The Chronicles and the Internet

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

The Humbled
Ramen

Post by The Humbled »

In all seriousness I'm glad SRD doesn't spend any time including modern and highly technical details. It would detract from the "timeless" quality of the story, which is such a vital component to this saga. Choosing the level of description to be weighted toward the natural elements is what pulls us into the experience more deeply imo. Even the t-shirt, jeans, and boots TC takes with him originally are a simple and effective manner of dress that is descript enough yet not distracting while in the Land.
:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I agree with your comments. In the 1st Chrons, Covenant's penknife was already incongruous enough in the Land; no additional gadget from the "real world" was needed to make the point (well, minus the ring).

There was also Hile Troy's sunglasses in The Illearth War. Maybe it was kind of funny that no one in the Land ever remarked about his eyewear, but then, it was such a trivial but also such a personal item that it wasn't worth bringing up in conversation.
The Humbled
Ramen

Post by The Humbled »

Yes, I have often considered the incongruity of the Warmark's sunglasses. They served a purpose to his identity however, a metaphoric shield. Straightening them became, to me, similar to TC's vse. A ritual. When he lost them in a fit of despair on the watch, the lack of them then became a metaphor for his vulnerability as the final conflict grew near.

That the people of the Land overlooked them, or merely accepted them as apart of his identity while he had them, seemed natural to me. I always thought that the Land-born earthsight perhaps made people's inner qualities so rich and attention worthy that such things became less important, and perhaps were only given a moment's consideration.
:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I always assumed everyone had 5 years to get over Troy's sunglasses. They probably did talk about them at first...

The Last Words of Atiaran Trell-mate: "He wears the Black Eye-Covers to ward himself from the fire of my lomillialor rod. He has come to ward us from He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Seen and must become the new Warmark!!"
The Humbled wrote:Even the t-shirt, jeans, and boots TC takes with him originally are a simple and effective manner of dress that is descript enough yet not distracting while in the Land.
Yea, imagine if he'd gone to a fancy nightclub instead of the bar in TIW and showed up back in the Land in a tuxedo or something...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

brotherbenji wrote:I agree...there's no need for mobiles or interweb in these stories...unless she took a laptop to the land and got a mysterious wi-fi signal ...

Anyhoo...

c0v3n4nt: Lin, U hav 2 fine me
LinAv: Ok, but this is going to take a while. My downspeeds are terrible here. If only that peak on Skywier was split in half, I might get better speeds....btw, got a link?
c0v3n4nt: ffs lin, wtf is yer prob?
LinAv: ???
c0v3n4nt: U hav 2 find me
LinAv: Huh? I still don't....
c0v3n4nt: HELLFIRE LINDEN!!! RTFM!!!
c0v3n4nt: ...
c0v3n4nt: we need to pwn fowl again before he starts leaching off my broadband...i don't have my hellfirewall anymore, remember?
LinAv: ....??
c0v3n4nt: ffs, i give u my ph4t l3wt, and look wut u do...
c0v3n4nt: just put Stave on. I'll tell him what to do, then you can follow him around all day cryin about it like you always do...
a-Jeroth: LMAO!! pwnt
c0v3n4nt: STFU noob. I'll show you "pwnt" the next time i see U. it's the last 2 chaps of WGW all over again suckr..
a-Jeroth: u h4x0r3d me. I have screens...
c0v3n4nt: post m, d00d... post m if u got m...

I can see it all going down now.

In all reality, isn't Haven Farm supposed to be a rural community, a place for Covenant to get away from the rigors of daily life and write in isolation? He WAS a writer before he became the Wildwielder, ya know....
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

hahahaha !! That cracked me up :)
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

i dunno what rtfm means :?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Have to remember sweetbread for funniest when the next watchies come around.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I like it without the Intrenets and Mobiles and all that crap.. I remember recently reading in ROTE that Linden was almost reconsidering her decision not to have a mobile.

But honestly, they're items which would have no purpose in the Land (except for objects to be thrown in self defence). Very limited range of use in the 'real world' either, and the series is definately more timeless without it..

I remeber reading in ROTE that Linden deliberately got changed into more Land-friendly attire before setting out to confront Roger.. It seems that she was at least half-expecting a return to the Land, so possibly she would have had time to pack.. umm heat?

I know it's been discussed before, what TC could've or should've bought, but he was never prepared or given any warning. Now Linden seemed aware of what could be about to happen, and she did bring her medical bag.. Can't help but thinking she could have bought something else which could also be useful.. Don't most americans own handguns?
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

sweetbread wrote:
brotherbenji wrote:I agree...there's no need for mobiles or interweb in these stories...unless she took a laptop to the land and got a mysterious wi-fi signal ...

Anyhoo...

c0v3n4nt: Lin, U hav 2 fine me
LinAv: Ok, but this is going to take a while. My downspeeds are terrible here. If only that peak on Skywier was split in half, I might get better speeds....btw, got a link?
c0v3n4nt: ffs lin, wtf is yer prob?
LinAv: ???
c0v3n4nt: U hav 2 find me
LinAv: Huh? I still don't....
c0v3n4nt: HELLFIRE LINDEN!!! RTFM!!!
c0v3n4nt: ...
c0v3n4nt: we need to pwn fowl again before he starts leaching off my broadband...i don't have my hellfirewall anymore, remember?
LinAv: ....??
c0v3n4nt: ffs, i give u my ph4t l3wt, and look wut u do...
c0v3n4nt: just put Stave on. I'll tell him what to do, then you can follow him around all day cryin about it like you always do...
a-Jeroth: LMAO!! pwnt
c0v3n4nt: STFU noob. I'll show you "pwnt" the next time i see U. it's the last 2 chaps of WGW all over again suckr..
a-Jeroth: u h4x0r3d me. I have screens...
c0v3n4nt: post m, d00d... post m if u got m...
Love it... :biggrin:
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

ninjaboy wrote:I like it without the Intrenets and Mobiles and all that crap.. I remember recently reading in ROTE that Linden was almost reconsidering her decision not to have a mobile.

But honestly, they're items which would have no purpose in the Land (except for objects to be thrown in self defence). Very limited range of use in the 'real world' either, and the series is definately more timeless without it..

I remeber reading in ROTE that Linden deliberately got changed into more Land-friendly attire before setting out to confront Roger.. It seems that she was at least half-expecting a return to the Land, so possibly she would have had time to pack.. umm heat?

I know it's been discussed before, what TC could've or should've bought, but he was never prepared or given any warning. Now Linden seemed aware of what could be about to happen, and she did bring her medical bag.. Can't help but thinking she could have bought something else which could also be useful.. Don't most americans own handguns?
Oh yes, I have five handguns under each pillow...
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I was only suggesting that it's possible for a Single While Female, and the guardian of such an individual as Jeremy may have considered having something like that for protection. I'm not posting an opinion on gun ownership, just putting a suggestion out there.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”