Fallout 3 Released

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Fallout 3 Released

Post by Rigel »

:) :) :) :) :)

So Monday night, I was at Wal-Mart around 10:30, and I noticed about 5 people standing oustide the local Gamestop. Then it hit me... Fallout 3 was being released! I gave Gamestop a quick call, and sure enough they were doing a midnight release :)

Since there were so few people in line, I figured I'd show up at about 5 to midnight, grab the game (I had it preorderedm, otherwise they didn't have enough copies), and head home to play for an hour before going to bed. Except that, when I got there, I saw a line of about 40 people!

Since they only had one cashier, it took them a while to get to me. As in, half an hour. I've stood outside a theatre waiting for a new movie, but this is the first time I've stood in line for a video game, so it seemed like quite a wait to me.

Of course, I had to occupy my time any way possible. So, I turned to the guy ahead of me in line, and asked (with as much nonchalance as I could muster), "You're here for Mario Kart, right?" :)

Anyway, by the time they got to me, there were another 20 or 30 people in line behind me, so I'm glad I didn't show up any later than I did.

As far as the game itself goes... it's just a whole lot of fun :) I'll post more about it later; right now, I've only played for about 6 hours, so I'm just getting a feel for it.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Got it yesterday. I'm obsessed with it so far and think it's amazing. The VATS system is sweet and rail gun? GENIUS!
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I haven't gotten the Rail Gun yet (da**, there are days I hate having to go to work)... actually, I've been quite frustrated so far at the lack of ammo, but things are looking up. I'm at the point where raiders don't bother me anymore.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

It's out! Great! Will make a bee-line to the store tomorrow after work. I've been waiting for this since it takes place in my home town. ;) Well, that and I love FP shooters.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Rigel wrote:I haven't gotten the Rail Gun yet (da**, there are days I hate having to go to work)... actually, I've been quite frustrated so far at the lack of ammo, but things are looking up. I'm at the point where raiders don't bother me anymore.
Yeah the lack of ammo and caps frustrates me to no end. I find plenty of guns, though.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I think that stressing conservation and *choice* was the right call to make. You can't have everything in this game, you need to pick what you want to be good at, you need to pick the things you want to do, and you need to be prudent about every bullet. Hell, you wouldn't imagine Max from the Road Warrior finding crate after crate of shotgun shells to blast through his enemies with.

I'm enjoying it a lot, I just wish they coulda gotten away with the reckless profanity and humor of the previous games. (A month after my mom made me return Resident Evil 2 for being too gory, my Dad got me Fallout 1 and 2 for Christmas :))
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The Dreaming wrote:I think that stressing conservation and *choice* was the right call to make. You can't have everything in this game, you need to pick what you want to be good at, you need to pick the things you want to do, and you need to be prudent about every bullet. Hell, you wouldn't imagine Max from the Road Warrior finding crate after crate of shotgun shells to blast through his enemies with.
Well said!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer for this, especially since things are so much cheaper now. Here's what I'm looking at after the upgrades:

2 GB Ram (currently have 1.5)
GeForce 8500GT 512MB (only $65.00 on Amazon)
2.8 GHz processor

The only weak spot is the processor, but it does exceed minimum specs. Hmm. This machine has served me well, but I've had it since 2003 and might just save up for a brand new one.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Matthew of Gilead is currently level 13, and is quite the sharpshooter with small guns. He will also cause all your limbs to explode with a headshot (BLOODY MESS!)
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

So I'm at level 17, and almost to the end of the main quest. While I've enjoyed the side quests I've done (and I think I've only done about 1/3 of them), I'm a little disappointed at the length of the main quest.

Still, since I hear that ending the main quest ends the game, I'll have an opportunity to replay it soon. I think, next time, I'll go through playing as evilly as possible (this time, my character is known as a Paragon of Virtue).
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Well, I just finished Fallout 3. What a great game - it surpassed all my expectations. Once I finish NWN2 and Far Cry 2 I'm playing it again - this time I will get Dogmeat as a companion (although Fawkes was amazing).

I received a pleasant surprise to find out that Malcolm McDowell provided President Eden's voice.

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Yeah, I recognized him immediately ;) Still haven't finished it. There was a certain expansion to a popular game released recently that has been occupying a lot of my time.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

The Dreaming wrote:Yeah, I recognized him immediately ;) Still haven't finished it. There was a certain expansion to a popular game released recently that has been occupying a lot of my time.
Is it Gears? I've been so obsessed with it lately. I love being able to be Carmine. I AM IN THE ZONE!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Wha? But Carmine died! I saw him get shot through the neck! That's really cool though, he was my favourite from the first game.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I was referring to Wrath of the Lich King, my Death Knight rawxxors,
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I have to say I only recently got this game on PS3 n one of the best games I have played in years. Layout, missions the Wasteland game is too addictive, wish got this game when it came out.
The other Vaults are scary, especially 106 lol
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Glad to hear that as it is on my shortlist, as it is the right price right now. The wife and kid are going out of town in a couple weeks and leaving me at home to go videogame nuts. So I'll probably pick up Fallout 3 for that time, provided that I finish Brutal Legend by then.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “PC & Console Games”