Linden's Staff of Law (Spoiler Warning)

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Corwin
Stonedownor

Linden's Staff of Law (Spoiler Warning)

Post by Corwin »

I had posted this in the FR forum, however, the only spoiler info below references Danlo's posting of one of FR's Chapters, the rest of which are spoilers from ROTE. If you don't want to ruin your reading experience with a possible insight to the later workings of the novels, Don't read this, simple enough.

First let me state that i have read the first two chapters of fatal revenant, however, i have been able to restrain myself from any recent spoilers since the early copies of FR have become available. That being said, I have observed 2 interesting trends in Donaldson's writing which many of you may be familiar with.

The first is his tendency to mislead. His narrative style depicts not only the progression of the story in a disembodied perspective, but also from the perspective of the Primary View Point Character (or however SRD phrased that in the GI). This character perspective offers us great insight into the characters thoughts, feelings, soul? but at the same time it misleads. "How so?", you may ask. Often, the characters thoughts on a subject, whether it be another characters motive, an insight into the workings of the universe, whatever the case may be, these thoughts are often just that, thoughts! Opinions of the character, often educated guesses, that are worded in such a way that it gives them the sway of FACTS.
For the sake of time and my laziness in referencing other samples i will stick with the case i am building here and use my primary reference as my only example for the time being. Linden's Staff was created in the end of the second chronicles, at the time of it's forming, donaldson made sure to give detail to the physical representation of the staff as well as its nature. He stated that "the old staff had Runes, this staff did not require runes, blah blah blah" (Can't find my copy of WGW, so excuse the crude reference) Yet it im sure most of you are familiar with this. Now, here is where the plot thickens. In the GI SRD refers to the new staff's lack of runes is Important, and if you have read Danlo's Excerpt from a later chapter in FR from about six months ago,

[MOD EDIT: Spoiler used in Runes Forum for FR related comments]
Spoiler
you know that the being Theomach states that the staff is "Incomplete to me" or something like that. Being that SRD had conceived of his Second and Last chronicles at the same time, i will venture a guess that all of these things are not simply a coincidence, Yes? Those of you who are as obsessive as I am about these things have probably drawn similar conclusions about all of this with the excerpts from FR pretty much sealing the deal.
Now let us turn our attention to the 2nd trend in SRD's writing. His ability to make seemingly insignificant details become hints to his intentions for the direction of different story elements. The chief example being that of Vain. the constant mention of his "Solidity, pure structure without direction or purpose" and later his explanations of the Elohim, both in Findail and in Elemesnedyne (did i spell that right?) "Fluid power, etc". Rough examples, i know, but hopefully you guys get the point I am trying to make; seemingly insignificant things become quite substantial when reflected upon after completing a read of the novels. What am i getting at with all of this? Linden's possible solution to the Staff of Law's Completion.

I have read ROTE 3 times and listened to the Audio version almost a dozen, going over and studying small things that i just couldn't get over for one reason or another. and in the middle of all of this, i stumbled onto something that i hadn't really thought of as significant before that point. HERE i must make mention of one thing, and that is that i have scoured the forums on KW and discovered no mention of what i am about to propose, so if i missed it and someone has already brought it into discussion then.... well shit.

How many of you remember Linden's trudge to the Verge of Wondering after her encountering the Ramen? Her trek through that regions left her with grass stains on her pants. Whoo hoo... big deal right? so why does donaldson keep referring back to these stains? and how many of you remember HOW those stains were described? for the sake of my proposition and the refreshment of memories, i am posting the quotes from ROTE, there were Five distinct references involving her molestation at the hands of the fertile grass at the VoW if my memory serves, yet there are two, possibly three which bare the strongest significance for my purposes.

"In addition, her
trudge across the vale had left a latticework of grass
stains on the legs of her jeans.
The Ramen were able to move without disturbing the lush,
tall grass. The stains which she had acquired in their
company might have been the map of her limitations, or an
augury of her fate."

and

"she could not remove
the grass stains from her pants. They had become part of
the fabric, indelible, and cryptic as runes."

Having listened to the audio book as many times as i have, know that there is a third quote describing the stains as "a script which she could not read or decipher" something like that.

my hypothesis is simply this.... the stains on her pants will be the means for her completing the staff, inscribing the pattern, latticework, or Runes of the Earth onto the new staff, and thus completing it. How will this happen? when? did it happen in FR? i have no clue.

There is one more thing i am amending to this post, and that is a comment on Donaldson's ambiguity or duality in his titles. As i'm sure you can see from above, I have found a new personal meaning for ROTE, as well as some others, but that will be addressed at another time, or perhaps not at all, if my guesses about the course of FR are at least somewhat correct. All i will say is "Find me"
Goodbye and Hello, as always.

...And the Glory of the world becomes less than it was.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Interesting observation.
I didn't pick up on three mentions of the stains, but when ther was a subsequent mention, it did remind me of Covenant's ride through Morinmoss and the staining of his robe, indelibly so.
But there's also the "pattern" inscribed into Revelstone in all the series, patterns so big that a non-Giantish mind cannot grasp them all.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

SGuilfoyle1966 makes a good point. I get the impression that SRD doesn't put a lot of unneeded plot points (I wish Robert Jorden did that) so it probibly is some overarching sort of idea.
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

I feel like we've discussed the stains in one of the other threads, but I can't remember which one. In that other thread, I pointed out that there's some sort of similar staining that happens to Covenant, either to his clothes when he passes through Morinmoss in TIW or to his white robe when he's passing through some forest (maybe Morinmoss again) in PTP.
callback
Woodhelvennin

Post by callback »

sherlock_525 wrote:SGuilfoyle1966 makes a good point. I get the impression that SRD doesn't put a lot of unneeded plot points (I wish Robert Jorden did that) so it probibly is some overarching sort of idea.
I get the idea that SRD is trying to revisit a lot of the ground that he covered in his first two trilogies in order to expand on it and to get it right this time. :o
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

In that way is it like Lister's Shirts from Red Dwarf with all the Curry stains on them?

Anyway I really like the misleading aspects of Donaldson's storytelling.. But there is something I miss from the 1st Chronichles.. I haven't read them for AGES but it seemed that during the Illearth War the narrative would change between stories - some chapters were about Covenant & Elena's trek to gain the Voice of Command, the other was about the trials of the Warward and Troy's plan to fight against Fouls armies.

Another thing - for no apparent reason,I think it was in Runes - Donaldson made some mention of sweat between Linden's breasts... And I am wondering if that's another theme he's going to continue writing on in this last Chronichles...
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

The latest from SRD:
Will: Hi Steve,
It's been a while since I posted any questions, mostly because I can't think of anything insightful that someone hasn't already asked! Maybe I am grasping at straw here, but is there any significance to the grass stains on Linden's jeans? They seem to have been mentioned in passing several times in both Runes and Fatal Revenant.

Gosh, I hope so! Otherwise I've been wasting a lot of words on the d*mn things. <rueful smile>
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

And that is why I like this author so damn much!
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”