The Official Vice President Thread

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hmmm, yet the people (you know, the ones who are supposed to have the power) still elected him. So it sounds like Lieberman did the right thing and his constituents agreed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord

Post by Plissken »

He moved to the Right, and picked up enough Bush supporters (remember when that was possible?) to win, yes. Doesn't mean I have to like him for it.
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Wait a minute, Lieberman was already relatively Right. Regardless, it sounds like both you and LM are more pissed with him that he broke loyalty, and not crediting him for sticking with his principles.

That's exactly why I refuse to align myself with a political party anymore. Parties don't matter, principles do.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Malik,

Lieberman officially broke off from the Democrats in 2006 because that year he lost his own party's nomination. Let's remember that, too.
Yes, that's the point. He didn't leave the party because they were losing. He left during a time when they were regaining their power, and the anger against Bush and the war had reached all time highs.

What principles did he abandon?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Malik,
He didn't leave the party because they were losing.
He only "chose" to formally leave the Democratic Party after he lost the ability to run on their ticket for the United States Senate. This is not a principled stand.
As far as I can tell, aside from his blinding, militant support for Israel and his overriding moralism (video games are bad; Bill Clinton is a bad person for having an affair; Democrats are bad for not supporting the President in a time of war; etc.), he never had any.
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

Vain wrote:Oy Vey !! I'm not sure you guys quite get it yet :) Palin is the absolutely best pick that McCain could possibly have made.

If McCain picked someone bland and safe, he might have filled a school classroom during his campaign stops. The entire ticket would have received less media coverage than Biden gets.

Conservatives would not have been fired up (those that claim to be conservatives but are flip-flopping on voting aren't really conservatives).

If he had picked someone male then a whole bunch of Hillary supporters would not have switched sides to actively campaign and vote for McCain (and don't tell me they're not - they are but the media won't admit to it)

Flip-floppers should just get over themselves and go and vote Mccain if Obama isn't the person they want to see as POTUS.
I feel forced to agree with you partially... I always thought Palin was a brilliant choice on the part of McCain or the GOP, or whoever actually made it. However, I never considered the vajayjays to be interchangeable, as you (and the GOP apparently) seem to think most American women are... and in fact, I know there are many women deeply incensed at the idea they should take up for Palin as a surrogate for Hillary, simply because they are both women. Idealogically, as far as we have been allowed to learn, they are about as different as oil and water, or perhaps oil and solar.
I have said this all along, though - choosing her was brilliant. Evil, but brilliant. :) Go Sith!
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

hehe - Sith indeed :)

But like it or not, millions of Hillary voters will be voting McCain because they want to stick it to Obama just like he stuck it to Hillary

Lieberman would have been an awful choice. Notice how the age of McCain has fallen by the wayside? With Lieberman they would have lampooned two doddering old men. Compare that to a young and charismatic Palin that effectively negates a young and charismatic Obama.

And of course Palin divides people - she separates the wheat from the chaff :) But those that sway her way long enough will stay her way.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

But those that sway her way long enough will stay her way.
Once you go 'hack' you never go back? :mrgreen:
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

hehe :)

Apparently it's the same for black ;)
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Vain wrote:hehe - Sith indeed :)

But like it or not, millions of Hillary voters will be voting McCain because they want to stick it to Obama just like he stuck it to Hillary

Lieberman would have been an awful choice. Notice how the age of McCain has fallen by the wayside? With Lieberman they would have lampooned two doddering old men. Compare that to a young and charismatic Palin that effectively negates a young and charismatic Obama.

And of course Palin divides people - she separates the wheat from the chaff :) But those that sway her way long enough will stay her way.
You're right. Palin is a fantastic choice for the GOP. Once she winnows the Party down to only the most hardcore Conservatives (the "Real Americans"), that energized base will finally control the Grand Old Party. They can run on a platform of "pure" social issues and war - and constantly get 30% of the vote.

It's not enough to actually win anything, mind. But at least all of the "fake" Conservatives will have been winnowed out. They can vote Independent, also lose, and we "fake" Americans can get on with the serious business of actually running the country.
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Malik,
He didn't leave the party because they were losing.
He only "chose" to formally leave the Democratic Party after he lost the ability to run on their ticket for the United States Senate. This is not a principled stand.
As far as I can tell, aside from his blinding, militant support for Israel and his overriding moralism (video games are bad; Bill Clinton is a bad person for having an affair; Democrats are bad for not supporting the President in a time of war; etc.), he never had any.
I'm not sure how you see it as an "unprincipled stand". He recieved little support from the Democratic Party because of his support for the war, and when he lost (by only a little) his parties election, he ran on the independent ticket and managed a win, and still caucus' with the Democrats (which I think he screwed up doing, he should have stuck it to the Dem's for sticking it to him.)
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That's a good point. The DNC hung Lieberman out to dry.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Question: Biden is still on the ticket (I think) in the run for Senate. If Obama loses, and Biden wins the senate seat, he remains a Senator. But what happens if Obama wins the Presidency AND Biden wins his Senate race. Does the runner up take Biden's place?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

The Governor of the Senator's state appoints a successor.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Lord Mhoram wrote:The Governor of the Senator's state appoints a successor.
Whoever they choose? Does it have to be from the same party as would have won?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

balon! wrote:
Lord Mhoram wrote:The Governor of the Senator's state appoints a successor.
Whoever they choose? Does it have to be from the same party as would have won?
I don't think so, but chances are excellent that it will be. Delaware's governor is also a Democrat.

Same issue in Illinois, btw -- the governor there will have to appoint somebody to fill out Obama's term.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

It's completely up to the Governor's discretion.

The Governor if Illinois is also a Democrat.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I'm as happy that Obama got in as I am that Palin didn't.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Some very disturbing news concerning Sarah coming out of Fox. Search for the "Frozen Out" story with the picture of Sarah.

I don't know how much of this is true, but according to anonymous aides to the McCain campaign, Sarah didn't know the countries in NAFTA, couldn't name all the countries in North America, didn't know that Africa was a continent instead of a country, etc., etc. Quite a bit of drama in the campaign staff is detailed, too. Sarah didn't like how she was handled, and wanted to go out and defend herself against the media charges personally, but the McCain campaign kept her under wraps in fear of more embarrassment.

I'm really surprised that these kinds of nasty stories are coming out. I'm even more surprised that Fox News is reporting them. (Well, I'm not really surprised about that--but I can see how others might be.) Clearly, the blame game has begun, and there are people with an ax to grind.

But if this stuff is true, it's pretty bad. I'm not sure how it compares to Biden's gaffes--or Obama's for that matter--but it's sad that the people running for the highest office aren't more . . . Presidential.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I'm really surprised that these kinds of nasty stories are coming out. I'm even more surprised that Fox News is reporting them. (Well, I'm not really surprised about that--but I can see how others might be.) Clearly, the blame game has begun, and there are people with an ax to grind.
Ya, and I'm not completely sure I think it's Palin's fault. I don't think she did any favors among her base but I don't think she really hurt it either. I'm kind of curious if there's anyone on KW who was undecided beforehand but went either way because of Palin being picked as the VP candidate. I should go make a poll about that. I mean someone else should.

Then again, I'm in a pretty blue college that's located in a pretty red county, so I meet mostly folks who were pretty strongly Obama or pretty strongly mccain (folks who are either going to convince themselves to hate Palin or convince themselves to like her). I've certainly met some repub students and liberal townies and just plain not-voting types, but I didn't come across any undecided voters myself (I did canvas in Ohio for Obama in the primaries but not at all in the generals so that might have something to do with it).

Return to “Coercri”