Purgatory - The Overfiend's Notebook

Moderator: Goatkiller666

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Purgatory - The Overfiend's Notebook

Post by [Syl] »

The domain of Gont has been established with the one named Alek set as custodian, rank of Friar. Approximately one thousand souls have gathered to him. Sadly, half of them were dispersed when they failed to conquer their own self-doubt. The other half, however, seem to be surprisingly resilient.

The domain of the citadel, as yet unnamed, has been established. Iblis is named custodian with the rank of Knight. Only a handful of souls, numbering no more than one hundred, have gathered to him. However, several hundred more have approached the citadel's border, either in curiosity or seeking his approval before entering.

One known simply as Nameless has been seen traveling the Road of the Senses just inside The Verge. A Gazer, by the look of things.

Another known as Niggle. After all this... time... I still cannot explain why all gazers come from The Verge. Two shadows trail her, though if these ones manage to persist or not...

The last being of note is Metatron. Hardly the first of his kind I've seen here, though that amulet is interesting. He's shown enough sense to avoid the Mazes, though I'm uncertain he's realized he's only a friar now.

The Choir has resurfaced. I wouldn't put much faith in it finding voices right now, though.
Last edited by [Syl] on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

My prior prediction about the Choir seems to have been incorrect. It has found a Voice quickly. Its songs are... intriguing. Persuasive, yet fractured. Seeking, yet prophetic (if any prophecy here can ever be said to be valid). I wonder if I am the named laughing Fiend. It has been ages, but humor does occasionally find this place.

Gont is doing well under the stewardship of Friar Alek. The region is flush with new flora and fauna and several things in between or of nothing. Despite a steady stream of souls immigrating, the population is increasing only slightly. No response to the Emissaries as of yet.

Iblis', choice confirmed my assessment, elevating him to the rank of Baron. The Handless, named Bekarazu, has joined him and has been given the station of Herald. The Citadel now stands as the capitol of the region known as Gehenna.

Metatron, true to his kind, has saved two souls, both of which follow behind. One of them, however... impermanence is a thing to be cautious of here. Although he has yet to choose, I feel confident enough to grant him the label of priest.

Niggle has become aware of the Road and the Emissaries. She appears to be waiting for some sign. If it were within my power, I'd almost be tempted to give her one.

Nameless continues along the Road. The emissaries follow.

And one named Lazlo Deacon has appeared in The City. On first glance, he appears barely more substantial that the rest of The City's denizens. Proscribing a rank to this one is more difficult than usual, his surname, ironically, the one path I wouldn't place him on. Perhaps the Emissaries will clarify this, though he hasn't noticed their presence yet.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

In a strange confluence, Niggle and Nameless have met upon the Road of the Senses. I believe I was remiss in not naming Nameless a Seeker previously, and I would be doubly so not naming Niggle such now, as she has confirmed my suspicions and chosen the eyeless emissary. By action if not by deed.

There is much strange movement in Gehenna, but we know how normal that actually is, as it only mirrors that throughout this realm.

Metatron has picked up my first marker. Along with his selection of the mouthless (or was it the mouthess's selection of Metatron?), I will name him as High Priest.

Affairs have normalized in the Land of Gont. Alek has also chosen the mouthless. It appears my guesses have been surprisingly accurate. Let's hope I am as successful when I also give him the title of High Priest.

Deacon has ventured into the city. The emissaries follow. There is much weight upon this one. No wonder he finds that part of himself to help him carry it.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Metatron appears to be following his own path, perhaps following in his own footsteps. Regardless, he continues to gather a chain of souls behind him. Will he begin to notice its weight?

The teachings of Alek strengthen the word of Love in Gont. I admit to still being curious how such a thing will work here, how true it can remain to itself.

The Emissaries to Niggle are acting strangely. Of course, their impermanence is the only thing about them that could ever be considered normal. I think I must have fallen asleep. Her interactions with other beings does not make as much sense as it should. Fascinating to watch, though.

My successful streak has ended. In a stunning but amusing turn of events, Nameless has chosen the handless. A second knight has arisen in the ranks of Purgatory. That map he's begun interests me.

While Iblis was pondering the myriad planes beyond this one, a dragon, strangely enough, careened off the highest tower, causing significant damage before flying off. I'm not certain, but I think I heard it laughing.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Recent events are complicated, though I will try to outline them as efficiently as I can.

These figures are converging, inadvertently and... advertently. There are forces in play which are both active and reactive. The one named Nameless has fled his temporary companion, his destination a pool that lies at a point between his previous location and the Citadel of Gehenna. What purpose he hoped to achieve there, however, was cut short as the dragon that had previously careened into Iblis' tower lunges towards Nameless. Showing unusual disregard for his own safety and protecting his map, he strikes out at the dragon. The incongruity of such an act is only exceeded by the fact that the dragon is laid in its tracks, dropping to the ground with a look of incredulity (if one was versed in reading the expressions of dragons) on its face. For this, I must recognize that Nameless is no less than a Baron.

Before the dust has settled, Metatron arrives on scene, his trajectory on an intercept course with that of the now immobile dragon. Soon after comes Bekarazu.

The only one not on scene is Niggle, still recovering from her encounter with the foreign demon. His intrusion has been noticed and his presence now forbidden.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Surprisingly, after that little scuffle, I don't have much to report. So far, all the involved parties just continued on their way.

Despite no one entering Gont, the population seems to have increased by about a quarter. There also appears to be a shadow wandering the edges of Gehenna. Examining the new construction, perhaps?
-George Steiner

Return to “Purgatory”