Dark Hope - Chapter 1 - Pan Town

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Renard wrote:..."And where is Arael?..."
"Perhaps not "seen" by the one who painted this fresco, heruamin?" Tänya mused. "Or do you mean what is holding him up from meeting us? Perhaps clearing the debris from where his armor was stored is a more difficult task than any of us realised."
Ahkash wrote:He placed four of the stones, and the book, on the floor, then carried the brown gemstone over to the elemental. En route, he gestured for the Druid to examine the book.
Following the gesture, Tänya makes note of the book and gems, and opens her mouth to accuse the shadowy one of not producing all that was in the opened space. But then...
Ahkash wrote:Bowing deeply, he addressed the elemental for the first time.

"C'tar-Melak," he said, "I am known as Ahkash. Can you tell us anything about this strange gem?"
Well, that accounts for five of the six gems I saw, along with the book, she thinks to herself, and it is a smart move to ask the Yaaraer regarding them. But why just the one?

Then, something again clicks in her muddled thoughts...

Watching the elemental turn his eyes upon the brown gem Thonunian said had magic inside as Ahkash presented it to him, Tänya attempted to also draw his attention to the other stones. "C'tar-melak, while this stone may be of the most import, if it does contain power within, could you tell us anything regarding the others as well? Twice now we have been presented with puzzles that contain six words; these words being "ray," "root," "branch," "drown," "rise," and "truth." Do these words mean anything to you? Are they tied to these gems in anyway?"

While waiting for the answer, Tänya attempts to ascertain the different colors of the gems, to see if any should strike her as relating to the words. "This one gem is brown, she says in an undertone to herself. "Perhaps it relates to the word "root."" But then she glances at the fresco, and sees the glowing white root portrayed there. "Then again, maybe not..." she mumbles to herself.
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

Tanya wrote: "Is there anything you can tell us of the Holy Root that may help us search for it? Does it look as it is depicted in the fresco? Is it more grown, less? Were any powers ever discovered and known, after it appeared?

"Or is it simply suspected of being the heart of the Good Graveris, but nothing else about it is known?"
"I only guarded the root. I never interacted with it. The size of the Holy Root has been ever the same since i saw it the first time. The Holy Root appears as a common big root, except that it has a white glow that surround it.
I don't know if the Root has powers... i am sorry, Tanya."

then the elemental looks to Renard
"I think this answer should fit also with your questions, Renard"
Ahkash wrote:"C'tar-Melak," he said, "I am known as Ahkash. Can you tell us anything about this strange gem?"
C'tar-Melak looks to Ahakash
"I never saw it before. I'm only a guard of this place."
He seems to look better at the gem
"Although... i can say that it has a great power that come from the earth element... but it is a raw power... i don't think that it can be used alone..."

the elemental looks then to Tanya, that again asked a question to him.
"I am sorry, Tanya. As I said, i'm only a guardian. They are common gems, i can't see powers in them. About the words... they are common words to me...

"I can't say to you where to begin your quest. But i'm sure that if you are in the fresco, it will be your destiny to find the root."

Balpur looks to Renard
"oh well... what i can say... i know that people sometime could be blessed by the gods for what they did in their name. Someone says that poverty is the path for the immortality, others say that be the most devote servant of a god leads to the eternal life... Personally i never met anyone of them... but could Beliant be one of them?"
Balpur asks with a grin
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

The half-elf shrugged, and thanked the elemental, then turning to the small pile on the floor, added the brown gem to it.

"Well Druid?" He asked, "Has the book told you anything?"

He looked round at the rest of the party..."I have taken my stone already...the others you can divide between you, although I suggest the Druid keep the earth-powerful one."
Sly the Fates that Drive Us
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Tänya looked at Ahkash. "Can you tell us anything about these gems? At least as to the value of each of them? And why should I take the brown gem? Thonunian is obviously more competent with magic, although I admit this being a container of earth power may cause it to respond to my own source of power easier... "

Then looking at Balpur she asks, "My wise friend, you are obviously more informed on some things than I. This gem has earth power, and you warned us to not think we have used the very substance of the earth. Please, can you explain what that is? And is it possible this gem is related to it?"

Turning back to C'tar-melak, she says, "My sincere thanks for all you have told us so far. Please indulge my curiosity just a little longer...

"If you were able to leave this temple, and search out the Holy Root yourself, how would you begin?" Turning away from the elemental she calls back over her shoulder, "I mean not to be rude, C'tar-melak, and am listening to your answer. It is just that Ahkash seems determined for me to look at this book, so if you will excuse me while you consider your reply..." and she walks over to the small pile, leans over to pick up the book, and then gasps, as she gingerly traces the embossed words on the cover that says, "Myths of the Tauren."
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

Tänya wrote:Tänya looked at Ahkash. "Can you tell us anything about these gems?
He shrugged again, something he found himself doing a lot of in the company of these...individuals.

"They're gems. Bits of rock that have been under pressure for millions of years. Diamond, emerald, ruby. As to their value, that probably depends on the purchaser. And I suggested you keep the brown one because Druids have an affinity with nature and the earth. If you don't want it, don't take it. I can't use it, so I don't particularly care who does."

He shook his head in exasperation, and retreated to put the wall at his back once more.
Sly the Fates that Drive Us
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Ahkash wrote:"They're gems. Bits of rock that have been under pressure for millions of years. Diamond, emerald, ruby. As to their value, that probably depends on the purchaser. And I suggested you keep the brown one because Druids have an affinity with nature and the earth. If you don't want it, don't take it. I can't use it, so I don't particularly care who does."
Tänya looked after Ahaksh with exasperation.
"Fine. At least we now know they are diamonds, emeralds, and rubies. My thanks." and she gave a short bow in his direction.

"Thonunian, I must agree with Ahkash, and assume my own affinity for nature will perhaps align me more easily with the earth power in the brown stone. Do you wish to put a stronger claim on it? Or would you prefer one of the emeralds or rubies, since Ahkash took the only diamond?"
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Tänya wrote:"Thonunian, I must agree with Ahkash, and assume my own affinity for nature will perhaps align me more easily with the earth power in the brown stone. Do you wish to put a stronger claim on it? Or would you prefer one of the emeralds or rubies, since Ahkash took the only diamond?"
If I was the only one with magic here, I would have a claim to the brown gem, but I belive you are better suited for it, Druid." Thonunian replies with a short bow. "...And would you mind sharing what is in the book with us?"

He walks over to the gems and looks at them for a few seconds, considering.

[ooc]Appraise check please[/ooc]

He then glances around at everyone else. "There were six gems here originally, so I assume that Ahkash has already taken one. I also assume that the Druid will take the brown gem, but that leaves 4 more. One of those must be for the bard, but that leaves one more for three of us. Someone has to give up their second one.

...Which I assume we will take after everyone has taken one?"
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Balpur looks to Renard
"oh well... what i can say... i know that people sometime could be blessed by the gods for what they did in their name. Someone says that poverty is the path for the immortality, others say that be the most devote servant of a god leads to the eternal life... Personally i never met anyone of them... but could Beliant be one of them?"
Balpur asks with a grin
Renard shrugs in answer, but lends a smile of understanding. Although the goblin spoke in riddles, there was a part of Renard that understood its essence, even if it was not literal, like seeing a wisp of smoke, but not being able to grasp it.
Satisfied with the answers he has received, and knowing that the road ahead was fraught with difficulties, Renard did what he always did in a trying moment.
Sing.
Or, at least in this case, hum to himself, not wishing to interrupt the discussions the others were having.
Tanya’s dogged determination to learn and understand was admirable and was a marvelous asset.
As he watched as Thonunian looked over the gems, he took a moment to observe Ahkash. Again, Renard smiled. But it was a cautious smile, for he knew people like him and hoped the half-human was better than those whom his father had used in various occasions. His skill and courage could not be denied, but…

His attention back to Thonunian, Renard remarks, ”If there should be any left over after you have taken a share, I will have whichever gem is left over. And if you need help finding the most valuable, I can assist if Ahkash will not.”

Then to the group Renard proposes, "It does not look as if these chambers have any further ways out from them, if the checking that has been done was accurate. And unless the tome Tanya now is perusing yeilds any useful information to this end. I am open to suggestions. Do we he back topside to the town and have Tanya examine this book in more detail, along with the magical gem, or does anyone have a means to locate where the holy root may be --- or those villains who stole it?"

(And again Renard begins to wonder about something ...)
~ My feet may not know the way, yet my heart be glad for it. ~
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

[ooc]
i did a mistake when i said the amount and the type of gems to Ahkash.
So to make it clear to all this is the list of the gems found:

1 Diamond
2 Rubies
2 Emeralds
1 big brown gem

sorry guys
[/ooc]
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

Tänya wrote:
Then looking at Balpur she asks, "My wise friend, you are obviously more informed on some things than I. This gem has earth power, and you warned us to not think we have used the very substance of the earth. Please, can you explain what that is? And is it possible this gem is related to it?"
"Of course every thing is related to the very substance of the earth! yes yes! Do you want to know more about it? really? i fear i can't help you! I never saw the very substance... i only know of its existence... but i'm sure your power wasn't the very substance... The elders of my people said that it is a strong powerful sourge... and its knowledge was lost in the centuries... they said only to me "do not think you can use the very substance of the earth!" when i did something special during a trial... that is all... it is a common saying among my tribe!"
Balpur says
Tänya wrote: Turning back to C'tar-melak, she says, "My sincere thanks for all you have told us so far. Please indulge my curiosity just a little longer...

"If you were able to leave this temple, and search out the Holy Root yourself, how would you begin?"
"if i don't know the answer, i would go to someone that could know it"
This is the aswer of Melak.
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Balpur wrote:"Of course every thing is related to the very substance of the earth! yes yes! Do you want to know more about it? really? i fear i can't help you! I never saw the very substance... i only know of its existence... but i'm sure your power wasn't the very substance... The elders of my people said that it is a strong powerful sourge... and its knowledge was lost in the centuries... they said only to me "do not think you can use the very substance of the earth!" when i did something special during a trial... that is all... it is a common saying among my tribe!"
A pleased grin flashes across the druid's face. "Ah! Then it is a proverb of your tribe; you were not implying we were somehow using such powers. As I said before, I know nothing of your culture, and look forward eagerly to hearing of more such sayings and wisdom from you."
Thonunian wrote:"...And would you mind sharing what is in the book with us?"
Tänya glances up from her perusal of the tome. "Anyone of us can read the language of this book, as it is written in the Common. But is is ancient, and appears ruined in many places. It will take time to decipher what little I can.

"It does not appear to bear at all on our current situation though..."
Renard wrote:
Thonunian wrote:"There were six gems here originally, so I assume that Ahkash has already taken one. I also assume that the Druid will take the brown gem, but that leaves 4 more. One of those must be for the bard, but that leaves one more for three of us. Someone has to give up their second one.

”If there should be any left over after you have taken a share, I will have whichever gem is left over. And if you need help finding the most valuable, I can assist if Ahkash will not.”
Tänya regards the transformed elf with puzzlement, "While he is not here with us, surely one of these gems should go to Arael?" Glancing towards Balpur and remembering his refusal to take any of the coins from the cavern above, she continues, "although I am fairly certain our monk here will not take a gem, so there are an even amount for all of us remaining. Six gems, seven in the party counting Arael."

Looking towards Atrus, who has been silent as was his wont, she offered him the option of coming closer to view the gems.

Then thinking further on what the goblin had said as she listens to the elemental's reply...
C'tar-melak wrote:
Balpur wrote:"oh well... what i can say... i know that people sometime could be blessed by the gods for what they did in their name. Someone says that poverty is the path for the immortality, others say that be the most devote servant of a god leads to the eternal life... Personally i never met anyone of them... but could Beliant be one of them?"
"if i don't know the answer, i would go to someone that could know it"
...a deep shiver shakes the insides of the elven maid. Prognostication?, she wonders to herself.
Renard wrote:"It does not look as if these chambers have any further ways out from them, if the checking that has been done was accurate. And unless the tome Tanya now is perusing yeilds any useful information to this end. I am open to suggestions. Do we he back topside to the town and have Tanya examine this book in more detail, along with the magical gem, or does anyone have a means to locate where the holy root may be --- or those villains who stole it?"
Smiling in relief at the suggestion, Tänya gives a cherished smile in the direction of the bard. "Wiser words were not spoken, hodoer," the exhausted druid replies. "I truly long for a meal, a goblet of wine, and some time to look through this book by the hearth of The Wild Boar..."

...as well as take care of some other business... she silently thinks to herself.
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Tänya wrote:
Thonunian wrote:"There were six gems here originally, so I assume that Ahkash has already taken one. I also assume that the Druid will take the brown gem, but that leaves 4 more. One of those must be for the bard, but that leaves one more for three of us. Someone has to give up their second one.

Tänya regards the transformed elf with puzzlement, "While he is not here with us, surely one of these gems should go to Arael?" Glancing towards Balpur and remembering his refusal to take any of the coins from the cavern above, she continues, "although I am fairly certain our monk here will not take a gem, so there are an even amount for all of us remaining. Six gems, seven in the party counting Arael."
Thonunian looks over at Tänya in mild surprise, then his eyes widen as he turns to Atrus. "I assumed that Balpur would not take one, and I am slightly ashamed I forgot about Arael.

...But I have no idea why I forgot you were here, Atrus!"

He then stoops down and picks up one of the rubies, gesturing for Atrus and Renard to take their pick.
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Mimiking the Ahkash shrug, Renard looks over the gems briefly and then picks up an emerald.

"So, what have we decided?"
Last edited by Renard on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Looking at her wondrous golden mare, and glancing back towards the circular staircase she will have to coax Solana back up while keeping the encroaching gray fog at bay, Tänya decides to take her formal leave of the elemental, and begin to make her way back to the sunlight she craves. Whistling softly for Solana to join her, she once again approaches the wood and stone humanoid, and bows low.

"C'tar-melak, I thank you for the information you have shared and the things you have enlightened us on. It is my hope to one day return soon, with the Holy Root to install it in its rightful place.

"In the meantime, aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha. May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown."

Turning slowly, she stumbles in her exhaustion out of the chamber, and slowly, meticulously, begins leading Solana back up the circular staircase.
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

With a chuckle to himself, Renard thinks, Well, I guess that settles it.

Bowing to the elemental, he says, "C'tar-melak, it was a pleasure to be a small part of this, and I do pledge my efforts to restore the holy root to this place as this cause and our initial one are entwined. We now go to confer and set our nect course of action to this end."

Looking at the others, "Gentlemen...?"

Then catching up to Tanya and Solana, Renard slips his arm supportively around the druid's waist and assists her climb up the stairs.
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Smiling wearily at the bard, Tänya once again relies on his support. "You really should have stayed with the others, astalder. I will be all right, and once off these stairs, Solana will ensure my safety. Right now, all I want is to sit on one of the fallen stones above in the sunlight, and slip into trance for just a short time..."
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

Atrus says:
"I'll take a ruby"
then he takes the last red gem

"I don't think we have something more to do here, i'll go to the tavern to get my rest."

He leads out with Tanya and Renard.
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

Tanya, Renard and Atrus reach the old ruins exit.
the sun is high in the sky and it seems that the wether is high.

It seems strange that under this green grass could be a incredible ancient temple of Graveris, maybe the last.

you can hear from the distance, ringing the bell of the church... it is the twelfth. You were in the temple for about 2 hours or more... Arael could need your help (just to remind it).

After a minute, while your eyes adjust to the the level of light, you see a hawk on a tree that is watching in the group direction.

it flys quickly and lands upon the arm of Tanya.
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Thonunian looks down at the last emerald, and shrugs. Arael might need this, and it would certainly be better to take it than leave it here!

He bends down and scoops it up. Then his eyes widen, and he turns to Balpur, holding up the stone. "Are you sure you do not want this, Balpur?"

He looks over at the elemental and Ahkash, "If we have nothing more to do here, I suggest we head out." He gestures towards the door.
Last edited by Thonunian on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

"no,no, thanks good elf! you can take it!"
Balpur says
"ok, i think it is a wise idea to go out now!"

Balpur goes toward the stairs to exit the temple.

Return to “D&D Dark Hope”