Dark Hope - Chapter 1 - Pan Town

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Renard held Tanya in his arms as long as he could. But once the determined elf had been roused, and the frescos been revealed, there was no stopping her. She was driven -- and he liked that.
As Tanya and the others viewed the puzzle behind the throne, Renard was drawn to the paintings that Thonunian had directed his attention to. Somehow there was a basic image of all of them. Each person depicted in basic form, holding items they all possessed. Seemingly except himself.

... and there was no Balpur and Arael ...
Thonunian wrote:
"Renard! Did you find anything while down here?!?

...That painting looks like our recent battle, and you seem to be holding the Holy root that this elemental is looking for!"
Renard could only silently shake his head in reply to the noble elven warriors querie.
How was this possible... He had only just made the decision to become an active participant in this deadly mission they were all on, not just be an observer, a chronicler ... and now his image was depicted on the wall with the others ...
Renard's head reeled from the possibilities. And while the others busied themselves, he was barely aware of the movement of the throne as Tanya cracked the code.

...gradually his attention flitted back to them ... then to something else ...
Renard slipped his hand in to his sachel and unwrapped his oblong hand mirror and looked in to it, seemingly checking his appearance...
~ My feet may not know the way, yet my heart be glad for it. ~
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Renard wrote:Renard slipped his hand in to his sachel and unwrapped his oblong hand mirror and looked in to it, seemingly checking his appearance...
As Ahkash moves in front of the hidey hole, Tänya glances up to share a smile of success with Renard and catches him in the act of preening. Grinning to herself, she turns her attention back to what the half-elf is doing.
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Suddenly looking up from his mirror, Renard turns to Tanya.

"Arwenamin, may I ask you to describe what your mentor looks like?"
A short pause before he smiles endearingly. "Please."
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Renard wrote:"Arwenamin, may I ask you to describe what your mentor looks like?"
A short pause before he smiles endearingly. "Please."
Her attention instantly returned to the dilemma the name of the last druid of the Order of the Good Graveris presented her, Tänya wishes to pretend she didn't hear this question, until she had a chance to slip in to trance and...

Well, she didn't have that option. The question was most likely heard by everyone in the chamber, although she assumed Ahkash took no note of it, as he concentrated on the hidey hole inside the throne.

"Heruamin..," she began. "I am exceedingly weary again, and prefer not to call out across this dais. Will you assist me to a quiet corner where we can sit so I can visualize my master in detail and thus describe him to you?

"Perhaps even the raised step from the main floor to the dais is good enough..."
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Seeing her reaction, Renard humbly bows his head. Of course." And proceeds to meet with her in relative private...
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Thonunian walks behind Ahkash and looks in at the items and the container.

[ooc]Thonunian's Detect Magic is still active.[/ooc]
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

From the other side of the chamber, it can be noticed that Renard and Tanya share some words. it is hard to tell what is being said initially, however their tone is weighted with seriousness.
Finally it may be noticed to others in the chamber that suddenly Renard changes. His form seems to shift out of focus for a moment, then reform. Only the person standing with Tanya no longer looks like Renard, but a much older man: a tall man with white hair and long beard, strong of frame and with kindly features.
sales.starcitygames.com/cardscans/MAGBET/ley_druid.jpg

Then he can be heard to say,

"Is this him?"
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

With a gasp, Tänya stares in shock at the bard. Slowly, she reaches out and traces the well known planes and angles of her master's face, though changed through age and many more stresses than she ever imagined he went through.

Looking ever deeper into those wise eyes she stated simply, "I don't understand."
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

A smile is the reply from the older man before Tanya, seemingly absorbing all her expression and vulnerability. Then, realizing that others are watching, the image of the old man melts away, leaving Renard standing there once more.
"My apology for such a brash display," he says to everyone. But then focusing on Tanya he adds, "I did not mean to startle you, but I cannot draw very well and this was the best way to ask you about him.

"I take it that he is your mentor? As I said, it was he who is the one who painted these frescos. So you see we have a bit of a mystery on our hands. For as far as I know I do not carry the 'holy root'."

Looking back over to the others, then back to Tanya, he asks, "May I speak of this in more detail to them? We will need their help as we are all entwined in this."

<Cherished smile>
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Renard wrote:"I take it that he is your mentor? As I said, it was he who is the one who painted these frescos. So you see we have a bit of a mystery on our hands. For as far as I know I do not carry the 'holy root'."

Looking back over to the others, then back to Tanya, he asks, "May I speak of this in more detail to them? We will need their help as we are all entwined in this."

<Cherished smile>
"All right, yes...
Take away the years, and I see my master, Beliant. But...
Beliant is not that old!!
" she wails under her confusion.

"...although, he is human, and I have been apprenticed to him for over a century. Yet..." she again muses to the bard, "...he looks exactly the same as when we met, like a 40 year old human, as if he hasn't aged a day..."

Reaching out, she grasps on to Renard's arm as her exhaustion once again threatens to overcome her. "What could it possibly mean?"
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

The space in front of the hole once more yielded to him, the half-elf carefully checks for traps.
Sly the Fates that Drive Us
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Ahkash wrote:The space in front of the hole once more yielded to him, the half-elf carefully checks for traps.
After peering in at the gems, Thonunian turns to Ahkash.

"So, you are a rouge?" I thought so...
"...Well, be that as it may, when you are done looking for traps, I suggest taking the brown gem to the elemental to see if he knows anything about it, as it is the only one with a magical aura."

With that, he walks away to try to find out more about what just happened to Renard.
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

Ignoring the Elf's comment, Ahkash slowly disables the trap within the small cavity, then reaches in and removes the gems and the book, before examining them carefully.

[Appraise Check please.]
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Seeing the transformed elven warrior approach them, Tänya hastily whispers to the bard, "Yes, all right. Tell the others all we have discussed, as you feel appropriate for them to know. We are all depicted in the fresco, other than Balpur for some mysterious reason. And Arael of course, but he wouldn't be, as he isn't in this chamber with us.

"Speaking of Arael...
I do hope we finish here soon, and are able to retrieve those items inside the throne to see if they offer us any clues. I long to see the daylight, and see how he and his neighbors are progressing on retrieving his armor.
"

Assuming she would be called over to the discussion among others if Renard decides she needs to clarify a point, Tänya once more approaches the elemental. "Yaaraer, if I may again ask again, how long ago as years are counted on Talamh, did the last druid of the Order of the Good Graveris die? And...

"...are you certain what happened to him was death? You said once he died his body disappeared. I assumed you meant some of those who were persecuting his Order found his remains and removed him from this temple, to do who knows what with. But now..."

And she ended her first series of questions in a whisper, "...now I am not so sure..."
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

"female elf, i'm sorry... i can't be precise... many years passed in the darkness of the chamber... but i'm sure it happened at least 300 years ago.
He died after we were called, and i'm sure he died. His body simply vanished... i think Solaris took him in her embrace... but i'm not sure... again."
the elemental says.
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

...at least 300 years ago...

Internally swearing at the weariness that engulfs her and seems to hinder her clarity of thought, Tänya slowly processes this information. "Yaaraer, first. I am known by others as Tänya. It is my honor to share this with you." *bows* "A human named Beliant became my tutor 119 years ago, and once I took the vows of my Order, which is an ancient druidic Order of Solaris, my master. I must have not loved him as much as I thought, because I had never realized before that in all that time, he has not aged nor changed physically.

"I will have questions for him the next time I have a chance to communicate with him, as perhaps he is a descendant of the Beliant you once knew. One thing I have just been told regarding your Beliant, is that there was a magnificent white tiger with him. Do you know if this tiger was the druid's companion? And do you know of a name for the tiger?"
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

"Tanya, i don't know much about druids. I never spoke with Beliant after he died. I was simply called. I don't know if the tiger was his companion. I can say only that when he died and disappeard, the tiger went out the temple ed it never returned here. It name was Beltair. i herd it because Beliant said farewell to it when he died.

"My name is C'tar-melak. Now we can refers to each other with the correct name."
The elemental bows.
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

"I accept the trust knowing your name bestows, C'tar-melak," Tänya replies. "And also for the name of the tiger. Perhaps I may yet learn of it, although it existed many centuries ago...

"Is there anything you can tell us of the Holy Root that may help us search for it? Does it look as it is depicted in the fresco? Is it more grown, less? Were any powers ever discovered and known, after it appeared?

"Or is it simply suspected of being the heart of the Good Graveris, but nothing else about it is known?"
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Renard also approaches the elemental and bows.
"C'tar-melak, I am called Renard. Yes, I would also like to know more about this thing you have referred to as the holy root. You have wonderfully recalled its import, but what can you tell us about what it presently looks like."
Glancing over at a specific portion of the fresco, he adds, "The painting does not give much detail on it -- and apparently a figure bearing a resemblance to me should have it. So I am curious to know more about it."

<smile>

To the rest of the people in the room, Renard quickly explains: "I observed a vision of this chamber, apparently 300 years ago, where I saw an older man -- the one you saw me change in to -- actually painting the frescos we see upon the walls of this chamber. This was the last druid, names Beliant. Apparently, Tanya"--- he looks over at her with compassion ---"has a mentor, a druid, by the same name, but looking like a younger version of this man -- a human who apparently has lived a very long time.
"This was the matter the fair one and I were discussing.

"Balpur, with your wisdom and foresight, do you have any notions concerning this?"

And looking about the room. "Anyone?

..."And where is Arael?..."
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

Pocketing one of the white stones, Ahkash returned to the centre of the hall. He placed four of the stones, and the book, on the floor, then carried the brown gemstone over to the elemental. En route, he gestured for the Druid to examine the book.

Bowing deeply, he addressed the elemental for the first time.

"C'tar-Melak," he said, "I am known as Ahkash. Can you tell us anything about this strange gem?"

Return to “D&D Dark Hope”