Pantheon: The Third Age - Rules and Comments Thread

Moderator: Xar

Bel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bel »

4000th post!

Things are probably only just starting to warm back up in the Game Thread, because of the very long break between the last couple of turns; things are moving again, so people are starting to get interested again. And it looks like there will be plenty to talk about.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Calais wrote:By the way - Pam, you have been awfully quiet lately. Is everything ok?
Thanks for asking, caam.
Everything IRL is fine.
I'm struggling with some decisions regarding playing, and except for a couple of other players and the AllFather, am keeping my thoughts mostly to myself.

*yeah, I know, shocking*
Moxinomal
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Moxinomal »

Menolly wrote:
Calais wrote:By the way - Pam, you have been awfully quiet lately. Is everything ok?
Thanks for asking, caam.
Everything IRL is fine.
I'm struggling with some decisions regarding playing, and except for a couple of other players and the AllFather, am keeping my thoughts mostly to myself.

*yeah, I know, shocking*
I see that you are learning from past mistakes. :P :P
Embracing me is to embrace the true way your mind works. Let yourself not be hindered by the false.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*shakes head*

Not really...
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

yeah ... I hear O-gon-cho doesn't sing anymore ... but does hummmm!! :twisted: ;)
madsage
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by madsage »

Loremaster wrote:
Well, it is a fact that the Eclipse alliance is more powerful than the other courts . . . but, I believe that you are not so vulnerable as you like to appear.
Um, there's a difference between an alliance and a court--but the strength and power-sharing of Eclipse is formidable. Just don't count Sunset out yet.
Bel wrote:I'm in a conundrum. If you had the option of altering your character a little to emphasise a more interesting/fun side of him, but it would require completely rethinking your current and past actions and affiliations, would you take it, or continue with a more mediated approach to avoid overcomplicating things?
The simple, serene option: join Sunset. :-)
-----8<-------------------
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
←↨→
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Brid will be getting involved in the game discussion, just as soon as I can figure out how she's going to say what she means.... :biggrin: I've made too many rules for her for my tired brain to cope with at the moment!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

How tough can it be?? "Zephyr, you are a fool" is working for everybody else. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Dorian wrote:It amused me how Zeph struggled to name something that the void would do to the forests. Would have preferred something more believable though :P
Well, he just thought maybe you guys came up with some weird scheme like a big Oblivion-firing cannon in Coatlic aimed at Shaldir. Or something. *shrug* :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

hmm but yeah but no but WHATEVA!

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You know, I have never liked the way the whole Allfather thing got moved from the meta-game into the game itself. I dislike it when people bring up the Allfather in an in-game context, or especially when they use him as part of their arguments or reasoning, because as far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with what's going on in-game.

Now, I realise that's probably the wrong view since even Xar himself has taken the direction of the Allfather being an element within the game, as shown by the end of the last game, but it's just something I thought took away from the initial idea of playing these deities - acknowledging the concept in-character just serves to deny any of us the right to make any kind of claim to our characters' authority.

Deva in particular demonstrates this point fairly well: in acknowledging the All-father as some sort of overall power governing the world of the game, and then making accusations against him, judging him, he turns himself into the powerless man railing against the gods, one who thinks he knows better, but hasn't the power to actually do anything about it.

This isn't something I expect to change, jsut something that's bothered me a lot that I felt like venting on. :P
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I for one don't have a problem with that particular vent!

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

uhm...

Not to criticize and thus bring wrath upon my head, but I think I understand a little why Deva does this. The AllFather did interfere with astalavista's final gift to Eiran at the close of the Second Age, did he not? Unless I just totally misread that entire exchange...

...not that I'm complaining, mind you. if he didn't there probably wouldn't have been an Eiran for there to be a Third Age on...
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Murrin wrote:You know, I have never liked the way the whole Allfather thing got moved from the meta-game into the game itself. I dislike it when people bring up the Allfather in an in-game context, or especially when they use him as part of their arguments or reasoning, because as far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with what's going on in-game...
Provided OOC - not for in-game use (yet! ;) ) But since Bel's player brought it up ...

From my Turn 8 results:
A group of your followers in Halym have stumbled upon cryptic references to an "AllFather" and have begun worshiping this mysterious entity; they claim they may read his will in the song of the sea and the mountain wind. One of your own priests who has investigated the cult has discovered something worrisome: not only does the cult somehow not suffer from the Aura of Life's Protection - perhaps because they still pay lip service to you - but also, their so-called "high priest" claims he may communicate with what he defines "the Prophet of theAllFather".
From my Turn 9 results:
Your Paragon is sent to look for this "high priest" of the AllFather. He fails, but he manages to meet with some of the cultists, who claim that their own high priest follows the commandments given to him by the AllFather's avatar, who apparently exists somewhere in Eiran.
nuff said

[Edit: BTW I LIKE a confrontation with the AllFather ... makes it interesting for me! :biggrin: ]
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

Wow! That's really interesting stuff, Deva! What a cool thing to have happen.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, crazy stuff!! :D

I've sometimes had that same feeling about references to the Allfather. (Although Deva's typical references are really cool. :lol:) But I guess it all started when we came up with the Oath of the Allfather. The Greek gods had the river Styx to swear on, eh? It was binding. We need something binding here. If anyone wants Zephyr to believe something, there's no other method I'll trust. And even then, it has to be something Xar is aware of. (That's the problem with Nor Yekith taking the Oath that he was only testing Vadhaka when he asked him to kill Zephyr in P2.) Who feels bound to tell the truth unless there are dire consequences for lying (even though Xar's never said what those consequences are)? But, once we started the Oath, the Allfather was part of the game.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Fist and Faith wrote:Who feels bound to tell the truth unless there are dire consequences for lying (even though Xar's never said what those consequences are)?
...uhm...

I'm assuming you meant since Xar never said what those consequences were in P2? They are spelled out now...
The AllFather wrote:The Oath to the AllFather
This is the most powerful Oath. An Oath to the AllFather can be used either to swear upon the truth of the god's words ("On the Oath to the AllFather, here is the truth about the matter at hand"), or to promise an action - or refraining from an action. Deities can only swear one Oath to the AllFather each per year without fear of retribution: calling upon it more often can bring about unpleasant consequences.
An Oath to the AllFather can be broken in two ways: if the deity who swears it is known to the AllFather to be speaking falsehood (or to be betraying the Oath); or, if the deity swears the Oath and then later performs actions which reveal he/she betrayed the Oath (in case the AllFather was not aware of everything the deity thought). In either case, the consequences are dire. A deity who willfully breaks the Oath suffers a massive reduction in power and number of worshipers, depending on the severity of the Oath-breaking. Alternately, the deity could be stripped of domains, or even - in the most extreme circumstances - banished from Eiran for a variable length of time.
Deities who accidentally break the Oath (because they are forced to by others, for example) do not trigger this response if the AllFather is convinced they did not do it voluntarily; in this case, the deity responsible for making them break their Oath is punished instead.
If a deity tries to trick the AllFather into believing he/she is keeping his/her word while in reality he is breaking it (or setting into motion events that will break it), the severity of the punishment is increased.

A deity can only swear an Oath to the AllFather of his/her own free will: he/she cannot be coerced.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

O-gon-cho wrote:
Loremaster wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:Surely, you don't think I can hold out against you guys.
Well, it is a fact that the Eclipse alliance is more powerful than the other courts . . . but, I believe that you are not so vulnerable as you like to appear.
Curious what the Courts would have to do with Zephyr...
:lol: Surely you do not think the Eclipse Alliance is so naive?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Surely you do not think the Eclipse Alliance is so naive?
Dammit! Who told you?

Zephyr is actually the secret Master of both Courts!

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:Zephyr is actually the secret Master of both Courts!
The way he played with jumping back and forth?
That would not be at all surprising... :lol:

Return to “Pantheon”