Fatal Revenant, Part 2, Chap. 3 Tales Among Friends

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

dlbpharmd
Lord

Fatal Revenant, Part 2, Chap. 3 Tales Among Friends

Post by dlbpharmd »

When this chapter starts, Linden is reunited with her companions: Liand, Stave, Anele, Mahrtiir, Bhapa and Pahni. Also, Galt and Clyme have entered her rooms as well. They’ve done so because Stave has taught himself how to mute his inner voice, so the Haruchai are no longer able to hear him and thus would not have any idea of the details of Linden’s absence.

One thing that is notable in this exchange is contained in this statement of Linden’s:
But I can’t talk in front of these halfhands.
Her use of the term ‘halfhand’ has the sound of an epithet, and its use is not lost on Clyme:
But is it your belief that we are ‘the halfhand’ of whom the Elohim sought to forewarn the people of the Land?
And Linden says:
No. I know better.
Linden tells the group that she wants to hear what has happened while she has been gone, but before anyone can speak, Anele starts to ramble, then after getting Liand’s orcrest, be temporarily regains his sanity. He tells Linden that there are “others” who speak to him in his dreams, and they are:
Sunder my father and Hollian my mother, whom my weakness has betrayed. And behind them stands Thomas Covenant, who craves only that I assure you of his love.
Anele tells Linden that Sunder and Hollian are now with the Dead of Andelain, and do not want Linden to seek them out there.
The are certain only that doom awaits you in the company of the Dead.
After Anele returns the orcrest to Liand, discussion about his mental status takes place, then Stave reveals to Linden that she was gone for 13 days. During her absence, the ur-viles and Waynhim dispersed and the Ranyhyn went into the mountains. The Demondim attacked Revelstone relentlessly, and many Masters lost their lives in defense of the Keep.

Linden asks Stave and Liand how they came into possession of the orcrest, and Liand tells of the trip to the Aumbrie, and how he selected the orcrest out of all of the wondrous items there. When Linden asks Liand why the Masters did not stop him, Liand says that Branl tried to do so, but
Stave dissuaded him.
To explain further, Stave tells Linden that the Masters are not so sure of themselves any longer, because:
They have not forgotten your words when you argued for their aid. In addition, the ur-Lord Thomas Covenant urged the Voice of the Masters to persuade you from your purpose against the Demondim. Yet it is apparent even to the least tractable of my kinsmen that only your quenching of the Fall, and thus of the Illearth Stone, has enabled Revelstone to withstand the horde.
Afterward, the Unbeliever took you from among us in a manner which encouraged doubt. And when the Unbeliever and your son had removed you, the siege remained. The unremitting attacks of the Demondim demonstrated that the ur-Lord had not accomplished his purpose – or that his purpose was not as he had avowed.
Therefore the Masters have become uncertain. They do not yet question their own service. But they inquire now if they have justly gauged your worth.
To drive home his point against Branl, Stave challenged him to the rhadhamaerl test of truth. Stave said that Liand had already passed the test, because he was holding the orcrest. And Stave offered to do so as well, if Branl would likewise submit himself. But, since the Masters had such high esteem for the test of truth, if Stave passed the test, then the Masters had judged him wrongly, and that would only increase their doubt.

After more discussion, Linden tells the group that she intends to somehow defeat the Demondim, then leave Revelstone and go to Andelain to talk to her Dead. She also wants to find the krill. But Mahrtiir tells her that at least one of her problems has been solved; the siege is over.
…the battle to preserve Revelstone raged furiously, and for many days the eventual defeat of the Masters appeared certain. But the, ere sunset on the day before your return, a long figure in the semblance of a man arrived on the plain. None beheld his approach. He merely appeared, just as your later appeared with the Mahdoubt…..the Demondim turned upon him in rage, and their power was extreme. Yet he defeated them to the last of their numbers. In the space of five score heartbeats, or perhaps ten, all of the Render’s Teeth ceased to exist.
Liand adds:
…to our sight, it appeared that he devoured them.
Comments:

How cool is Stave? He ranks up there with Brinn and Bannor in my book. I love that line - "Stave dissuaded him." Classic!

Doubt is a common theme with SRD in the Chronicles. We know that Loric’s failure to defeat the Viles and his subsequent bargaining with the Demondim caused him to feel great doubt in his abilities, and this was passed on to Kevin. The breaking of the Vow of the Bloodguard had its origins in their obedience to Kevin when he ordered them into the mountains, thereby sparing their lives but allowing him to perform the Ritual of Desecration with Lord Foul. This caused the Bloodguard to doubt the purity of their service. Verement felt doubt because the Ranyhyn didn’t choose him; Trevor felt doubt because he couldn’t love his daughters as much as Loerya did. Pitchwife doubted Covenant’s intentions at the end of WGW. Now we see that the Masters doubt. Could this be the beginning of the end of their Mastery?

Who is this new character that has destroyed the Demondim? Did anyone else feel some disappointment that there was no great battle between Linden and the Viles-spawn?

I’ll add more later, but hopefully this will get us started.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Fatal Revenant, Part 2, Chap. 3 Tales Among Friends

Post by matrixman »

dlbpharmd wrote: Who is this new character that has destroyed the Demondim? Did anyone else feel some disappointment that there was no great battle between Linden and the Viles-spawn?
Actually, when I first read Mahrtiir's description of the stranger, I thought it was the Theomach.

And yes, I for one admit to feeling disappointed, not so much over the lack of a big battle between Linden and the Demondim, but over the sudden demise of the Demondim - so sudden that it almost seemed comical. The appearance of these dark, implacable beings at the end of Runes suggested that they would be major players in the Last Chronicles. But then, almost as an afterthought, SRD has the Demondim wiped out with ridiculous ease. So much for that drama! I felt a little frustrated with Donaldson. I didn't know if I had just witnessed a clever plot twist or a clumsy one, like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon. I'm not sure now what point SRD is trying to make with the Demondim, in terms of their role in the Last Chronicles. I leave it to greater minds here to enlighten me if they're able to.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I was mystified by the sudden dissolution of the Demondim, and who could have done such to them. I wanted to find a way to learn more about them-and, yes mm, felt a little cheated, to some degree. As I stated in the dissection before this in this part of the book
Spoiler
and to a large degree up until the end
I began to feel "magic" payback/karma arising from Kastenessen's guise and now the destruction (?) of the Demondim-somewhere down the line the "inverse" or lessons of these events will be revealed.

I was still thinking of the Theomach on the "vertical" continuum and that if he is immortal (wayfriend :wink: ) he must have at least another power to awe the Elohim. He must, at least, have prescience of all things that jump backwards from Linden's present, or backward period. I mean immortality by itself is too boring. :P If so then that was the extent of his powers-I had no idea who this stranger might be.
Last edited by danlo on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thanks for the kickoff, dlb.

You started off with a point that I noticed as well. "No. I know better." Linden is sure that the halfhand the Elohim warned everyone about was Roger.

Which, in at least one respect, is damn interesting. How could they have known what Kastenessen would do ahead of time?

:!!!: In this chapter, it is repeated several times what was repeated several times in From the Depths earlier. Now she regretted that she had no tears to show her friends how she felt about them. etc. Linden is internally galvanized, fire-hardened, turned to stone. She has no more tears.

The consequences to THOOLAH are indescribable.

But we have to wonder, what has she done to herself? Is she stronger? Or more brittle? Is she inured? Or unfeeling?

:!!!: Anele's sudden sanity, with the help of the orcrest, is utterly amazing, and its just seems wildly important.

We learn that Anele flees from his sanity, "clarity without succor", because of the "harm he has wrought". Losing the Staff, we presume. But have we ever discovered any real harm that resulted from this act? I think we have more to learn.

We learn that Sunder and Hollian are speaking to him in dreams. Warning Linden not to go to Andelain. How do they know she's going to Andelain?

Anele also mentions something that he calls a geas.
"No power of dream or comprehension will shrive me until I have discovered and fulfilled my geas."
A geas is a compulsion or a quest. I think this is the first time that there's any mention of Anele having a mission. A mission which will "shrive" him, free him of his guilt. Penance. Absolution. Exculpation? I see a terrible end for Anele in these words. Will he be a Hamako?

Finally, there is a prescient-sounding warning:
"All who live share the Land's plight. Its cost will be borne by all who live. This you cannot alter. In the attempt, you may achieve only ruin."
Achieve only ruin. Anele warns Linden sharply here: try to spare people, and you'll only make things worse.

This is a lesson that harkens back to the first Chronicles. That people will pay the price when someone tries to save the Land. And it can't be avoided. Hile Troy learned it, and then Covenant learned it.

:!!!: I just love the ambiguity in this passage:
Sunder and Hollian feared intentions which Linden had not revealed, even to the Mandoubt. She had hardly named them to herself.

And behind them stands Thomas Covenant.
Perhaps this means more than it at first appears to mean. Perhaps Donaldson hints that Covenant is behind Linden's intentions. Or perhaps Covenant is behind Sunder and Hollian being aware of those intentions. As if he's the one who could see the future.

:?: Mahrtiir seems to see quite a bit in Linden's Staff.
"Gaze more closely, Cord," growled the Manethrall. "This is alteration, not replacement. Some lorewise being has constrained the Ringthane's Staff, or exalted it."
Constrained. Or exalted. Now that sounds like the essence of Law itself.

But how did a Manethrall become so adept at the nuances of Staff construction lore? Once again, we have a case of a character having knowledge beyond what seems reasonable, perhaps to move the story along.

:!!!: On doubt.
dlbpharmd wrote:Now we see that the Masters doubt. Could this be the beginning of the end of their Mastery?
I agree that this is VERY significant. The Masters are here literally SCARED to learn the truth. That's not a good place to be in.

But what bothers me a bit is that I cannot imagine ANY Haruchai taking such a stance. The Masters are hardly worthy of the name.

:!!!: Regarding the demise of the Demondim. Yes, they have been a non-threat from the very beginning. Very disappointing.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

This is a very interesting chapter. As Dlb points out, doubt seems to be the elephant in the room that is only felt and not seen. There is a " space" now between Linden and her " friends. This emotional space has been created by Linden's obsidian assuredness . Its almost a doubt of Linden, that any of her friends can or will ever ,understand her " geas" and what got her so centered on it.
But there is a fascinating play of contrasts in this chapter that not only reinforces this doubt of Lindens,,but subtlety suggests a correctness of it. There is a contrast between the Master's rising doubt and Liands discovery of the orcrest,,that which feels right to him, after many, even refused, his touch. As Linden put it, " a reason to believe in himself". Its not Linden crowing about Liand or any of her friends believing in Her, that she emphasizes,, but Liand discovering A Reason To Believe In Himself. This perspective is further dealt with in an obtuse way , as mentioned above, in the idea that ,,some of her friends are gonna get hurt and may even die,,but that is the Price of placing oneself as a servant to another's Belief. The " emotional distance" is Linden saying,, I know what I am going to do,,and if you all continue to come along, its your choice, but, my reason to believe in myself is the numero uno for me, so you all may be on your own. The cold air in the room is good metaphor for this emotional distance, The idea that the Individual is the Center,,is at the core of the answer to the great Mystery Question, Who Am I?,,is reinforced in this chapter. The Thought sharing communal group, ie Masters,,is in doubt and Linden and Liand are examples of " no doubt".

As to the Demondim eater...perhaps a wtf,,in regards to the comical dismiss of them in this chapter..but the telling of it as outrageous display..a display of power, theurgy, by one lone character,,suggests to me anyway..this perception of the Self Centered Individual ,,gone too far,,the Ego ,
Spoiler
which is the Harrow to me anyway.
Only a few language antiquities,,roborant, the ubiquitous puissiant..but while we are on language, a great little line that says so much,,and may be the authors view on this almost Hamlet Soliloquy of a chapter: " Any language except deeds would have falsified her to herself.."...In a way,,Linden is giving notice to her friends, in this chapter, that the price of ...To Be or Not To be..is going to fall on them.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Of all the previous chapters, this one will lull you into a quiescence state. But there is so much information revealed about the characters that needs to be told.
Like:
Stave's new found discipline of "quieting his thoughts"
Liand's new found calling.
Linden's and Stave's reluctantance to talk about the Madoubt.
Anele's sanity from holding the stone. (orcrest)
Pahni's love for Liand.
Plus much revealed above makes this chapter a very interesting revelation.
Some nuts and bolts work within this chapter. Most probably is that doubt has become common for all parties involved.( well except for Linden)
"The Madoubt had crossed ten millennia to rescue her. She felt no impulse to doubt herself, or falter." Hardbook -p324 US ed.
The most part that THOOLAH takes in is Linden's unforgiveing nature. But if you read that passage.
"No." Linden silenced him with sudden vehemence. His caring cut her too deeply.
"We don't talk about me" We arn't going to talk about me at all." How could she hope to explain her essential transformation? I can try to answer practical questions. And I know what I have to do. "Within her she holds the devastation of the Earth---" But Lord Foul took my son and gave him to the croyel. That I do not forgive. I do not forgive. p339
This is saying that Linden's will never forgive Lord Foul for his personal affront to her. She will never have the willingness to forgive Lord Foul for anything. Even if it was in Foul's nature to be the evil villian. He has crossed a barrier that Linden will never tolerate.

It was in this chapter that after her tale, they agree on her intentions.
But Stave saids stolidly
"You do not forgive"

Kinda reminds me of a section of TIW after Covenant had after his runin with Trell. Bannor saids to Covenant that the Bloodguard do not forgive.
A connection maybe? Has Linden taken an oath upon herself that is equal to what the Bloodguard did? Is it to protect her sanity because she doesn't want to accept that Jermiah may be lost? Or does she think she can pull the rabbit out of the hat and save her son? Or is there something that will make her accept her son's fate. Like something akin to the breaking of the oath by Bannor?

Another section, abeit small, but alot is revealed.

The Mahdoubt call Linden's intentions fearsome and terrible.
The Viles speak of devastion of the Earth.
and Liand said that She had it within her to preform horrors.
Three groups all saying the same thing about Linden in one way or the other. Yet all three are 100% in supporting Linden unto death. Liand's gives us a little more insight because we know more about him.
Liand's had the ability to preceive that Linden may not be evil in nature. When he touched the ground (in Runes) he felt the evilness of the Sunbane. He has been traveling with Linden for some time and can not feel or hint at any malice intent on her part. She may not be evil in preception to him, but he see's the ability for her to preform such acts.
You can't take one part and disclude the other, so like the others, he warns her of the possibilities. And Linden's keeps remembering that.

A very interesting chapter indeed.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Additionally, I wish I could have done this chapter originally. But health issue interferred.

Most likely I would have exaimed this chapter paragraph by paragrah because so much is in this "Tale"
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

This sort of reminds me of the second half of WGW, where Linden completely doubts Covenant's purpose, and he won't share it with her because he thinks its too terrible for her to understand. Same sort of scenario, only now it's Linden with the intentions that seem on the surface to be so wrong and horrible (I mean, what was worse than giving Foul the ring?)
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ur Dead wrote:Most likely I would have exaimed this chapter paragraph by paragrah because so much is in this "Tale"
I see nothing preventing you from doing so now ... presuming you're feeling better.
Ur Dead wrote:Pahni's love for Liand.
Yes. I see that I've overlooked what is blooming in this chapter.

Given Covenant's earlier prognostications (via Anele) about what will happen to Pahni and Liand, I don't think this love affair is going to be a trivial side-issue to the story. To me, it seems like Sunder and Hollian all over again. Doomed, star-crossed lovers.

Return to “Last Chronicles”