Writing Style

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Pharinet
Servant of the Land

Writing Style

Post by Pharinet »

Ok, I'm a newbie here, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, just say so...or move it...or do whatever you fantastic mods deem fit. :)

I mentioned in my intro post that I started blogging about the Chronicles before I thought to seek out other fans. Now, I can share some of my thoughts and hopefully gain some feedback/insight from you fantastic folk!

Please keep in mind that the following were actually blog posts, not necessarily intended for a discussion board. I've edited some of it to be more suitable for this format.

Here goes:

From 6/3
I'm about half way through The Runes of the Earth. Since there are 20 odd years between the first two trilogies and this final set, I though I might notice some marked differences in Donaldson's writing style, but oddly enough, I'm not picking up on too many changes. Perhaps I'm rusty, or maybe they aren't there.

He still seems to pick a few adjectives that he likes to use to describe everything (which is one of the things he does that annoys me, despite his amazing skill and art).

The only change I've noticed thus far, in terms of style, is his sentence structure. He seems to have maintained his verbosity, while tightening, and in some cases shortening, sentence structure. I feel as though I should justify using the word 'verbosity' in relation do Donaldson, but the truth is that, at times, he is verbose. There are times I find myself skimming over a paragraph and not losing any meaning, or reading a page and thinking, "geesh, I didn't need any of that."

In Donaldson's defense, much of that verbosity, at least in the later books, comes from the necessity to inform the new reader, or remind the familiar reader, of what has happened in previous books.
From 6/6
I commented on Donaldson's writing style in a previous post. I said that I had only noticed a small difference in his sentence structure. The other day, though, I noticed something else. I've been cautious about commenting, because I'm not sure if the trend will continue, though I'm relatively certain now it will...at least through The Runes of the Earth.

Previously, Donaldson had shifted back and forth between events, and sometimes even between perspectives. Though there were often times he provided a narrative within a narrative (within a narrative), there never seemed to be an instance of simultaneous perspectives. In this book, he has started doing just that. We haven't seen any shifts between chapters...ie, a chapter discussing what characters x, y, and z are doing and a chapter discussing characters' a, b, and c's actions. He could have easily done so, but he's chosen to forego that route. I'm still waiting to discover why.

I think part of it is because he has devised a way to keep all of the main characters connected, if not together. I also think part of it is his intention to create suspense, but also to give us more of Linden's perspective and the 'unknown.' (I realize as I'm typing this that I'm not articulating it very well today. I may have to revisit this when I've finished more reading and have my head on straight).

Why does any of this matter? Because I think it speaks directly to the idea that writing is a process that becomes more refined the more we do it. Most importantly, though, is that it directly impacts how the reader reads. The impact of simultaneous perspectives along with an action creates a real sense of urgency in the reader, connecting them to the text in an almost tangible way...eyes racing through each sentence, fingers twitching, a feeling of both haste and caution - haste to get through to the next action, to see the outcome, caution not to miss anything.
Forgive my long-windedness.
After having noted these observations, I'm wondering what other changes others have noticed in Donaldson's style. I remember reading something on his website about his fear of taking on the task of the Last Chronicles...and that he sees part of the necessity of the time between the 2nd and Last as preparation on his part, not for the story, but the actual writing.

What do you think?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Welcome to KW!

To me, the main difference is that SRD's style seems to be less operatic now compared to 1st and 2nd Chronicles.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome, Pharinet!

I agree that Donaldson's writing has become more 'spare' since the previous Chronicles. Still the vocabulary, but in a leaner form.

Those of us who have followed Donaldson through Mordant's Need, the Gap Cycle, and The Man Who novels probably don't find his new style as jarring as anyone who's only read the Chronicles. (BTW, you?) Still, when you come back to the Land, you can't help but notice the difference due to the sharp contrast.

There's another thing that's different, that I can't quite put my finger on. But something is very different now about how he uses a character's point of view. What characters seem to notice and know seems different somehow. Characters seem to struggle more without firm conclusions; resolutions seem deferred or omitted altogether. And more and more, Donaldson juggles different characters having very different interpretations, very different impacts, from the same events, something that I see he developed in the GAP cycle.

There's a lot of clues pointing in different directions. This I see from the Man Who series. The Final Chronicles almost read like a whodunnit.

Once I asked a question about this in the GI. I am embarrassed that I could not convey the essence of the question, and so I really did not get an answer. Maybe someone can figure out how to ask the question better.
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:Kevin (Wayfriend)

Dear Mr. Donaldson,

Your writing style has changed, and the time interval between Chronicles makes this very apparent.

I have noticed new kinds of story elements in the Final Chronicles, that I have seen previously in your mysteries. And also some from the Gap, although they are not as easy to see. I am probably am not saying that with the right words, but I hope you know what I mean.

I also have noticed that there are certain types of elements that you no longer seem to use. (And that makes me a little sad.)

How do *you* feel about your new writing style? Is it fitting the Final Chronicles well? Does it help you, or does it make it more challenging? Has it been evolving? Have there been surprises?
  • This would be easier to discuss if I knew specifically what you're referring to. Of course, time, age, and experience have imposed some changes on me. Other changes I've chosen because I consider them beneficial or necessary--or simply appropriate. And *others* have concealed themselves entirely from my notice. But until I know what you have in mind, I don't know what else to say on the subject.

(01/22/2008)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I don't think there's as big a difference as some of you seem to think. It's still unmistakably Donaldson.

At the same time, it's impossible for a thoughtful, self-critical artist to remain static. I think his goals have changed slightly, emphasizing character more than world or setting. But his portrayal of character has always been what set him apart, IMO. That's the reason I read him. Not for the worlds he created, but because he conveyed characters with such conviction that it truly seemed like their imaginary trials actually mattered. His writing always seemed important, and not merely diversionary or escapist.

I don't think his writing is more "sparse" now. In fact, I think his pacing has actually slowed down to take into account more narration. We're getting a lot more character information. . . their motivations, memories, thoughts, impressions, feelings. Sometimes, an entire page can separate individual lines of dialogue, while the character ponders over a whole host of things before responding. Given all the extra room for character info, the amount of words devoted to describing the Land and the setting might seem "sparse" by comparison.

We do get fewer similes, but I really think that's a good thing. His awkward similes grated on me after a while (but that's more a problem in the 1st than the 2nd Chrons).
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Pharinet
Servant of the Land

Post by Pharinet »

wayfriend wrote: Those of us who have followed Donaldson through Mordant's Need, the Gap Cycle, and The Man Who novels probably don't find his new style as jarring as anyone who's only read the Chronicles. (BTW, you?) Still, when you come back to the Land, you can't help but notice the difference due to the sharp contrast.
The only Donaldson works I've read have been the Chronicles. Once I finish FR, I'm very tempted to pick up his other books/stories as well. Perhaps then I'll really be able to get a better sense of the evolution in his style.
wayfriend wrote: There's another thing that's different, that I can't quite put my finger on. But something is very different now about how he uses a character's point of view.
I think I understand what you mean, but Malik23's response might just be what I've noticed. There is a lot less attention on the setting, but I think that's out of necessity. All the wondrous places in the Land are no longer wondrous to me in the way they were at first...the reader is now familiar with Revelstone, Andelain, etc. I think they require a lot less description than they once did. Perhaps the change you noticed in so much in the "how" he uses the character's pov as in the "how much" he uses it...
Pharinet
Servant of the Land

Post by Pharinet »

Malik23 wrote:I don't think there's as big a difference as some of you seem to think. It's still unmistakably Donaldson.

At the same time, it's impossible for a thoughtful, self-critical artist to remain static. I think his goals have changed slightly, emphasizing character more than world or setting. But his portrayal of character has always been what set him apart, IMO. That's the reason I read him. Not for the worlds he created, but because he conveyed characters with such conviction that it truly seemed like their imaginary trials actually mattered. His writing always seemed important, and not merely diversionary or escapist.

I don't think his writing is more "sparse" now. In fact, I think his pacing has actually slowed down to take into account more narration. We're getting a lot more character information. . . their motivations, memories, thoughts, impressions, feelings. Sometimes, an entire page can separate individual lines of dialogue, while the character ponders over a whole host of things before responding. Given all the extra room for character info, the amount of words devoted to describing the Land and the setting might seem "sparse" by comparison.

We do get fewer similes, but I really think that's a good thing. His awkward similes grated on me after a while (but that's more a problem in the 1st than the 2nd Chrons).
I agree there's been a shift in focus, but I differ in the way I view the importance of the world he created

. At first, at least imo, the Land was the focus, especially in the First Chronicles. I always viewed the Land as a character itself...the main character, until the 2nd Chronicles. Then, the focus seemed to shift toward characters and their connections.

I'd actually like to give that idea some more time and thought, but I don't have the time to devote to it at the moment. If I find it, I'll definitely post more.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I definitely notice a shift in his writing, in that now he saying more with less. Given that he's not saying any less, that means we're getting a whole lot more :)

Anyway, what it really seems to be is that he's become more able to convey the inner emotions and thought processes of his characters, and make those things the central focus of his stories. They were always important, but now it seems that the external action takes second place to the internal - something which I relish, as it is what he is best at.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

One thing about his writting style, and I think this started with the GAP, and has grown in the #rd's...is the flashbacks to previous conversations.

I guess there was some of that in the 2nd chrons too...but here in the 3rd's sometimes a though will be interupted by an entire paragrpah, and then picked up again, mid-sentance.

I like it though.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Donaldson says something about this in the front matter to Reave the Just.
In [u]Reave the Just and Other Tales[/u], Donaldson wrote:Nevertheless, I'm aware that my aspirations as a storyteller have gradually shifted focus, especially in the past decade. To repeat a comment I've made elsewhere: "I want all my characters to have dignity." Of the many elements which combine to make up a work of fiction, I've been known to attend more closely to design than to character. This was particularly true in the six Covenant books. But not any more. I'm good at design, and I no longer worry about it. Instead, I strive as carefully as I can to penetrate the hearts of my characters, so that I'll be able to see and value them for who they are.
So there you have it. There is something different about the presentation of characters.
Pharinet
Servant of the Land

Post by Pharinet »

wayfriend wrote:Donaldson says something about this in the front matter to Reave the Just.

So there you have it. There is something different about the presentation of characters.
Thanks so much for the quotation!

While I certainly value the author's own comments on his writing, I think there are things readers notice that the author may not. We have a completely different perspective on his writing than he does precisely because we didn't write it.

So while his comments aren't necessarily the 'final say' for me, they certainly add to the thoughts I've been having about his difference in style.

Thanks again, wayfriend!
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I just finished FR and went right back for another re-read of LFB.

The first thing I noticed is that the chapters in LFB are much shorter, more self-contained.

And I also noticed he spends a lot more time on descriptions of people and settings and objects, in the 1st Chrons. Of course, we are new to the Land and SRD wants to be sure we share his vision of it. By the time we get to Last Chrons, we're on our own, I guess. I mean, if we don't know what Revelstone looks like by now... (although it would have added strength to at least acknowledge what a few thousand years does to stone. )

While later in 1st and 2nd Chrons, the story shifts perspective- memorably when we go off with Hile Troy for a while-- Runes is a return to the single-perspective storytelling that LFB starts off with.

It's all good, though.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I'm three chapters into Runes right now...

...and I'm bored, and so far disappointed:

She gets to the Land, meets one guy-Exposition, then some dialogue with another, then meets a group of others, then speaks with one of those-Exposition, then another comes to meet her-Exposition.

Exposition. I hate overuse of exposition. I'm glad SRD wants n00bs to understand what has gone before and to help peeps bring up the memories, but this is ridiculous. And while the idea that things happen in the Land when no one from the real world is there is great, scenes that are set up primarily for expositional purposes are absolutely anathema to good writing. While Linden needs to know what's changed, the dialogue should happen within a scene that is working towards something different, not just a simple "I need to know what's happened, let's sit here and stop the plot of my story so you can tell me", over and over and over again!!! AAARGGG!!!
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Personally, I enjoyed those scenes, especially those that gave more history of the Land.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Oh, it's not that I dont' enjoy them, it's that they don't move the plot...they just explain things. In fact, there isn't any plot. Maybe that's my probelm: patience.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”