Who should direct?

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Who should direct?

Post by Stutty »

THE ACTUAL SPACE SCENES AND SPACE BATTLES, CGI EXTRAVAGANZA. THINK BOURNE ULTIMATUM IN SPACE. THE INTERIORS, MINIMAL SPECIAL EFFECTS, MORE THE FEEL OF BLADE RUNNER. AT THIS EXACT MOMENT, PAUL GREENGRASS FIRST CHOICE AS DIRECTOR. TELL ME WHO YOU SEE DIRECTING.

What makes the Gap Gapish?

Who should direct?
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Quoting Blade Runner (best movie ever, sort of) as a point of reference gives me some hope...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Focusing on the characters (and the changes they go through) while establishing an almost film noir setting will be the key.

My suggestions:
Alex Proyas ("I, Robot" and "The Crow") - I think the world he creatd in "I, Robot" was just about perfect [for that story.] And "The Crow" is a great example of dealing with a truly dark storyline and keeping focus on the characters.

Laurance Kasdan - ("The Big Chill", "Star Wars V", and "Star Wars VI")
Great character focus, SciFi experience, just get him depressed or he'll make it too much like the Muppet show.

Ridley Scott - ("Blade Runner", "Alien", "Gladiator")
An obvious choice. But does he have the character focus?

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I know this will be unpopular, and the guy hasn't made a decent film in years, but I'd love to see John Carpenter's take on The Gap. He's got a neat style, and is able to capture characters while he's directing an extravaganza.

Greengrass is probably a really good choice.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Actually, I kinda like Carpenter as an idea. And he has SciFi experience. Ever see "Dark Star?"

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Loved "Dark Star". The cool thing about Carpenter is that he has proven he can direct action, violence, love, loss, and pretty much everything else, and do it well. But all the while, the guy's got a sly sense of humor that adds a level of realism to his work.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Hmmm. Alex Proyas also did Dark City. Possibilities.

David Twohy (Pitch Black, Below) is another alternative.
ItisWritten
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Since Scott and Carpenter (very interesting) have already been suggested I know who not to direct:
whoever directed Chrons of Riddick and whoever directed Judge Dredd and you'd really have to twist my arm hard for Lynch-really hard!
fall far and well Pilots!
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

No Lynch. Never, ever.

Lobotomize me first.
ItisWritten
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

8O Wow! We almost agree on something! :faint:
fall far and well Pilots!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Oh yeah, definitely not Lynch.

Alex Proyas is an interesting choice. I loved Dark City.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I think Peter Jackson would do this justice. His dark stuff was some of the best in LOTR. Plus, he could also play Angus if he puts the weight back on. :)

Of course, he'd have to stop doing that goofy smile. :biggrin:
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

I don't mind Carpenter as long as someone else does the sound track.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
Mind/Union
Stonedownor

Post by Mind/Union »

Werner Herzog seems well suited to the themes, although I would love to see David Cronenberg's take on the Amnion...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Malik23 wrote:I think Peter Jackson would do this justice.
I have to emphatically disagree. :lol:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

God, if he was alive, Akira Kurosawa [think "Ran" and his earlier black-n-white, if you're familiar with him]
Carpenter or Scott if they could reclaim some of their older vision.
Whoever it is doing the new version of "Battlestar Galactica"...I've only seen a few episodes, but he/she seems quite good at claustrophobic/spacious, tech and tears.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Mind/Union
Stonedownor

Post by Mind/Union »

Actually, Cronenberg is my pick. He can tell an emotionally wrenching story (see The Fly or Eastern Promises) and, of course, no one makes SF more physically arresting and gooey.

Return to “The Gap Series”