon to a rage which is compounded further by seeing that Harry is nearly fixed to escape. An act of final desperation allows Harry to safely get away and Vernon again flat on his face.
Matters of being incommunicado are explained to each other and the Weasleys are aghast that a common house elf was behind it all. Dobby's connection to Harry's nemisis is immediately apparent to them.
A safe arrival at the Burrow and escaping trouble seems almost certain if not for Mrs. Weasley knowing her family all too well. After the resultant storm Harry is fondly welcomed to what will become one of his favorite places on earth. The Burrow. Even for a new wizard and been exposed to the magic of Hogwarts, the place is full of wonder and surprises as all sorts of objects and everyday household items are bewitched to make a Witches life that much easier.
The Burrow is nothing more than a tall shack which immediately identifies the occupants' financial state. Being poor for most of his life Harry isn't put off one bit. He feels at home immediately and for once (outside of school) feels free.
Yet freedom doesn't mean idleness as Mrs Weasley puts Harry to work around the house just as she would if he were her own. Working with Ron he finds out the difference between a Muggle's view of a "magical creature" and the real thing. Gnomes, ugly nasty things which are considered pests along the lines of cockroaches as they usually eventually come back. Even then, Harry finds sport as the boys show him a popular method of getting rid of the blighters.
Enter Arthur Weasley who will become a fan favorite in the books to come.
It's easy to see why immediately. His almost childlike glee over all things Muggle, including the Muggles themselves endears us to him. Even his job at the ministry of magic encourages his love of muggle things.
Finding out the trouble the boys are in, he still can't help himself to see how well his own (illegal) enchantment worked before receiving a warning look from his wife. As she begins to lay into him Ron artfully pulls Harry away and leads him up to his room.
Enroute Harry catches only a glimpse of the only (other) girl in the house, young Ginny before continuing on to Ron's bedroom. Inside it's the average teenager's bedroom; a mess, favorite sports team posters plastering the walls, school books and things scattered throughout and other assorted (enchanted) items.
When Ron is apologetic about the size and state of his room (including it's location -- beneath the family ghoul's sleeping quarters in the house attic) Harry beams at him and expresses his delight...
"This is the best house I've ever been in."
Same here Harry, same here.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

You know, this chapter is another example of how Rowling does a wonderful job of distracting us from the plot with the emotional life of the central character. We are so caught up in Harry's rescue, by his arrival in the Burrow, by the tumult of the Weasely boys trouble with their mother, etc. we forget (to a degree) to remember that something is definitely UP vis-a-vis Dobby.

Along those lines, this is the chapter that convinced me beyond doubt that Ron and Hermione were going to marry someday. You know why? Look at the relationship between Ron's parents! Look at who is no-nonsense, pushy, concerned with rules. Now look to see who is generous, enthusiastic, easy-going and quite funny. Our first lesson in romantic relationships is usually our parents. That certainly was the case with Ron, methinks. He married a girl just like (in some ways) the girl who married his Dad!
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Zahir wrote:You know, this chapter is another example of how Rowling does a wonderful job of distracting us from the plot with the emotional life of the central character. We are so caught up in Harry's rescue, by his arrival in the Burrow, by the tumult of the Weasely boys trouble with their mother, etc. we forget (to a degree) to remember that something is definitely UP vis-a-vis Dobby.

Along those lines, this is the chapter that convinced me beyond doubt that Ron and Hermione were going to marry someday. You know why? Look at the relationship between Ron's parents! Look at who is no-nonsense, pushy, concerned with rules. Now look to see who is generous, enthusiastic, easy-going and quite funny. Our first lesson in romantic relationships is usually our parents. That certainly was the case with Ron, methinks. He married a girl just like (in some ways) the girl who married his Dad!
Considering the practical, no-nonsense demeanor of several dentists I know it's easy to see where Hermione got her practical, no-nonsense attitude. Yet both of her parents were dentists so both of them were of the same mold. Yet very little is told about Hermione's muggle parents. The only information that we're able to gather is that they (both) seemed very open minded about their daughter being born a witch and having magical powers. Much like Harry's mother's family, with the exception of Petunia. Thankfully however prolonged exposure to both Harry and Ron has afforded Hermione to relax around the rules and see the forest for the trees. Though one imagines she's had other influences as well. Ginny for example and other girls at Hogwarts.

Very astute observations Zahir, thanks for pointing that out.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Re: Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 3 "The Burrow"

Post by Cleburne »

Seafoam Understone wrote:. Gnomes, ugly nasty things which are considered pests along the lines of cockroaches as they usually eventually come back. Even then, Harry finds sport as the boys show him a popular method of getting rid of the blighters.
When Ron is apologetic about the size and state of his room (including it's location -- beneath the family ghoul's sleeping quarters in the house attic) Harry beams at him and expresses his delight...
I found it hilarious the bit withthe Gnomes been nasty creatues been a gardener Ive come across a few garden gnomes and picture them come alive is cool.I likes Ron character cause he adds a sense of humour and normality to the proceddings.Along with the Dursleys they add a breath of fresh air and a link to normal life for Harry.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Wow, you made the Hermione and Ron connection early. I suspected at the chess game in the first book but then didn't think it until the dance with Viktor Krum. Harry and Ginny was obvious from this chapter on despite Cho. I have always thought that this chapter was mainly to show how different Harry's life would have been had he grown up with his magical parents. JKR puts one perspective chapter about how much Harry has missed in each of the books. She presents it as normal wizard life but it's purpose is to show how much Harry has to learn that wizards take for granted. It is later used to emphasize the connection of Harry to Voldemort..
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”